Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 13:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 23:54 
User

This week .. GREEN TEA

OK . acquired taste :wink: But 3 cups per day and you keep your liver in shape, improve endurance and burn off that lard layer! (Not that I have a spare tyre around my middle :wink: )

But it's a nice refreshing cuppa and a bit of a change with a slice of lime or lemon.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 00:25 
User

Mmmm.. Dark Berry Fool .. per CW sounded jolly tasty! So... :lol;

(made it with blueberries/blackberries 'cos Alice got them reduced in supermarket the other day... little tip.. head for the "reduced for quick sale shelf.. it saves £££££s and some stuff can save lbs too :lol: Guess it will work with rapsberries and strawberries too )

400g blackcurrants/blackberries /blueberries

150 g Greek yogurt

150 g cream cheese (they say low-fat. Normal was on the reduced counter :lol:)

330g creme fraiche (Alice used Quark as this was going cheap :lol:)

14 g sachet gelatine

1 tbsp vanilla essence

Honey to taste sweeten

reserve fresh berrries, stem gingernuts and Greek yogurt to serve /garnish

OK .. chuck the berries into colander . rinse.. chuck into saucepan with two tablespoon water. Bring to boil and simmer for 8 mins or so till fruits are soft. Push through sieve (Alice just mashed it all up :lol:) and add the gelatine. Let this dissolve and just let it all cool down

Meanwhile in bowl - mix the yogurt/creme fraich and cream cheese together. Stir in the fruit/vanilla essence and honey to taste. We added "sirop de cassis" Divide into 4 glasses. chill for 4 hours in the fridge.

Serve with dollop of Greek yogurt/ crumbled gingernuts and fresh berries.

I have to say .. it was.. . rather :drink: :cloud9:

(I think they cotttoned on at CW that all very well to say this stuff's good for you.. but you have to be able to cook it. I actually enjoy playing in the kitchen. :lol:) It does keep in the fridge for a few days too.

All recipes can be adjusted to situations too :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 21:28 
User

This week - CW tells me to at curries - on the basis it stops "cogmnitive decline!" :? :shock: :? , reduces inflammation and helps me heal

Claire.. it works in ONE pan and will keep for more than one meal for you too without fridge. just blending falvours in pan. :wink:

OK.. so we need a recipe :lol:

So.. . brief trek to reduced counters as local supermarket .. we got some lean braising beef half priced. :lol:

DO >.. DO DO>> go for the reduced for quick sale counters. It saves your cash. You get a warm feeling too.. at not being fleeced quite so much as normal :lol:

So my wife managed to get some lean cubed beef. She fried this in olive oil. thinly sliced an onion.. chopped some green chillies (bought for the princelly sum of 10p at Tesco on this occasion :lol: (DO look at the bloke with a trolley and some gadget :lol: Alice has trained me well here :lol:

root ginger /.. one little stem costs a couple of pennies and you do not need much.

two glove crushed garlic

3 tablespp#onn dessicated coconut

Curry powder to YOU OWN TASTE

tablespoon tomato pureee.

natural yogurt to serve.. and any other preferences to serve.. I like chopped fresh tomatoe .. poppadums .. chutney..

So brown the meat.

Place in saucepan

Brown the other ingredients in pan.. pour boiling water over counut in sep bowl. steep it,,,

Stir in curry powder to the veg/ Add the coconut brew

Add the puree . bring all this to boil

Pur over the meat

Let it all simmer away

Till meat so tender

Serve with drizzled yogurt.. on rice or bed of tatoe or veg or whatever :lol:

Do try in two pans. it works .. JUST. I think Claire can adapt :lol: to her needs :wink:

Rest of you and any lurks! :wink:. ENJOY!

