The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 07:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lights - Latest in CW
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 02:50 
User

CW reviews two new lights

1 Dinotte Ultralight (£150)

These are tiny, stylish and practical fron lights and are the smallest high output lights on the market to date. They use a SW LED - 12 - 15 W halogen and use 4 rechargeable batteries which give 180 minutes in low mode and 100 minuites on high beam continous.

Sits on the bars with o-rings and batteries secured in velcro straps below the stem.

Take a look see on www.on-one.co.uk

2. Lupine Paasublio XC (£250)#

Weighs just 330 g and uses 4.5 Li-ion battery and a 25 W lhalogen bulb. Similar fittings to all other Lupines - and like the others - it has pre-set 2 settings - 16W and 8W and you can adjust to suit your needs and you can programm it to a max of three different settings

CW tested in rural lanes and found that the light was excellent - and really showed the road ahead and all obstacles with ease. Runds for two hours on highes setting and they reckon this new lLupine will cover all trainings and commutes perfectly.

Battery takes 8 hours to charge up .

Mounts on rubber O -rings and the battery fits snugly with a Velcro strap into the battery bage

To have a closer look ... apparently www.zyro.eu.com

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 03:01 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Blimey. I know I spend a few bob on my hobbies, but I would expect to get a bike for the price of those lights. Am I that out of touch?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 03:48 

In Gear wrote:
They use a SW LED

SW? Is that a type I haven't heard of or should it be 3W or 5W?
I have a 1W Luxon Star LED in a torch and wow that thing is bright! (£9.99 from Maplin)
I am interested in bicycle lights as I may attempt to make some at some point. For fun. :)

Roger wrote:
I would expect to get a bike for the price of those lights.

Me too! Well until...
I know someone who cycles mostly for fitness and for the fun of racing. He recently bought a new bike, which cost more than his car. I think it was in the £3000 region. And no, I'm not talking about the type of bike that comes with an engine. This is the kind of bike where the engine is fitted on to the saddle by the user and held there by gravity and it's built-in gyro stabilisers. (although sometimes it falls off and requires patching up and comforting before it'll work again) :lol:

I do think the lights are a bit expensive really though, I do have a rough idea of the cost of the parts, byt then these are designed to be bright and well focused and, I guess, very light-weight.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 13:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ziltro wrote:
I do think the lights are a bit expensive really though, I do have a rough idea of the cost of the parts, byt then these are designed to be bright and well focused and, I guess, very light-weight.

nothing is worth the cost of its parts. Does a Ferrari have £100K worth of parts in it? I think not. A business would go broke very quickly if they only charged what the components cost.

Roger wrote:
I would expect to get a bike for the price of those lights.

well you can buy a very nice bike for the £400 I spent on my Lupine Edison (although my bikes cost substantially more than this) however I have to say this is one of the best purchases I've ever made and I've not regretted the expenditure at all. The lights are small, have a long run time and most of all are exceedingly bright.
What prompted the purchase was getting run-down by someone who claimed they hadn't seen me - despite a relatively bright LED on the front.
This guy wasn't a freak. People obviously see an small LED and think "cyclist, I can beat him" as I was constantly dodging idiots turning into and out of intersections. Since I've been riding with 70W on the front the difference is nothing short of amazing. EVERYBODY stops and waits as they now probably think "SCOOTER, might not beat him".
So, the real question is, is your life worth a few hundred pounds?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 13:22 
User

Think he meant 5W bulbs..... :roll:

Of course - CW is more for your serious sporty cyclists and the reviews are more to do with training, frames, gears and the latest frames and bikes... some of these bikes are in the region of £2k+ complete with all the high tech gadgets.
This week's test rides the Scott TT - frame and fork - £700+ and reviews the new trial frame by US manufacturer "Swiss" :wink: " (Hah.. they get everywhere :lol: ) Frame - er - £800 and a fully gadgeted Swiss with Zipp kit, Cinelli BAT bars, carbon cranks and 808 wheels would cost a :yikes: ":hello: Bank Manager - about the overdraft...." £3500...:yikes:

Nope ... not bought one... have a decent racy Diamond Back...but quite like the look of the folding Cannondale Jacknife ...looks 8-) even includes decent lights. CW claim it performed somewhat "wicked" :evil: in a test :twisted:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 13:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mad Moggie wrote:
£3500...:yikes:

or you could go for a nice Colnago c50 frame - over £2K - with a record groupset £1K. Then you have to add bars, wheels etc. So for around £4.5K you end up with something as sexy as this (although this is 'only' a c40HP):

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 14:13 
User

Wow :bow: That your bike?

Drool..... we use Diamond Backs - Wildy :neko: self and the "kittens" - she does have a traditiona shopper complete with Picnic baskets and we have a couple of Folding Bikes... which I may replace with that neat new Cannondale :twisted:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 14:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mad Moggie wrote:
Wow :bow: That your bike?

yes, that's the 'summer' bike, and very nice it is too - although it does mean I can't blame the bike for being a slow-arse :D I've got a somewhat lower spec'd bike for winter/wet weather use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 16:54 
User

Blimey - and I thought my Giant TCR was the bees knees... 8-)

So which are your fave rides on this beauty?

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 18:18 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In Gear wrote:

well it's been put to good use over the alps and pyrenees doing 3 etapes du tour (see below). I guess its main use is on various club rides around Surrey although I've also done a few races on it. That can be a little worrying though due to the lack of insurance.
I'm currently hoping that the Etape du Tour de Grande Bretagne happens next year, failing that maybe a Gran Fondo is in order? I think I'll also have to do some riding oop North as it sounds far more relaxed and scenic than down this way.

