Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 20:21

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 13:13 

B cyclist wrote:
Brookwood wrote:
By comparison the road has been artificially narrowed with several islands and pedestrian crossings. Those islands make it impossible to overtake a cyclist safely. Between the islands you have to get very close to the white line if not cross it in order to give the cyclist plenty of room.

It's what they are there for...

Don't blame the cyclists, blame the people whose actions made the pinch point necessary. It is comforting to know that if you are riding 3-5 feet from the kerb at one of these that an impatient driver cannot overtake.

Which white line do you mean? If you mean the central white line in a single carriageway then ideally your should cross it with both sets of wheels, as you should overtake a cyclists giving them at least as much room as a car.

If it is a solid white line then you may not cross it at all unless the thing you are overtaking is going less than 10mph. (Personally I'd like to see this raised to 20mph)

Why not borrow a bike and cycle the cycle path at school time, then cycle the road. When on the road, go through the pinch points as close to the kerb as you can and see what it is like to have a driver squeeze past you.

It seems to me that, unfortunately, it is only really possible to see why cyclists do the things they do if you go and do it for yourself. Mrs B Cyclists recently reminded me that I used to query the sanity of cyclists using a road near me when there was a "perfectly good" cycle path over the same route.

Now I cycle a lot, and I on the road, not the path. :wink:

I wouldn't dream of blaming the cyclist, I am one myself. I now only have one as I sold my hand built sports bike some time ago. Now I am restricted to a cheap mountain bike.

The line between the island is dotted and I tend to cross to give cyclists plenty of room but you do have to be fairly quick and if the cyclist is travelling fast then there is only room for one car to do so.

I did use to cycle that road before the cycle path was there and before the islands when it was a 40mph road and there were no problems at all, the road was very wide and I never felt threatened at all. After the traffic islands went in it was reduced to 30mph and then it made me very nervous particularly as the traffic came along in bunches regulated by the traffic lights at each end.

Then they laid out the cycle path and it was great and still is. Sure at school times it is crowded but I did my original survey at 7.30am on my way to work.

I appreciate that there are obviously a lot of crappy cycle paths and I can quite understand the reluctance to all the dismounting and road crossing that happens at the ends but isn't that a small price to pay for safety?

What I don't understand is if the paths are good why not use them rather than risk life and limb being in such close proximity of one ton of moving machinery in the hands of barely qualified operators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 13:15 

I have just realised this sort of thing is being discussed elswhere it is just that I didn't recognise as the title mentions pedestrians.

Perhaps explains why people were getting uptight.

Post subject: Re: Cycle paths.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 19:04 

Brookwood wrote:
Homer wrote:

Quote:
Because they actually have some consideration for the pedestrians who have to share shared use paths?

Don't actually understand that one. The path is there for cyclists and pedestrians having consideration can still be done on the cycle path.

And it can be done with less inconvenience to the cyclist and perfectly safely on the road.

Quote:
Quote:
The council has spent a large ammount of money to give people the choice. Those who are confident to ride on the road should not be denied that option because we have spent lots of money creating something they never wanted in the first place.

I suspect the cyclists wanted safety and the council thought that seperating them from cars, lorries and buses would be safer. So they built dedicated cycle paths and mixed cycle and pedestrian paths.

I don't think so.

What will have happened is the council will have gone round asking why people don't cycle to work/school/etc. And instead of telling the council to mind their own business, people made up feeble excuses about not feeling safe and how it would be great if we had cycle lanes like they do on the continent (where it's also noticably flatter). So the council go off and provide what they have been asked for. When, if the people had been honest and told them they had absolutely no intention of getting wet and cold and having to provide their own motive power then we might not have wasted a load of money.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 00:21 
User

Homer wrote:
Brookwood wrote:
My question is this: I have been doing a survey and I find that 75% of cyclists seem to prefer to ride in the road with the traffic why is this?

Because they actually have some consideration for the pedestrians who have to share shared use paths?

Quote:
I know cycle paths can be really annoying when they stop and motorists park all over them and pedestrians wander about all over the place but surely if that council has spent large quantities of our money on creating these paths cyclists have a duty to use them for their own safety.

The council has spent a large ammount of money to give people the choice. Those who are confident to ride on the road should not be denied that option because we have spent lots of money creating something they never wanted in the first place.

