Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 06:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Shropshire Obstruction
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 13:36 
User

This letter appeared further down the C+ letters page :roll:

Chap writes that he was on a downhill in a race . 30+ mph - rural area.

Anyway this chap complains that he was overtaken at a "dangerous speed". He says the speed was too fast for the narrow conditions and he nearly ended in the gutters.

I agree - not wise move on part of the driver. Might have had words if I'd seen something like this anyway as bike and car into narrow do not go!

He continues that on the flatter stretch he sees said car driver stopped by some houses and opposite another parked car on the other carriageway and chatting to some people and the rider manoeuvred his bike through a narrow gap to the left.

He then says the car appeared behind him again - passed them and then braked abruptly. The rider hit his brakes and went over the bars. His helmet hit the rear window

(Um :scratchchin: I dread to think what might have happened without his lid! )

Rider picks hiself up - no damage to himself or his bike. Driver gets out and the rider prepares to ask what the hell did he think he was doing? Rider is just :furious:

Driver produces a Warrant card - allegedly - and allegedly tells the rider that he was going to do him for "obstruction" :roll:

Rider sets off - a bit shaken by his brush with the Law wondering why he did not use his camera and take some details as he had these items No charges brought... apparently.

Hang on - he said he was in a race :? I travel light if getting in touch with my race bike

Now this incident was precipitated by the abrupt stop . The rider claims to have investigated Traffic accidents (he claims to be a reitred RAF Squadron Leader - not a retired Policeman or loss adjustor for a motor insurance company). But he does ask the right sort of questions

1. What if he had not been wearing a helmet?

2. Could he have been seriously injured?

3. He was the "following vehicle" - so was he at fault.

(In the latter - not necessarily as the insurance companies have tightened rules following a number of rear ender scams and if person slams on - we may do the brake tester for dangerous or undue care based on the evidence we obtain in the even of a serious)

The writer sadly leaps to the conclusion that the officer in his alleged incident and the double whites/obstruction cyclsit are the same one.

Does not follow and yes - I think this officer was bang out of order if this is a true account. Pity he did not get name, rank and number so that this could be investigated and kicked into touch by his guvs.

As for the other incident - there is much more to that one given the CPS are going through with it - and the true details are sub judice anyway.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message