Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 21:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 20:48 

In Gear wrote:
Jumping a red light for whatever pereceived reason or logic does not help - and I think we tend to remember awful cyclists just as we remember awful drivers.

Is a cyclist jumping a red really so bad. If the road is clear, where is the problem? A cyclist is in such a vulnerable state that I doubt they would cross unless the road was completely clear. An Indian friend of mine said that it is safer to cross at red as you are much more alert.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 22:14 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
Is a motorbike jumping a red really so bad. If the road is clear, where is the problem? A motorbike is in such a vulnerable state that I doubt they would cross unless the road was completely clear

Excuse the alterations, but if you accept that very small, very vulnerable vehicles can jump lights, where do you draw the line?

Surely it would be simpler if everyone obeyed red lights, rather than just motorised vehicles.

I used to cycle round London when I lived there, and the only reason I ever felt like jumping a red (though I don't recall ever succumbing) was laziness, i.e. not wanting to expend the extra effort accelerating away. I suspect this is the reason with a lot of other cyclists deep down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 08:39 
User

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Quote:
Is a smart car jumping a red really so bad. If the road is clear, where is the problem? A smart car is in such a vulnerable state that I doubt they would cross unless the road was completely clear

:wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:08 
Life Member
Life Member

Exactly - you end up with red lights only applying to artics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:48 

I don't get annoyed when I see a cyclist going safely through on red. I think this issue is just used as a stick to beat cyclists with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 19:58 
User

fergl100 wrote:
I don't get annoyed when I see a cyclist going safely through on red. I think this issue is just used as a stick to beat cyclists with.

I do not think you would think that if had ever treated the result of this. I have. when I did A&E many years ago.

It's the law and these same idiots go on about speed limits - yet when the law's applied equally to them - they WHINGE and WHINE more!
Usually compalining that as they are "vulnerable" the law does not apply to them - or that's basically what I read between the lines.

Sorry - but red mans STOP and Red and Amber also mean STOP.

Amber on it's own means you can go if at the point of no return and it's "safe-ish" and Green means GO but look out for numpties who ignore their red lights and all emergencies on a shout.

Plain common sense and if you are too lazy to stop or do not have the oomph to start up again - then you ain't a a REAL cyclist!

Tis the challenge of the set off!

Part of the fun is to see how hard I can do the accelerate on my bike from stop :wink:

Nope - no sympathy or comprehension of plain DAFT and LAW breaking especially when a good many of these people are "holier than thou" if a driver makes the slightest harmless error.

I ride a bike - I DO NOT - NEVER HAVE - CAN NEVER SEEMYSELF going through a red light either in my car or on bike - and certainly never ever DELIBERATELY!

On the rare occasion when lights have stuck .. in car - whacked on the hazards and crossed with absolute caution - and used Green Cross and become a a PEDESTRIAN to cross when on the bike.

To me - that simple. Traffic lights and crossroads are not the same as blipping over a speed limit on a camber or on a straight motorway. There's a definite collision danger.

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 20:24 
User

I think the proliferation of traffic lights (certainly around here) is having a detrimental effect on their use as a road safety feature. Nearly all roundabouts in Wolverhampton, Bilston and other small towns have permanent lights on them now, and any number of previously light - free junctions. I remember when all of these were considered safe without lights, and I would even contend that the roundabouts are more dangerous now than they were before the lights were installed, since now it's possible to mix traffic turning right (legally) in the middle lane with traffic going straight on (again, legally) in the right hand lane. I don't offer this as an excuse for my occasional careful running of red lights at half past silly in the morning - I don't feel the need to make any excuses - but I do wonder if this over use of lights has prompted a general decrease of respect for them among all road users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 22:41 

Absolutely Rythym Thief
Far too many lights where they are not required.
Often a junction where the lights are broken runs more freely. What is the point of having them if this is the case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:15 
User

Mad Moggie wrote:
On the rare occasion when lights have stuck .. in car - whacked on the hazards and crossed with absolute caution

Ah, so you broke the law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 17:57 
User

Mad Moggie wrote:
I ride a bike - I DO NOT - NEVER HAVE - CAN NEVER SEEMYSELF going through a red light either in my car or on bike - and certainly never ever DELIBERATELY!

Except for...

Mad Moggie wrote:
On the rare occasion when lights have stuck .. in car - whacked on the hazards and crossed with absolute caution

Just as I do on my bike then. Only without the hazards, obviously.