The Swiss and German authorities get a little "tetchy" when you don't use them - they start issuing fines :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 00:59 
User

B cyclist wrote:
Brookwood wrote:
By comparison the road has been artificially narrowed with several islands and pedestrian crossings. Those islands make it impossible to overtake a cyclist safely. Between the islands you have to get very close to the white line if not cross it in order to give the cyclist plenty of room.

Don't blame the cyclists, blame the people whose actions made the pinch point necessary.

As with cycle paths - there's a target for making crossings as well. Some of these darned efforts have zero to do with attempting to slow traffic and create more of a danger than the danger which they were allegedly trying to "tease out" in the first place.

Quote:
It is comforting to know that if you are riding 3-5 feet from the kerb at one of these that an impatient driver cannot overtake.

Yeah - and they try to overtake you regardless and cyclist either gets a wrap from too close a pass and can fall off - or the driver collides with the bollards and the pedestrian waiting there...

I find these far from "comforting" from a cycling towards one point of view - even in primary position - and from reading various reports from the lads out there of "scrape up the debris" point of view!

Thus not a huge fan of these!
:roll:

Quote:

Which white line do you mean? If you mean the central white line in a single carriageway then ideally your should cross it with both sets of wheels, as you should overtake a cyclists giving them at least as much room as a car.

How about the cyclist in full racing gear on my drive into work today...He was jamming. Nothing wrong with jamming - but you only do if safe.

This guy was riding on the wrong side of the road - more or less into on-coming traffic. I was in my nice official gear myself :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: and - um - he did tell me to go catch some real criminals and asked me if I had now better to do with my time... to which I replied I was doing something very beneficial - "fining someone whose action filled my heart with purre terror by the way he aimed his bike at my car!" :wink:

I expected this guy to blow up in the local press about "nasty chap In "fancy :bib: Gear" nicking humble cyclists.... :roll: "for very little"! But in my opinion - this was "fuiurous pedlalling on a public highway and likely to endager both cyclist and other road user. He nearly rode into [i] me!
:hissyfit: Oh and by the way - any further to the left and I'd have been driving on the pavement! :wink:

That's why I went for him!

:wink:

Plus the rude gesture and the salutes and colourful language to car drivers he was passing... :wink: - he had a hand off his bars and was thus "not in control of his "vehicle"... " :wink:

Quote:
If it is a solid white line then you may not cross it at all unless the thing you are overtaking is going less than 10mph. (Personally I'd like to see this raised to 20mph)

Aye - and he was jamming on the worng side of double whites too... and t he traffic was crawling at a steady 15- 20 mph in waves to the lights...

Quote:
Why not borrow a bike and cycle the cycle path at school time, then cycle the road. When on the road, go through the pinch points as close to the kerb as you can and see what it is like to have a driver squeeze past you.

I though I'd made it clear in my "saftey blurbs" that you adopt a primary in fair time and making your intention to move to this position clear by glance by extendede torso glance back and a firm "count to three" signal as you approach these.

You are narrow as a cyclist and thus could be a SMIDSY via a design pillar - and we have to make ourselves "appear larger" at these points. One way is the fuller gentle torso twist (bit like that thing wedo at yoga! ;) (Wildy does it to keep supple as part of her ongoing rehab routine - and got us all enthused :lol: ) instead of the mere "over shoulder"

Quote:
It seems to me that, unfortunately, it is only really possible to see why cyclists do the things they do if you go and do it for yourself. Mrs B Cyclists recently reminded me that I used to query the sanity of cyclists using a road near me when there was a "perfectly good" cycle path over the same route.

If the path is "full of debris" - write and complain to the council and Highways Agency. It got cleared up... but - um - I do have a bit of - er clout when I gets going. :twisted: The lass on the other end got the full acid when she tried a "jobsworth" on me! :twisted:

But if you don't complain - you get nowt. Learned from my foreign relatives that you "kick the right ass and sass when appropriate" (appears to be their family motto! :roll: ) and accepting cycle lanes full of garbage and debris seems to imply "satisfaction with the status quo"

Quote:
Now I cycle a lot, and I on the road, not the path. :wink:

I ride on both - but I do alert the authorities to clean up some of the paths which are too dangerous to use - and those narrow token completely useless ones?

