Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Holiday Ideas
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 14:04 
User

Well now is the time some of us go on hols. Recently - went to Burgundy - Yep the wine .. and the food.

But check this one out guys (For drivers - there are some neat roads - very scenic and a pleasure to use)

But for those of us who like the wind noise against our helmets! :hehe: Cluny in Southern Burgundy - we have cycling heaven.

Disused railway lines and canal paths have been converted into this scenic and challenging network of cycling paths - and get this - part of a NATIONAL network so you can ride everywhere and anywhere you want to! You can hire the bikes at the railway staion and just ample along dropping off bikes - getting train and riding another hire bike somewhere else in theory. Your hotel even moves uour luggage.. per train of course! :wink:

I have some nice photos of my hols.. shall see if I can share them some time - but uinlike Mad Doc - who's gone digital - I like my Box Brownie and my old Pentax 35 mm SLR - so you'll have to wait till I develop and scan them and even then I am not sure how to get the photos on the site as not done this before. :roll:

However I am aware Alice took one of me falling off my bike into a load of nettles - and I insist this shot never makes it to the family album! :lol:

For cyclists there a real GEM of a museum here. "Musee du Velo" 70 bikes on dispaly - plus the prototype of 1817. You get a guided tour from the owner M Louis - who has been "collecting since Bof ... la guerre!!" :lol:

Blimey - they did not have padded saddles in them days! :shock:

Just across the road from this jewel of a museum - "Aux Berges de la Grosne" provided us with a three course meal - home cooked - fair price and definitely on list for second helpings! :lol:

Added to this couple of visits to wine chateaux - I had a good time! :lol:

Just though I would open up a thread to share and pool suggestions for holiday ideas - which combine drives and rides!

Who knows - some may try out and learn to ride on this type of holiday - Site Ludosport www.ludisport.com has some suggestions and riding courses.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 14:16 
User

Mike recommends one trip he did in Tuscany and suggest I post it up here for him

The Yorkshire felines took a holiday with World Expeditions

www.worldexpeditions.co.uk

Beauty of these is that they are "self guided" trips. You explore yet have that support of accommodation, breakfast and luggage transfer - plus a minbus option, train transfers, bike hire, maps and suggested routes and places worth a visit. There is a 24/7 hotline if case of problem.

The Yorkshire felines toured Vinci, Pisa, Sienna, Lucca, Florence and the Chianti region :lol:

They found it relaxing as all they had to worry about were decent lunch and dinner spots - as they meandered at a leisurely pace through olive groves, vineyards and medieval Tuscan villages.

They reckoned they had a reasonable holiday for a fairly reasonable price.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 19:28 
User

Brescia - loads of decent twisties to ride and drive on!

Also - c'mon they have the Mille Miglie CAR Rally :lol: :lol:

Now that's the real reason for going there - every May vintage cars head for Roma! 8-)

Apart from the medieval part of town, Lake Iseo - Pinot Grigio.. Merlot..Franciacorta (il Mosnet) :cloud9: Great bike rides round there too :wink:

Not far from Lake Garda either. Power speed boats are still allowed .. Sirmione .. ahhhhh!

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 19:44 
User

Or for those of us who like a bit of speed :lol:

The River WILD! Mountain biking and white water rafting on the River Brenta, walks in the Campolongo forests, horsey riding on the Asagio Plateau and some good ol' fashioned mountain biking up and down Mount Zebio.

:twisted:

Not too far from Venice and Verona -so you can have a bit of "culture" as well. :wink:

We did this one a couple of years ago. Four star hotel and all food - including picnic hampers provided. Unfortunately they operate a minimum age of 8 years these days. We got around it by opting for activities the younger boys could do safely at the time. We plan to do this one again some time all the same.

Both Brescia and Veneto are not too far from "Gardaland" and "Canevaworld" - fairly decent themeparks. Kids love it. :lol:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 02:46 
User

http://www.chateautochateau.com/CyclingT4D.htm

Might give you a few pointers! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:54 
User

Cheers Ern - that sounds a nice holiday site. Unfortunately my wife has seen the "perfume tour" ... :shock:

If she has her way - I am in for some smelly holiday! :roll:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 20:00 
User

Dont Worry!!

