Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 00:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:46 
User

Bewildered wrote:
people leaning on there horns, shouting, swearing and threatening each another.

...but they do that in london anyway :wink: :D

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 20:46 
User

johnsher wrote:
Just thought I'd give you an idea of the sort of idiot mentality present in London. Riding in this morning I'm stopped at a pedestrian crossing when crazy woman rides past close and fast enough for me to feel the breeze. She's dressed in work clothes and not hanging around so given the 25C temps at the time I'm sure her work colleagues are going to be really happy if they have to sit anywhere near her... but I digress.
As I ride past her I say "you know, we normally stop at red lights".
At the next set of lights she pulls up and asks what I said.
"I said we normally stop at reds and you're acting like an idiot if you insist on running them."
"well what's it to you?"
"err, how about a large percentage of motorists wanting to kill ME because people like you insist on running reds?"
"don't be stupid, they don't mind if you don't get in their way." :shock:

and we ride off.

Next set of lights... (note at least she's now stopping at the reds)
"how can you complain that it's illegal to run reds when you just rode down the wrong side of the road - that's certainly not legal."
"have you heard of overtaking? Perhaps a quick read of the highway code might refresh your memory." If people actually believe this it might explain why nobody wants to overtake any more.

next set of lights... (again she stops!!! success???)
"You know, the only reason you complain about me running red lights is because you're miserable and boring... and pedantic. Yes, miserable, boring and pedantic.... and you need to get out more."

so that's the sum total of the red light runners 'for' argument.

Hopefully Ken will get some cops on the intersections to deal with this lot some time soon.

Oh dear - candidate for so-called "Darwinism" :roll:

Reminds me of a letter I saw in AutoExpress about tow months ago now. Have not got it to hand but am a bit shamed to say that someone from Darlington wrote that cyclists should not have to stop at red and should have a different set of rules to other road users "because they are vulnerable!" :shock: :?

Another reader from Oxford replied that this was the sort of attitude which does not endear cyclists to the world at large and that this attititude was reflected in the paltry sums ringmarked for cycling lanes, parking racks, and general training and emplyer facilities. The Oxford writer also suggested that should the Darlington cyclist have the misfortune to have an incident - he would not be very sympathetic if he learned of this. .

I do hope Ken will take action against all who menace the streets of London. Up here - we take action against any driver, biker or cyclist who compromises safety. We offer the same objective professional discretion and advice to all road users and I stress that Durham takes road safety issues very seriously - a fact reflected in an annually and consistently good safety record which. although we are proud to record a constant KSI low, we'd rather it be nil.. but since no one person can be perfect - I fear we wish for a moon made of cream cheese (as Wildy would say :lol: )

I can only ask all browsers, lurkers, users and members to read all posts about C O A S T, all postings made by my Cumbrian colleague Ian H, Paul's Advanced Driving Tips on the main site - especially the tailgating advice :wink: , and I recommend reading a new work written by Steve Haley; all writings made by Paul Ripley and Paul Amey. Paul Amey contributed to Road Craft. I would also recommend MotorCylcle Craft, and John Frankin's Cycle Craft to all raod users. :wink:

Other reads include the Highway Code, Konw Your Road Signs, Driving - Essential Skills - all DSA publications.

AA and RAC both publish works advising how to become a perfect driver as well - and these are also well worth a read.

In addition - I posted up on this site most of my notes from the Hendon course I undertook as a young trainee cop. This traiining was intense and I have never forgotten the cop who demanded excellence from me at the time. I still owe him a big debt of gratitude as his professionalism and demand for absolute commitment to imporve as a constant has always been in my subconscious - deeply and absolutely "bedded in"

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 20:56 
User

Bewildered wrote:
I have 23 sets of traffic lights on my commute (cycle) of which I stop at all 23 of them. It angers me to see cyclists jumping lights, but, the cars that jump them anger me even more!

Whenever I see a thread/discussion about RLJers, motorists are always taking the moral high ground. But I see very few of these people acknowledging the fact that a lot of cars also RLJ. I see it every day, I also see cars/lorries/vans drive down the one way road outside my work going the wrong way, using it as a shortcut. I was even told to "fukc off" when I pointed this out to a van that was driving towards me (Iwas going the correct way)

So......could I please have some recognition that cars/vans/lorries also fluant the same rules as cyclists. The "us an' them" mentality should be saved for the people who are in the wrong, and not for the mode of transport they choose.

Just to add, I have had on several occasions had motorists get irate with me for STOPPING at red lights.......what's that all about??

If we see any RLJ here - does not matter if two wheels or four wheels - around here - we have a chat about it. I stress our team will use discretion - but if a dangerous action - person on motorised vehicle receives fine and points and acid lectures . Cyclist receives a £30 fine and our acid lecture. :wink:

You see - around here - we enforce professionally and with a professionally objective judgement.

However, I will add that , in our area, we see education first and issue fines if we sincerely believe this is the correct course of action. Normally - for us - fines are the final option and we seek to help rather than punish - and this policy is applied to all motorists, bikers and cyclists equally around this area. :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 21:04 
User

Bewildered wrote:
I was thinking about this post on my cycle home last night. I came to crossroads, where 5 cars jumped the red by easily 3 or 4 seconds, enough time for the other lights to have turned green. All the motorist take off from the green light and next thing there's chaos, people leaning on there horns, shouting, swearing and threatening each another.

We'd be prosecuting anyone who jumped by 3 - seconds around here. That's a long time and a long distance can be travelled at 20-30 mph.
:oops:

Durham and North Yorks apply common sense - they do proseccute plain stupid.
:roll:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 22:28 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Perhaps a style similar to the no tax capaign for cars might get some response - go through a red - bike gets put in crusher - at least one candidate for the NHS longstay ward taken out of circulation.