"Come the revolution .. Grrr!" :twisted:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 01:10 
User

johnsher wrote:
Brookwood wrote:
I wouldn't wish to deny anybody the right to do anything legal but isn't it more difficult in the event of an accident between a motorist and a cyclist to answer the question "why wasn't the cylclist on the cycle path?"

great, so now we want to legalise running down of cyclists not using crap facilities because they should be off OUR roads!

I thought this was a cycling forum not a Sun "we pay 'road tax' and therefore own the roads" nutters forum.

Sure we have a problem addressing and building paths which compare to continental ones because of space available on may of our roads.

But where there is a really well thought out one - they are great. I do use one which runs alongside a busy dual carriageway - Its fantastic and was there from the road being built.

Perhaps when we build new roads - we should bear a decent safe facility in mind .

Of course - if there is a good cycle path and a collsion between driver and cyclist - we would look at the condition of the path to ascertain why the cyclist was not there - and we would also be looking at the direction the cyclist wished to take.

For example - did he wish to take a right hand turn and had moved into the road way to begin to negotiate his path to his intended destination ..?

Lot of things to take into account when we look into why something horridly tragic happened to all parties concerned

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:49 

I witnessed an altercation this morning on my walk to work in the very place I have been talking about.

A motorist overtook a cyclist in the narrow part. The cyclist had twisted round just before being overtaken and didn't appear to wobble but as the car went past he unleashed a torrent of foul abuse at the driver.

The motorist could've slowed down or adjusted his speed for a second or two because at that point the restriction is very short but it didn't cause the cyclist to wobble or steer away or apparently cause anything more than the abuse.

BTW I would estimate the speed to be well less than the posted 30mph limit.

I was walking a on a wide totally deserted (apart from me) combined pedestrian and cycle path.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 14:11 
User

In Gear, were you trying to make a point?

I sort of missed it....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 21:05 
User

johnsher wrote:
how safe do you believe it is for a cyclist to be doing 20-30mph on this pedestrian path you're talking about?

Ach Liebchen ... ist matter of COAST...

If am on shared path und there are people I make sure my bell ist rung to alert und I do reduce the speed [i[ in exactly the same way as I do in my car und I really see NO DIFFERENCE or even an argument in this approach to other road users.

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 21:16 
User

B cyclist wrote:

I sort of missed it....

Liebchen I would say point he make lie in fact that "some cyclists are all lycra clad bottoms farting und not doing themore solid business." :lol:

Ist not perhaps "ladylike thing to say - but have been on phone to sister who ist baddest influence on me... :twisted:
She ist Mama's girly who ist all laddy und I apologise for quoting her as am supposed to be the ladylike one.... :) But it was too funny not to quote .. und I am still in jet lag mode... und .. ach...

But anyway - ist fact - nicht? that cycle lanes appear to fill with debris und no one report it? Think IG say we should all kick ass on this und if majority complain - then something get done.

Will say that fining litter lout appear to cut down on some of this debris...

Und other point he make

in interest of justice - und to establish to victim und family und person who cause chaos und his family - he ist honour bound to investigate properly to help justice deliver fairly

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 02:02 
User

B cyclist wrote:

I sort of missed it....

Well to be honest - I did not udnerstand what point you were trying to make with

B Cyclist wrote:
Brookwood wrote:

Don't blame the cyclists, blame the people whose actions made the pinch point necessary.

The crossing islands in the middle of the road were placed there to try to shorten the distance pedestrians had to cross to reach the other side of the road - at points where pelicans just would not work or be possible due to other restrictions. It also breaks the zebra into two and each half should be treated as separate. Also helps the pedestrian in that they only need to look in one direction.

These were then not placed there to "slow drivers or help cycliss" but to help pedestrians :wink: cross a road.

But Brook wood is not saying he passes at the pinch point but raher that he finds when the road widens out in the stretches between say - three sets of such crossings - he finds he runs near the white line on a clear overtake. If it is a broken line and safe to do so - no problem.

I must say that most of them appeaar to have a red hatched area (which runs where the old centre line was) and if the line is broken - you may cross it without too much risk of conflict as these have usually replaced the old centre line from the "good old days"

But I do not find it "comforting" in the least to have an impatient driver bearing down on me as I cycle in primary towards these - especially if it's a large truck or van. All too often they try the dangerous overtake and this leads to severe problems. I know - because we invariably end up breaking bad news at some point.