There is a Brandy and Champagne tour - and your wife could do all the driving!!! :lol:

I used to be a member of the Corvousier Club, and as such had a standing invitation to visit Jarnac.
My parents were going past that way, an I urged them to visit, and mention that I was a member. When they got to the Chateau it was closed for the winter.
Undeterred, they approached the entrance, to be met by a young lady who told them it was closed - in perfect English. Turned out she was from Blackburn (OK it couldn't have been THAT perfect!!). She was the English speaking guide there during the tourist season, and was living there during the closed season.

On telling her of my association with their product, she immediately invited them in for a private tour - which was extensive given the limited numbers and lack of a schedule!!

Not only did they get to have a taste session, but they were given miniatures for my father (who was driving) and myself, along with a complimentry "Corvousier" waiters friend for me!

I'm sure it would be possible to visit by bicycle using the Voie Verte (spl?) routes, which more often than not follow old railway routes which have been made redundant in the past.
These are completely car free, and only rarely cross roads where bridges have been removed.
Accomodation is usually available close by.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 01:20 

In Gear, why worry about scanning your photos, most developers will put 35mm on CD when they develop for you.

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 20:10 
User

Hey IG, you kept this quiet!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4765155.stm
Quote:
A £1m bridge was being lifted into place on Saturday as part of an upgrade of a popular cycle route which runs from Cumbria to Sunderland.

The 67-tonne, 60-metre-long structure will replace the old railway bridge over the A6076, in Stanley, Co Durham.

I guess that £1 million will be a bit less for the police overtime/doughnut budget? :lol:
Better slip in a couple of cameras, with a coin in the slot/card swipe system to recoup some dough? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 20:14 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Hey IG, you kept this quiet!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4765155.stm
Quote:
A £1m bridge was being lifted into place on Saturday as part of an upgrade of a popular cycle route which runs from Cumbria to Sunderland.

The 67-tonne, 60-metre-long structure will replace the old railway bridge over the A6076, in Stanley, Co Durham.

I guess that £1 million will be a bit less for the police overtime/doughnut budget? :lol:
Better slip in a couple of cameras, with a coin in the slot/card swipe system to recoup some dough? :D

:lol:

I forgot about this ... speaking of bridges - for 41 euros you can drive over the Milau viaduct which means Perpignan is a mere 6 hours from Paris as a result :wink:

Apparently this was designed by British Lord Norman Foster and is the world's highest bridge. The French are flocking to use it :lol:

They reckon they'll recoup build costs in record time .. :lol: Oh and the speed limit: 80 mph! :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 20:16 
User

Safety Engineer wrote:
In Gear, why worry about scanning your photos, most developers will put 35mm on CD when they develop for you.

Cheers mate. I shall now ask them to do so,,, have some really nice photos of my hols though I do say so myself. :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 20:31 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Dont Worry!!

There is a Brandy and Champagne tour - and your wife could do all the driving!!! :lol:

Now that sounds more like it. Alice likes the odd glass of wine every now and then .. but prefers water. :lol:

Quote:
I used to be a member of the Corvousier Club, and as such had a standing invitation to visit Jarnac.

I once visited the Asbach Uralt Brandtwein place in Rudesheim am Rhein. Quite an interesting visit.. and not a bad little tipple. :wink:

Quote:
My parents were going past that way, an I urged them to visit, and mention that I was a member. When they got to the Chateau it was ]

closed for the winter.

Wildy would have said "Schade" I think "Quel dommage" and "sacre bleu and perhaps even "merde" :lol: or " BOF!"

Quote:
Undeterred, they approached the entrance, to be met by a young lady who told them it was closed - in perfect English. Turned out she was from Blackburn (OK it couldn't have been THAT perfect!!). She was the English speaking guide there during the tourist season, and was living there during the closed season.