I am trying to keep all healhy.. enthused to cook .. and I know most cycling lurks out there do appreciate my cookery blog rreally :lol:

Do use the ideas. They are tasty and I like to think I help keep folk safe as well as healthy -ish :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 09:44 
User

This week they suggest Flax seed oil (in supermarkets/health shops) as alternative source of omega 3 if you don't like oily fish

You can take spponful or capful - but CW suggests adding to salad dressing and dizlling over lettuce leaves/rocket and so on

You do not cook with it :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 09:55 
User

OK - mushroom soup. Apparently rich in silenium.. potassium and lentinan - a mix which reduces blood pressure.. boosts the immune system etc

You need 15 g dried porcinin mushrooms
1 litre veg stock (cheat with Oxo etc)
chopped red onion
chopped carrot
chopped leek
chopped stick of celery
2 cl;oves crushed garlic
100 g shitake mushorroms
500 g chestnut mushrooms
1 tablesppon flour
dried thyme
tablespoon mushorrom soy sauce
olive oil

Soak the dried mushoroms in hot stock jug until ready to use.

Heat olive oil in sauce saute the red onion first - then add the carrot, leek, celery and sweat for 15 mins or so .. driszzing in a little water to stop any sticking.

Stir in the mushrooms (save 4 to garnish :wink:) Stir in the flour - then add the stock and porcini mushrooms. Stir well - let simmer for half hour or so - seasom to tastes with black pepper Blend the soup with handy blender. Slice the remaining mushrooms and add Cook for another 5 mins

Serve with crusty warmed bread

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:01 
User

This week per all the Cycling rags .. the magic mineral is :listenup: CALCIUM

You need this for your bones and per the article - it seems we renew our bone structure in terms of calcum every 7 years - because of the way our bodies take out and re-deposit this mineral into our skeletons.

Calcium helps the muscles and nerve system to function properly and also helps prevent our blood from clotting.

Sources of this stuff.. well cheese is no "junk" food as all cheeses contain this. .. along with steamed tofu (see one of the recipes on the thread so far :lol:) almonds,, figs,, steamed curly Kale.. yogurt . milk... tinned sardines. (love these on toast :lol: :cloud9:)

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post subject: Re: Wonder Foods =CW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:39 
User

This week .. GREEN TEA.

Apparently per CW - recent research claims that Green Tea enhances the bacteria zapping activity of antibiotics and can assist even MRSA lurgies. (Mad Doc will probably know much more about that claim :wink:)

But basically CW claims The Society of Micro-Biology praise th anitoxidant protection qualities as well as its aid to better matabolism.

I quite like it with eithr a slice of lemon or lime :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:53 
User

Oh Yum .. CW gives us a recipe for a Mango/Kiwi Pavlova. It does tell us how to make a chewy meringue base .. but my wife does suggest Claire cheats by buying ready made meringue nests :lol:

For those who want to know how to make a meringue base - it's easy peasy.

3 large egg whites 180 g castor sugar 1 teaspoon cornflour .. one teaspoon vanilla essence. (If you want coconut macaroons . just add dessicated coconut :wink:)

Anyway - line an oblong tin with greaseproof paper

In bowl whisk the egg whites till stiff and standy up in peaks resembling th Alps. :lol: Add the castor sugar - one third at a time .. beat well on each introduction of th sugar until the mix is really glossys and stiff Sieve in the cornflour and fold in with th vanilla.

Spoon to baking sheet and spread. Make a hollow for the filling Put into oven (NOT preheated - else the meringue will brown. (You would preheat if making macaroons! :wink:)

Cook for 60-90- minutes - the meringue should be dry but not too firm if you like a chewy centre :wink: Leave to cool.

For the filling.. creme fraiche.. (150 g) .. 200 g low fat Greek yogurt - couple teaspoons lemon curd .. 6 kiwis .. (peeled and cut into wedges) 1 mango (cut into slivers) a star fruit to garnish

Mix the creme fraiche .. yogurt and lemon curd together. Spoon inot th meringue and then arrange the fruit inside.

You can of course use any fruit and modify to whatever in season or particulare tastes. I think Wildy did one with fruits of the forest and Krissi with a selection of apples and very sweet green and balck seedless grapes :lol:

Enjoy! I did :lol: :bighand: :drink2:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 23:04 
User

This week in CW - we are urged to eat our greens to "lose weight " :wink;

Per Uni of Sao Paulo - Brazil - it seems we lose 300 g of lard for every 100g increase of fruit and veg each day :shock: :popcorn:

But I know some rather large vegetarian types :popcorn: Oh.. too much pasta :popcorn:

Anyway, I actually like leeks, corn, peas, carrots, butter nut squash . rocket .. sadaly leafy stuff, tomatoes, and all fruits ..

I guess that's why I am tall, sturdy and muscular :lol; :popcorn:

Glad I listened to my Mum now :lol: :bow: :bighand:

She would make you eat the greens - like or lump it

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 23:13 
User

Right .. now having eaten the "boring" green stuff a smooth reward in the shape of a pmegrantie/berry/whey smoothie. Now I did mention that CW classed "whey " as a Wonder food and now they've come up with something which sounds YUMMY and I will be trying it out :lol:

basically a smoothy which you make like all the other smoothies I've given family recipes for :lol:

For this you need some frozen summer berries (300g) - I'll try fresh at reduced price though :lol; .. pomegranate juice (but I think we can substitute red grape juice or strawberry/raspberry or cranberry juices :wink: as "cheaper" :wink: and 40 g whey protein powder (from health shop) :wink:

OK . defrost the fruit or prepare thefresh fruit - put in blender with the juice and whey protein. Blend till smooth and serve.. :wink:

Enjoy.. :bounce1: :bighand:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:21 
User

OK this month's C+ tells me to forsake a pork pie and a doughnut when I call in at .. the petrol station shop :? :shock: :? and buy a scotch egg instead.and a pack of fig rolls. (figs are good for you - jigh in fibre - but they do advise to save till after the ride because they require a few more "pit stops" :lol:)

But I do make my own scoth eggs - simple.

All you need are 4 hard boiled eggs, flour to coat, 1lb good quality sausage meat (and we vary with pork/dried herbs etc to give a bit more punch) . one beaten egg, one cup breadcrumbs (about 4 oz) and vegetable oil for frying.

You toss the eggs in the flour - wrap the sausage meat arount them - dip in the beaten egg and toss in the breadcrumbs. Let them chill in the fridge for an hour or so to "set the crumbs"

Then fry the eggs.. leave to cool.. Enjoy with a salad wih yogurt or a banana or fig rolls for pud!

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:26 

In Gear wrote:
Then fry the eggs.. leave to cool..

Do you shallow or deep fry them?

Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:10 
User

Rigpig wrote:
In Gear wrote:
Then fry the eggs.. leave to cool..

Do you shallow or deep fry them?

I put about 1 and half inches of oil in the wok and heat to about 350 degrees. Deep fry them for about 5 minutes - but make sure you don't get them too brown. Drain well and let them cool.

It's a cheap and easy meal to make.

:bighand:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:43 
User

This week - it's aubergines - with an aubergine bake.

20 minutes to prepare .. but 1 hour 20 minutes overall cooking time :popcorn:

You need olive oil .. 2 tablespoons flour .. 2 aubergines (sliced) chopped red pepper . chopped red onion . chopped courgette .. 2 stick chopped celerly - 3-4 clove chopped garlic.. 2 cans tomatoes .. pinch cayenne.. handful of fresh mixed herbs. ..grated cheddar....

serve with rice ortoasted pitta and natural yogurt.

preheat grill .. brush pan with olive oil. Dip the aubergines in the flour.

Place these on the pan and grill them

Heat a dash of oil in saucepan and sweat the onions till soft. Stir in the courgette/pepper/celery to soften slightly.

Add the tomatoes and herbs.

Cook for half hour

ladle this into dish and add the auibergines in layers with one layer of aubergine on top. Sprinkle with grated cheese.

Bung in oven till golden brown - about 15- 20 minutes

Alternatvely..

2 sliced aubergines.. red wine vinegar (4 tablespoons) , 2 crushed garlic cloves.. 1 tablespoon lemon juice.. one teaspoon cumin..teaspoon ground coriander .. half a cucumber.. 7 ripe tomatoes.. flat leaf parley to garnish...