Thus I would rather not have an artificially narroed raod - narrowed just for the sake of some red paint and bollards down the middle and some token green paint at the side in whihc I am supposed to ride the bike.

I'd rather have the old wide road with just the the one zebra with a pause point bollard in the middle or a toucan crossing if possible. That way I can be sure that my secondary position is safe and anyone can pass me if they want to . Am fairly nippy on the bike - but not in class of Armrstong, Ullrich, Hutchinsons or the legendary Fedor Den Hertog, Phil Bayton and Phil Edwards who were my heroes when I were a wee lad! :lol:

I remember his saying when he lost to Ovion in a Tour Stage (was a school lad following the Tour)

The losers today are the winners tomorrow!"

I think this was the most moralising advice I heard and in 1971 (gulp) I was .. er just 17 and learning to drive and was on my A Level years o.. :wink:

But back to the thread... approaching a pinch requires a lot of observation oin the part of the cyclist. You need to negotiate with the driver - eye contact is essentially crucial l

You plan and should be prepared for selish oik not letting you adjust position. Just let hiome go and calmly make the same negotiation and fix cheesy grin on face as well for the next driver - you do find majority play the game properly with you. Oiks are fortunately the minority as are the pretend cyclists who dress the part - but don't act it. :wink:

We know many of the paths are just token meaningless target filling and a waste of space. So - we lobby those repsonsible and if there is debris on these paths - then the Highways Agency are not fulfilling an obligation and target to keep the roads clean - so you pick up the phone, and do what you do best on an internet forum but not in reality - and complain about it. (unless you are called Paul Smith of course :hehe: - in which case you chase Dick up Snowdon and manage to gain a foothold here and there :wink: )

Likewise you complain about plain daft bike lanes which go nowhere or or so dangerous that only a complete fool would bother with them Apparently Mad Doc has recieved word that his list of complaints over some dangerous lanes in Cumbria are being "investigated" - he is now waiting with baited breath as to whether or not the fading green pain will be renewed... :wink:

But he's tried to do something

But - If you have a good one - use it. Bad ones - avoid.

Vote with pedal power. :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:19 

You talk common sense In Gear as usual.

Funnily enough on my way to work this morning an old gentleman who usually passes me on the cycle path was cycling in the road. Not much traffic about at 7.30am so perhaps it really is the road surface. He is not bothered about speed because he is usually travelling at about 10-15mph but obviously prefers the road but not when there is traffic about.

Incidently that made it 100% in the road this morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 18:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Quote:
(IG) If the path is "full of debris" - write and complain to the council

Also very usefull if you find potholes on roads etc - county councils like mine have a complaints page, all done on the net - --eg pot holes etc etc - ideal to keep a copy and then if no action --forward copy to your local county man - most are only too willing to help - (being cynical ==expenses) (not being cynical ==good pr for may time elections)

either way - it works -unless ours is suberb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:28 
User

Interesting topic this as I live in a village that is part of a borough that is both a "Town on the Move" and one of the new Cycling Towns with a very large grant to promote cycling.

Recently a combined foot/ cycle path opened between our village and Neasham. Nice surface on the part separate from the road except where vehicles have sprayed grit over it and I have used it whenever there are no pedestrians about. Cyclists and pedestrians don't mix whatever anyone tells you as the latter are unpredictable even when you give a warning of your approach.

In the town the new bus lanes on the main roads are a nice safe haven for cyclists so I use them. The cycle lanes, however, and there are many are only fit for speeds slower than the 15 mph I ride at. Why? Because they keep ending at side roads with "Give Way" markings and restarting after you have crossed the intervening road. Reserved cycle tracks through residential areas invariably are peppered with little bits of glass and I am not going to risk a puncture so I don't use them, full stop.

I have seen a really good reserved cycle lane on Teesside - it runs alongside the dual-carriageway A19 between Portrack Lane and Billingham.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 21:50 
User

A Cyclist wrote:
Interesting topic this as I live in a village that is part of a borough that is both a "Town on the Move" and one of the new Cycling Towns with a very large grant to promote cycling.