If you're wondering how much fun you can have on pyreneean (sp?) climb check this out :

See how happy I look?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 19:05 
User

johnsher wrote:
In Gear wrote:

well it's been put to good use over the alps and pyrenees doing 3 etapes du tour (see below).

:bow:

Naturally my fave rides are in the Swiss Alps, Dolomites, Austria and Haute Savoie - and of course .. Dales, Lakes, Northumbria and good Co Durham :lol: Have done one challenging set of rides in the Highlands - Glen Coe - Fort William area and another following a loop in the Grampians..

Quote:
I guess its main use is on various club rides around Surrey although I've also done a few races on it. That can be a little worrying though due to the lack of insurance.

I insured mine with Fortis .. gave me a reasonable quote.

Quote:
I'm currently hoping that the Etape du Tour de Grande Bretagne happens next year, failing that maybe a Gran Fondo is in order?

Did you see that piece in CW re Gran Fondo a few weeks back? Stunning photos...and a very down to earth and honest account written up by Dave Barler.

Quote:
I think I'll also have to do some riding oop North as it sounds far more relaxed and scenic than down this way.

We have some great rides around Durham...think I posted one up on here somewhere... and of course the Mad Cats are just spoiled for choice over in the Lakes.... but of course - I'm just across the A66 in reality ... and within easy reach even on a bike... :wink:

Quote:
If you're wondering how much fun you can have on pyreneean (sp?) climb check this out :

See how happy I look?

:bow: Now that's what I call riding.... :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 19:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In Gear wrote:
:bow: Now that's what I call riding.... :lol:

you'd be surprised how many people ask if it's been photoshopped because those mountains look a little too "sound of music". I have some much nicer mountain shots from 2003. I'll see if I can scan the best of them later.

In Gear wrote:
I insured mine with Fortis .. gave me a reasonable quote.

no problem insuring the bike but to cover racing as well would cost around £500/yr.

In Gear wrote:
Did you see that piece in CW re Gran Fondo a few weeks back? Stunning photos...and a very down to earth and honest account written up by Dave Barler.

no, missed that. For me it's really just an excuse to visit Italy :)

Quote:
Naturally my fave rides are in the Swiss Alps, Dolomites, Austria and Haute Savoie

The Netherlands is sounding good right now :D

Last edited by johnsher on Sun Feb 05, 2006 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 20:32 
User

So you like Italy.... ist a lovely country. You need to try Bressano area und Meran .. up to Vorarlberg. Ist South Tyrol und very very beautiful..

I mix ride with car drive... have to as do not have the stamina to keep up with all my disgracefully fitter relatives und pals on these jolly japes. :roll: But am the one with the first aid, pain killers, antiseptic wipes und plasters.... :lol: Und the picnic hampers... in the car.... :D

At moment have gotto 20 miles without feeling too much strain.. ist funny but I do not feel so knackered when I speed skate or have kittens.... :wink:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 20:32 
User

Johnsher - I can see you take cycling seriously, it's the carbon bottle cages that give you away, not to mention the compact chainset!!

Mine's only a 3 year-old Trek 5200 carbon with Ultegra, less than £2K new, but most people who ask how much it was are flabbergasted that cyclists will spend this much on their pride and joy. I wouldn't let your Colnago out of your sight, if I were you, there's lots of criminals around who know how much one of these is worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 20:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

A Cyclist wrote:
I can see you take cycling seriously, it's the carbon bottle cages that give you away

a present from my other half, isn't she great :)

Quote:
not to mention the compact chainset!!

nope, standard 39/53 but carbon. The cassette is a bit unusual though being 13-29.

Quote:
people who ask how much it was are flabbergasted that cyclists will spend this much on their pride and joy.

but would think nothing of spending £20K on a car which will depreciate more than that the first time it's driven. Strange, aren't they? You even get this attitude amongst serious cyclists. "you don't really ride that thing on the road do you?" or "ooh, I could never afford one of those"
Why not? Over 3 years we're only talking £25/wk, or £15 over 5 years.

Quote:
I wouldn't let your Colnago out of your sight, if I were you, there's lots of criminals around who know how much one of these is worth.

it has it's own bedroom :D and is never left alone outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 20:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

WildCat wrote:
So you like Italy.... ist a lovely country. You need to try Bressano area und Meran .. up to Vorarlberg. Ist South Tyrol und very very beautiful..

well I'd like to go, haven't been yet. I'll keep those in mind, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 22:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

{I'm probably going to regret this}

Quote:
Johnsher - I can see you take cycling seriously, it's the carbon bottle cages that give you away,

Why would one want a cage to carry a bottle of carbon - or is it carbonate (ie lemonade/soda)?

Oh - and that's a HUGE pump on the frame... ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 22:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Roger wrote:
{I'm probably going to regret this}

yes, you are

Roger wrote:
Why would one want a cage to carry a bottle of carbon - or is it carbonate (ie lemonade/soda)?

the cages are carbon fibre. The bottles are carrying good old water and gatorade.

Roger wrote:
Oh - and that's a HUGE pump on the frame... ;-)

I presume you're talking about the monkey on the bike and not the actual pump as it really is so small that you can't see it in those shots... to which I say :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 22:44 
User

Why has Johnshers bike got no mudgards? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 22:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest Marsh wrote:
Why has Johnshers bike got no mudgards? :roll:

Dunno - Why has Johnshers bike got no mudgards? :roll: