Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 14:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:52 
User

This is a quote from none other than the Deputy Editor of one certain Cycling Mag.

OK - so it's C+ - and the May issue plopped on my doornat a couple of weeks ago.

The letters page carries a comment on Eleanor Parson's experience of a cycling course and the reader picks on Elaenor's comment in the piece that

Eleanor Parsons - April issue wrote:

Unlike drivers - novice cyclists don't have a big L sign

This reader claims the opposite - she sports one on her pannier and on her back

She's even seen horsey people wearing them (yep - she's right - have seen some do so)

She says

Emma on C+ letters page wrote:

Believe it or not - drivers do take notice of me

Right - guys! Serious question - would this help our new cyclists. Bear in mind - no matter how they dress - we have NO idea as to how seasoned they are in the art of commuting - and NEW cyclists are normally the ONES who wear helmets - you can usually tell them - they tend to go for the basic from Halfords, Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Asda - as opposed to trendy "match me lycra" cool cool! - complete with light on top!

By the way - the budget ones - if they conform to British /EU standards and they do at above outlets per my scrutiny the other week whilst shopping with my wife - nowt wrong with them. Just as good as the expensive ones - you pay for a brand make in reality.

Emma comments on Eleanor's other comment in the piece - one which I mentioned in the ready reference of safe practice per police courses and Cycle Craft. You try to twist at the waist to make yourself appear "bigger" and to get a better look of what's behind.

This does help - but as Emma points out she tends to turn the bars when she does so and Emma is more for the look without turning shoulders.

Yep - this basic glance back tells you what you need to know - but on some roads you really do need to see what's way back at some speed.

As I pointed out back in November - the twist is an acquired skill and does take a lot of practice.

However, pleased to say Emma also enjoyed this useful article in the April issue.

She then goes on to the matter of - helmets! Apparently the deputy editor of the magazine made a comment about UV affecting helmet life. Emma apparently works in the aviation industry and suggests that manufacturers could consider using an opaque paint - a point which C+ are going to take up with manufacturers.

I think a good letter.

So - how difficult is the "twist" - and I'd like some of the non-cyclists to borrow a bike and just try it. on a deserted car park or somewhere of course!

And should new cyclists use L plates?

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 13:03 
User

L plates designate a driver that has not yet passed a test and is being supervised by a suitably qualified driver.

So no. It's nonsense. Unless you put L plates on pedestrians too. And on policemen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 13:42 
User

B cyclist wrote:
L plates designate a driver that has not yet passed a test and is being supervised by a suitably qualified driver.

But since the CTC is behind a National Standard - and if we all ride bikes - we may indeed end up with tests and L plates for cyclists. :wink:

You need to be careful what you dream of.. dreams turn to nightmares.

Quote:
So no. It's nonsense. Unless you put L plates on pedestrians too. And on policemen.

We use reins on the little ones in this family.

Proabtioner cops are always under some supervision by the way. They have to develop their skills and be professionally advised. They keep a training log - regularly checked too.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 13:54 
User

In Gear wrote:
Proabtioner cops are always under some supervision by the way. They have to develop their skills and be professionally advised. They keep a training log - regularly checked too.

But do they have L Plates?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 15:57 

B cyclist wrote:

Or they're riding a moped delivering pizzas... :P

I think the L plate means "asume I will make mistakes" so it could well be a good idea for bikes too.
Although is it legal? I didn't think you were allowed to display L plates when driving a car if you aren't a learner, so wouldn't that go for bikes (and maybe horses) too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 01:28 

In Gear: "She then goes on to the matter of - helmets! Apparently the deputy editor of the magazine made a comment about UV affecting helmet life. Emma apparently works in the aviation industry and suggests that manufacturers could consider using an opaque paint - a point which C+ are going to take up with manufacturers."

This idea was tried with hard hats but was found to counter productive for a variety of reasons:

After two year accumulated knocks, bangs and digs from being dropped, poorly stored etc the paint had been scraped off inplaces and the helmet had been weakend from abuse, also people forget about replacing helmets.

When users heard that the hard hats had a protective coating albeit for UV, they erronously thought that it was a protective coating against chemicals, and in particular felt that they could use permanent marker to label the hard hats - solvent in marker pens degraded the coating and the helmet.

Ok slightly different but something I remebered.

See Mr Keeley I was awake in your lecture !!!!!

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 08:55 
User

B cyclist wrote:
In Gear wrote:

But do they have L Plates?

Not sure if this applies to all forces, but when they are on the road, YES in Cumbria.

I think we also get white Volvo's from Lancs cruising in South Lakeland, which also state in a little red notice on the back, "Driver undergoing advanced instruction".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:25 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

B cyclist wrote:

Frankly, there are people who should have them on their person at all times, to warn others that they haven't learnt to be a human being yet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 17:15 
User

[quote="the excellent prof"

Frankly, there are people who should have them on their person at all times, to warn others that they haven't learnt to be a human being yet![/quote]

:bow:

How I wish this were possible. :hehe:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 19:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
How about a "N" plate (As in NEW) in some colour designed to stand out from the standout colours of standard cycling kit