Recently a combined foot/ cycle path opened between our village and Neasham. Nice surface on the part separate from the road except where vehicles have sprayed grit over it and I have used it whenever there are no pedestrians about. Cyclists and pedestrians don't mix whatever anyone tells you as the latter are unpredictable even when you give a warning of your approach.

Nor do cars and pedestrians :wink: But any thing which moves can do a nasty injury and if uou are on wheels or in a wheeled machine - you have to give way to the two and four footed road user. :wink:

You savour is of course COAST :wink: and Frankli's "Cycle Craft" may not mention the acronym in name - but it sure is there! :wink: :D regardless of what some people in the "unmentionables" may think - but we cannot possibly comment :wink: :wink:

Quote:

In the town the new bus lanes on the main roads are a nice safe haven for cyclists so I use them. The cycle lanes, however, and there are many are only fit for speeds slower than the 15 mph I ride at. Why? Because they keep ending at side roads with "Give Way" markings and restarting after you have crossed the intervening road.

Well - you have to give way at junctions in a car? What's the difference? :D :lol: :wink:

Basically - same procedure - slow - look and go if safe to proceed. I have not one problem with this. :wink: Either in my car - on my motorbike or on my trusty Giant of a bike. :wink:

Quote:
Reserved cycle tracks through residential areas invariably are peppered with little bits of glass and I am not going to risk a puncture so I don't use them, full stop.

We are advising the litter wardens target and fine these yobs who find thus "funny" ... :x My wildest dreams know what I would like to do about these complete louts - but we have to stay professionally calm about this,... :wink:

Quote:
I have seen a really good reserved cycle lane on Teesside - it runs alongside the dual-carriageway A19 between Portrack Lane and Billingham.

Aye - we have some good'uns around here. I do forget that London etc have some very different issues to deal with at times.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:22 
User

In Gear wrote:

Well - you have to give way at junctions in a car? What's the difference? :D :lol: :wink:

Basically - same procedure - slow - look and go if safe to proceed. I have not one problem with this. :wink: Either in my car - on my motorbike or on my trusty Giant of a bike. :wink:

Well the difference is that in the car you have pedals that can be used with very little effort. The pedals on the bike need a lot more effort to keep slowing down or stopping as appropriate and then restarting or speeding up again. It is much less effort and probably less hazardous overall to ride on the road than on the adjacent cycle path which crosses the junctions with joining roads/ streets and eventually joins the road anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 00:59 
User

Have pedalled along most of the lanes around here. Some are OK - and some ... :hissyfit: :banghead: :hoppingmad: - simply there to make up some "target" . :roll:

A Cyclist wrote:
In Gear wrote:

Well the difference is that in the car you have pedals that can be used with very little effort. The pedals on the bike need a lot more effort to keep slowing down or stopping as appropriate and then restarting or speeding up again.

Um - to slow .. I just let my fingers gently caress the levers on the bars... the one controlling the rear brake...

Else you end up with a "run away bike ... " :yikes: :wink: I find this gentle action enbales me to maintain my cadence OK....

In fact - I prefer to stop and restart rather than end up squished...I want to be a grandad at some time ... :wink:

Quote:
It is much less effort and probably less hazardous overall to ride on the road than on the adjacent cycle path which crosses the junctions with joining roads/ streets and eventually joins the road anyway.

In some instances - Bannerigg being one... the cycle path is infintitely safer than the road- and if I think the lane is a better option - then I certainly use it.

I never use the plain daft ones and when I come across the obviously stupid - someone in't town hall gets a bit fed up with me :twisted:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:19 
User

Mad Moggie wrote:
Else you end up with a "run away bike ... " :yikes: :wink: I find this gentle action enbales me to maintain my cadence OK....

sorry..?

you brake rear wheel only? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 19:09 
User

Mad Moggie wrote:
I want to be a grandad at some time ... :wink:

Yikes!

I thought you were a woman!!! :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 20:58 
User

Many dual carriageway roads built in the thirties had separate cycle tracks on each side separated from the main carriageways by a grass strip. The A570 going north from its junction with the A580 East Lancs Road is a classic example. Trouble is most cyclists don't use them !!

Here in Crewe we have had two complex signalled roundabouts with clearly signed separate cycle paths around them with their own traffic lights, yet, againthe cyclists don't use them.

Perhaps the regular cyclists on this forum can tell us why, as a lot of money has been spent for their benefit without apparent result.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next