Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 09:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CW review - Tufo C Elite
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 15:16 
User

Tufo C Elite Cyclos cross 28 LPS (£43)

Tufo’s latest tyre is designed to prevent punctures with normal clincher tyres by using a tubular clincher. – The tubular fits standard clincher rims and is a cheaper alternative to new sets of wheels especially with cross requiring at least one spare set.

CW reckons that 365 g the tyres are pretty good considering they are designed to replace rime tape, tube and tyre – so weight should be considered in the context while allow you to run a lower pressure for better grip.

Apparently the tubular is harder to fit and the tester was worried in case rolled around the rim – ripping the valve out. - but on tests – nothing became unseated. Apparently a profiled rubber band applies the tyre inflation pressure onto the rim shoulders to stop any slippage.

CW’s tester claims the Tufo’s off road grip cuts through mud , corners well despite the narrowness (only available in 28 and 30 mm. He claims the tyre rolls well and is fast .

The top racing model is only available in bright yellow… 8-) 8-) 8-)

Ahhh! :lol: :lol: Solution to being seen at night … YELLOW tyres! Brill!
:D :)

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 22:45 
User

Quote:
Ahhh! :lol: :lol: Solution to being seen at night … YELLOW tyres! Brill! :D :)

Mine are black... but with a Hi-Vis white reflective stripe around the side wall :idea:
I have Scotchlite reflective dots on many of the moving surfaces - on the pedal cranks etc. which seems to do the trick! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 23:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest - not being sarcastic - not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs - does any one do reflective tape to wrap rounfd a bike frame. Mind you - one of our gaffers -ex rail - told us a tale - in london mate of his on scooter with rail hiviz gear - jacket /trousers etc etc got knocked off -excuse "sorry i couldn't see you" - the bloke called 999 and asked for a medical team to test the driver 's eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 00:14 
User

Are you WANTING reflective tape to wrap around? I can get it in 50 metre rolls, up to 600mm wide!!! It is available in different colours. Genuine Scotchlite ® is pricey, but is most effective.

The reason I use dots is I find the effect is one of puzzlement. If a driver is not sure what he is seeing, they are more likely to slow.
Also the moving aspect is more noticeable - a "scanning" LED display is more effective than the steady "Blink Blink Blink" wider bar.

Much of your frame is obscured when riding, and it doesn't change aspect much. I have dots on the parts which show to front rear and side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 00:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest - no - don't need it - my Cosalt jacket is good to be seen at a good distance away( at least 2/300 yds with hand lamps- its a professional one) - was a suggestion for bikes - knowing how good this stuff is - possibly expensive - but is life cheap .Genuine Scotchlite ® - got it on my works clothes - jacket - waterproofs/ work trousers , almost down to my works underwear- never go out on a job without it - it saves lifes - not being sarky - just advertising how much being seen is a necessity these days -

as our lot say --

"FIRST STEP TO BEING SAFE IS BEING SEEN"

Hlds true on the roads as well - i'm a converted safety freak - now i know that safety ids about being seen.