Mad Moggie wrote:
- and used Green Cross and become a a PEDESTRIAN to cross when on the bike.

Of course, that's still illegal. Just as much so as riding slowly through. My ex's mum once got told off and fined by the police for pushing her bike the wrong way down a one way street. Honest, it's true!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 21:42 
User

B cyclist wrote:
Mad Moggie wrote:

Ah, so you broke the law.

They were genuinely stuck on red for everyone! :roll: I did use hazards .. and was very cautious.

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 21:49 
User

Rhythm Thief wrote:
Mad Moggie wrote:

Except for...

Mad Moggie wrote:

Just as I do on my bike then. Only without the hazards, obviously.

But they were stuck for everyone :wink:

Quote:

Mad Moggie wrote:
- and used Green Cross and become a a PEDESTRIAN to cross when on the bike.

Of course, that's still illegal. Just as much so as riding slowly through. My ex's mum once got told off and fined by the police for pushing her bike the wrong way down a one way street. Honest, it's true!

Ah... like those spoil sports with the unicyclist in Macclesfield.. :roll:

I think I might have contested that one if wheeling along the pavement and obviously a pedestrian pushing something with wheels and not actually riding....

Blinkin' jobsworthy so and so.. Bet it was an inexperienced little oik too grrrrr!

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 22:34 
User

Are traffic lights still legal once they have broken down?

A temporary set in Staveley last year broke down every night half hour after the workmen had gone home.
Eventually a local pulled them out of the way, and traffic flowed once again.
Just as well, because Mrs Coggins from the Post Office was dehydrating after so long without a drink!! :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 22:59 
User

Hazards on, when moving (and not on a Motorway or unrestricted Duel Carriageway - signalling a hold-up ahead until the vehicles behind you are aware.) are illegal.

So yes, you broke the law!

(The Red traffic light is irrelevant)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 07:08 
User

B cyclist wrote:
Hazards on, when moving (and not on a Motorway or unrestricted Duel Carriageway - signalling a hold-up ahead until the vehicles behind you are aware.) are illegal.

So yes, you broke the law!

(The Red traffic light is irrelevant)

But unless you have a rotating orange beacon on your car, they are a worthwhile precaution, as one of the few means available to indicate to other traffic that something is out of the ordinary.
Luckily they dont rely on a camera to prosecute for it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 20:47 
User

Ern - could not have said better .. :drink: :drink2: :bighand:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 23:14 
User

I've never ever felt the need to put hazards on when crossing a junction with failed lights.

It gives such a skewed message to anyone that can only see half your car. I'm very surprised that anyone who is interested in road safety can think that it is a sensible thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 07:20 
User

B cyclist wrote:
I've never ever felt the need to put hazards on when crossing a junction with failed lights.

It gives such a skewed message to anyone that can only see half your car. I'm very surprised that anyone who is interested in road safety can think that it is a sensible thing to do.

It depend how busy ... of course Mad Doc could use his green lights - but he ist bound by rules on those und they are used only rarely - last time was when youngest was born und he had to get me to hospital "in the style to which I am accustomed." :wink: (Ist tongue in cheek ... where ist a tongue in cheek smiley?)

But if ist crossing which cross a fast straight und ist wide - then make sense to have some kind of warning lights .

If a tempo und you cannot see the other side of the road works - then ist like the hump back bridge - I tend to toot the horn to warn am there und lights stick. Ist not always possible to phone und let them know... you have to get out of car to get the number to phone to tell them.

If in towns these days - you could get car jacked - we keep reading of these from the towny local papers ...und even then - you cannot wait hours for some bloke to come und fix it or a policeman to come und direct traffic given he has to battle way through the resultant congestion.

Thus - you decide what ist safest under the condition you are in .. und sometimes you have to find way to warn people you are ahead there und a potential hazard to them. Ist polite - nicht?

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 07:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

B cyclist wrote:

it does seem rather odd thing to do. Can't say I've ever seen anyone do that or done so myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 08:23 
User

johnsher wrote:
B cyclist wrote:

it does seem rather odd thing to do. Can't say I've ever seen anyone do that or done so myself.

I have never had to perform the Heimlich manouvre on somebody that was choking, yet Iv've seen it happen (choking) lots of times - I hope I will know how when I need to!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next