Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 19:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 13:55 
User

This morning - my fave show on BBC (und was channel hopping between this und the Mens'Downhill - which had Frenchman Denariaz taking Gold, Austrian Waldhof in second und Swiss Bruno Kemper in third) -but on the other ... a prog I really enjoy "Countryfile"

What has my Sunday morning lounge in front of telly to do with cycling? :? :)

It was Ben's trip to Sark :) - where "time has stood still" :surprise: und appears to be ultimate "chill out holiday place 8-) 8-) 8-) as nothing ist in rush"

Ist only 3 miles in length und breadth - und there are NO cars at all. :o 650 locals, 40 kids in island school und 2000 bicycles (hired to the tourists in season ) Are no roads - mostly tracks ...

Intrepid Ben cycled und walked around - exploring und he come across as really natural lad - I enjoy his pieces. :) After having enough of the bike :wink: - he took to the luxury of pony und trap - und made the all important comment :shock:

Intrepid und Inspirational Ben on Countryfile wrote:

With no roads und no cars - looks like you save an annual fortune :wink: :wink:

To which :shock: :shock: :? the lady in charge of leisurely pony und trap ride reply

Sarky local wrote:

We pay a lot of tax.... there is tax on all the horses :roll: und a tax on every single bicycle. :P ...

So.. this spell it out - nicht?

With "clyclotopia" come those grown -up responsibilities of cycling tests und licences to ride as density und numbers make legal requirement as HSE requirement - und all government need to get cash via taxation. :censored: :furious: Und you can bet that the bikes will be taxed highly :hissyfit: :furious: to allow for those :banghead: :censored: leading us to keep their chauffeur driven limos, provide public transport/cars for the elderly/disabled who cannot ride bikes.

Thus...

It may "work" for little quaint touristy island of 650 people in English Channel :wink: - und even they are taxed on the bikes. :wink: .. apply this to mainland UK ... und ist not quite the ideal some may think. :roll:

Ist then much better to encourage a healthy mix :wink: - with all road users given COAST/Green Cross reminders as constant to keep it safe out there. :)

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!