My guide at the Asbach place hailed from ... Durrum! :lol: The other one in the tourist shop on the site was from Colorado and knew Klaril :roll: Small world - eh?

Quote:

On telling her of my association with their product, she immediately invited them in for a private tour - which was extensive given the limited numbers and lack of a schedule!!

Not only did they get to have a taste session, but they were given miniatures for my father (who was driving) and myself, along with a complimentry "Corvousier" waiters friend for me!

Just proves that being chatty, sociable and polite opens doors :lol: Good on you!

Quote:

I'm sure it would be possible to visit by bicycle using the Voie Verte (spl?) routes, which more often than not follow old railway routes which have been made redundant in the past.
These are completely car free, and only rarely cross roads where bridges have been removed.
Accomodation is usually available close by.

Now that really opens possibilities. :wink:

I do enjoy the odd (hic) drinky .. but I never ever drive a car or ride bike or motrobike until I KNOW I am well below any limit. If in doubt - Alice (my lovely wife) does the driving. She's figure conscious -
:roll:

Ern - you met her once last year - and I think you can confirm that she does not look 43 years nor look like she's had four kids. She has the odd glass of wine every now and then - but her fave tipple? Slice of lemon in plain old water. :lol:

Hence - she drives after all social "dos" :lol:

I chose well! :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 20:46 
User

Asbach Uralt? That's the one with a spider web pattern on the packaging?

Booths did a German Food promotion in Windermere a few years back, and I got chatting to the Asbach rep.

He was so keen to convert me that he GAVE me a bottle! It was OK, but a little rougher than the French number. No wonder the Germans went on two extended holidays their to stake their claim! :roll:

I think I have finished all my Hine Antique and VSOP, and I cant afford to buy any more unless I take out a second mortgage! :lol:

Are you sure you want me to confirm your fine tastes extend to women too?
It might go straight to her head!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 00:35 
User

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Asbach Uralt? That's the one with a spider web pattern on the packaging?

Yep .. I enjoyed my little touristy visit to the factory and they gave me a bottle of this stuff and my wife a box of Asbach chocolates as well :lol:

Nice little place .Rudesheim am Rhein . very touristy though. :roll:

We stayed in the main hotel there as were touring at the time. Our kids were very taken with a bed in a wine giant wine barrel :lol:

Quote:
Are you sure you want me to confirm your fine tastes extend to women too?
It might go straight to her head!! :wink:

Ah.. she's pretty enough - I do feel a sense of macho pride when she dresses up a bit though.

Her main complaint about me? She feels as if she's on a driving test each time she drives me anywhere .. :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 00:58 
User

Fkicking throuhg my copy of C+ they go "Deutch"

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Since they do appear to lurk 'ere .. I've seen things we've said on 'ere about CTC courses and so on now being in the mag as their intrepid staff investigate :lol: :lol: :lol: - it's spelt D E U T S C H!

Tssst! Even a first day "Germanist" can tell you that Honestly ... I do think we do miss out by our British refusal to learn another lingo. I think I get more value out of my own hols by being able to use some stock basics... though I think my German is OK through the Swiss riff raff - and my French - so-so-so... enough to get by.

Anyway - despite the proof reader not seeing this mis-print :wink: - magazine rekindled memories of a distant past holiday in Bavaria - from Fussen to Neusscchwannstein , Muinch and the Bavarian Alps... we did this one driving, biking and cycling.... I did this one with the Yorkshire Felines and the Welsh based Marianna (known to old Cumbrian forummers - I think - she's A Frenzied Feline on Papaumau's site sometimes :lol: I think she's converted him to a point too :lol: :lol: )

Surprised they did not mention Hohenschwangau - anotther castle almost adjacent and to my mind the nicer of the two in reality.

They then went to Bamberg - asnd followed the Romatic Road and went in raptures over the sheer volume of tasty CYCLE ROUTES! "Radweg"

And I note they found some tasteful lids and high viz in the local bike shops .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to admit.. there's more choice .. but then they take riding and driving much more seriously abroad than here on aggregate - or that's the impression I get. :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!