Preheat grill and cook the aubergines till gold and tender in a little olive oil. Cut the slices in quarters

Mix the olive oil.. vinegar .. lemon juice.. cumin and coriander thouroughly. Add the aubergines to this and chill in fridge. (You can serve warm as well :wink:)

Quarter the tomatoes. Slice the cucumber finely. Add to the aubergine mixture.

Spoon oveer plain yogurt and sprinkle the fresh parsley over it (chopped :wink:)

Serve on warm pitta bread.. Mmmmmmm! :drink2:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:17 
User

Another - 5 mins to prepare and 20 mins to cook.

OK 200 g whole wheat fusili or whatever pasta :wink:

Olive oil

150 g fresh peas or frozen petits pois

crushed clove garlic

lemon juice

100g feta cheese (cubed)

4 tablespoons creme fraiche

3 tablespoons shredded mint leaves

150 g asparagus spears

OK - cook the pasta in boiling water with a drop of olive oil

Just before it's cooked - add the peas.

Steam the aspagus for 5-7 minutes (I use a steamer over the saucepan in use. - It's a "green" way (Actually - it's my own Mum's way :lol:)

Drain and rinse the pasta in boiling water. Chop the asparagus - and add to the pasta.

Stir in the crushed garlic, the lemon juice (about a couple of teaspoons or so.. ) the creme fraiche and mint leaves (leave a couple to garnish :lol:) Season with black pepper and a little more lemon juice

Serve.. :bighand:

You can use beans - haricots and broad beans to vary this one too :lol: I think my Alice did it with corn niblets, salmon leftovers and some other chopped herbs ..(flat leaf parsley) in the past too.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 19:32 
User

last week .. magnesium. and this week Vit C

:cloud9:

OK .. Spinach and orange salad : oohhhhh :yesyes:

You need baby spinach leaves.. 2 oranges . a red onion .. dress with squeezed orange juice.. olive oil .. clear runny honey.. wholgrain mustard.. seasoning.. to own tastes :wink:

Ok .. wash the spinach leaves... dry on kitchen roll/ (or uses a salad spinner :lol:)

Remove orange peels and slice off top/bottom slices .. THINLY.

Slice the segments../ HOLD the juices :lol:

You need the juice for the sauce :wink:

Chop the red onion.

Mix it the spinach and the orance.. srinkle the chopped red onion over it all.

Mix .. olive oil ./. oranvge juices.. honey.. mustard and seasonings..

Pour over before serving.. .. OHhh! YUM!

Oh time .. 10 minutes from start to finish. I make it often whilst Alice (my wife) maketh the main course :lol:

Me and Alice keep it fairly simple but fun.. The Swiss are a bit "continental" :lol: :wink: I think me and Alice are staple .. but stoic BRITS :wink:

I need to hid in :bunker: from a wild :neko: :lol;

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 20:38 
User

Let's hear it for purple grape jelly with honeyed Greek yogurt. (You can cheat with ready made jelly cubes from the supermarket .. blackcurrant... but mix with the purple grape juice)

If making with the juice.. you need 6 leaves of gelatine.. 400 ml purple grape juice,.. vanilla essence.. creme fraiche and honey.

Soak the gelatine in cold water. Gently heat a third of the juice Drain th gelatine and squeeze out the excess moisture. Add to the warmed juice.. stir till it dissolves.. Remove from heat .. add the rest of the juice and the vanilla drops

Pour into ramekins.. put in fridge till it sets.

Sprinkle some chopped nuts and dema#erara sugar on a bking dish and gently roast.. mix with the creme fraich and honey. Pour on top of the jelly .. serve.. enjoy :D :D

Anti-oxifdants.. calcium.. and Vit C in a rather yummy style. :bighand:

Well done CW ... YUMMMMMM!

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

You mentioned green tea a while ago In Gear :)

In the Far East, breast cancer, (or cancers in general), are almost unheard of and few would argue their diet isn't very good for health.

I am eating more Sushi dishes of late. The one I have just had comprises:

Cooked rice, smoked salmon, tuna, pickled ginger, red pepper, cucumber, lettuce, soy sauce, seaweed, sesame seed and a few tasty extras like wasabi (hot) :)

My friend's wife has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and she has been a vegetarian her entire adult life. She has always liked her milk though :?: My dear friend at work had a mastectomy three years ago too :(

So we have to question what is it in our diet which is causing or exacerbating this cancer and for myself I think the Chinese diet, (and maybe lifestyle), goes a long way to an answer.

I'm not saying milk isn't good but there again nature did intend it to be for babies so perhaps there is a better way to get your calcium? Also, when it comes to strengthening those bones - load bearing exercise :thumbsup:

Cheers IG. Always a pleasure to read this column :)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:15 
User

OK .. this week's CW bemoans the fact that the restaurants around the Alpe d'Huez served up cheese fondu whilst some other restaurant fed them lamb stew and "no a vegetable in sight" :roll: It then tries to tell me my glass of wine with dinner.. my choice of pud instead of an apple.. and my full English will have made me a pound of so fatter. Err.. nothing tight around my waistline :wink:

But last week... they were full of cheese as an energy booster for them big hills!

:cloud9: I like cheese. OK Everyday Rarebit..

6 oz cheddar. (grated)... 1 teaspoon English mustard ..2 tablesppons of apple juice two slices of toast

Put it all (except the toast :wink:) in a pan and heat.. and blend. Spoon onto the toast and eat immediately .. Yum

Or.. subsitute th apple juice for cider.. slice and apple .. place this on the toast slices and then spoon the cheesey/cider mix over and serve.... Ohhhhhhh! Bum.. I'm now hungry again!

Welsh Rarebit?

1 tablespoon butter... 1 tablespoon of flour.. 4 oz Cheddar (grated of course :wink:) pinch of salt.. pinch of cayenne .. three quarter teaspoon English mustard.. 2 tablespoons of beer :drink: few drops of Lea & Perrins..

Blend all the ingreidents in a pan. Preheat the grill. Toast the bread on both sides .. spred this mix over and then grill until golden and bubbling and ... ahhhhhh!

A Buck Rarebit.. poach an egg and serve on top of the Welsh version..

Wildy :neko:

once served this one to me and it is rather good. :cloud9: Me and Alice cannot get it quite like her version though :lol: I think a trace of Apfelschnaps in her mix when she's used apple slices :lol:

4 sliices wholemeal bread.. butter.. 2 tablespoons tomato puree .. 4 slices of ham.. drained pineapple slices 4 slices of Swiss Emmental or Gruyere cheese and a tomato for garnish ..

Toast the bread on one side. Butter the untoasted side.. spread on the tomato puree.. layer on the ham and pineapple slices (she has used apple a few times too) and top with the cheese. Place slices of tomato over all this// sprinkle with dried basil.. Place under grill until cheese bubbly .. mmmm.

Krissi does a similar thing.. but tucked into croissants ...

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:22 
User

OK .. the cycling pages are full of Chinese dishes :lol:

How about a Chinese Hot Salad :cloud9:

Claire did ask me about what to do with courgettes :lol:

OK - this can be eaten hot or cold.

You need
tablespoon dark soy sauce
2 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce (get that bottle in the supermarket :lol:)
2 tablespoons of sherry (any will do .. but Alice uses a medium one)
14 oz ban sprouts
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 crushed garlic clove
4 spring onions . sliced thinly ,, diagnoanl cuts
9 oz carrots - sliced with a julienne cutter
9 0z courgettes - cut into strips about an inch long..
1 red or green pepper .. seeded and thinly sliced

4 oz French green beans (haricots verts :lol:)
tblesppon sesame oil

salt/pepper to taste
sesame seeds to garnish :lol:

Ok .. mix the soy sauce// sherry.. chilli sauce. sugar .. vinegar and seasoning/

Heat the sunflower oil in the wok (frypan) .. swirl till really hot.

Add the garlic and spring onions.. stir-fry for a couple of minutes..
Add the courgettes and the peppers and the carrots - stir fry for a couple of minutes

add the soy sauce mix and bring to boil

Add the bean sprouts. the French beans and stir-fry ,.. making sure they are coated with the sauce.

Drizzle sesame oil over and cook for another half minute

Serve.. garnish .. enjoy :cloud9: :drink2:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next