Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 09:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wonder Foods =CW
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:36 
User

This week .. the PUMPKIN.

Low calory.. high in Vits E anc C... alpha- carotene .. beta carotene .. high in potassium... magnesium.. pantothenic acid high fibre..

Native Red Indians claimed it was

:listenup:

Heap Big Medicine :bighand:

Its nutrient goodies place in the list of SUPERFOODS as it does help the body fight off disease.

OK .. what can you do with it?

OK.. extra virgin oil.. one medium butterbut squash - cut lengthways.. and de-seeded and destrung.. .. tablespoon butter... 2 tablespoons dark honey.. black pepper.

Preheat oven. Grease baking tray wiht th olive oil. Bake the butternut squash till caramelised for 50 minutes or until a skewer sinks through the middle.

Melt the butter with the honey and pepper. Brush the butternut with the mix .. and bake for another 5 minutes. Cut into pieces.. serve with turky .. chicken.. roast pork or ham.

Or try this one

half cup sugar

teaspoon cinammon
half teaspoon salt
quarter teaspoon ground ginger and ground cloves

2 large eggs

one 15 oz tin of Libby's pure pumpkin

one 12 oz tin evaporated milk

Mix the sugar and spices in a bowl

Beat the eggs in a large bowl Stir in the tinned pumpkin and the sugar-spice mix. Gradually stir in the evaporated mik.

Pour inot a shallow dish - bake in preheated oven (350 degrees) for 40 minutes.

Centre has to be wiggly. Cool to room temperature and enjoy :bighand: Will keep in fridge - it's quite nice chilled with cream too. :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:40 
User

CW now tells us of some research from Yale Uni's School of Medicine.

The Overall Nutritional Quality Index - known commercially as the NuVal system gives a persect 100% to broccoli .. blueberries// green beans and okra.

Meats score low and with a can of peaches being of higher nutritional value than lean chicken breast :? :?

Fish? Salmon scores higher than lobster (use monkfish - similar meaty texture .. scores higher per the list on

www.nuval.com

But okra.. :scratchchin:

OK .. get

10 oz monkfish (cut it into cubes)

9 oz okra

2 tbsp olive oil

1 sliced onion

1 crushed garlic clove

one small sliced ginger root

quarter pint fish stokc OR coconut milk

2 tbsp Masala

MARINADE

3 tbsp lemon juice
grated lemon rind
quarter teaspoon aniseed
slat/black pepper to tastes

Garnish .. lemon wedges/coriander

OK .. make the marinade first. Bung everything into a bowl.. mix it well .. then put the monkfish in to marinate for an hour or so.

brink a saucepan of water to boil. Cook the okra for 5 minutes.

Drain.. slice the okra to half inch slices

Heat the oil in a wok. Add the onion and fry till golden brown. Add the ginger and garlic .. fry for a minute. Add the fish with the marinade and stir fry for 2-3 minutes or so.

Stir in the okra.. the coconut milk or the fish stokc (whichever preferred :wink:) Let it all simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve with the lemon or lime wedges and coriander. And garlic bread

:cloud 9:

ENJOY :bighand:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:52 
User

Hailed as the wonder food of the week in all the tabloids.. the PLUM.

I like plums...especially when my wife puts them (pitted/stoned) in the centre of a doughnut :yum:

Another foreign version is to wrap the plum in a potoato cake dough and deep fry in the same way as a doughnut... in olive or vegetable oil and well drained.

But I have another recipe which most of us mere men can handle - 20 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to bake in the oven.

You need

5 oz butter (plus some to grease the baking tin :wink:)

10 oz self-raising flour (plus some to roll out/dust)

2 oz caster sugar

grated zest of an orange (and its juice - so after you grate the peel - stick the orange in a jug and hit that turbo-charged blender. (I liken my hand held blender to me Black n decker drills - it has various speeds :lol:)

about quarter pint milk

About 1lb or more plums - cut into quarters with stones removed (obviously :roll:)

2 oz muscovado sugar

teaspoon cinammon

icing sugar to dust..

cream or craime fraiche to serve.

OK.. preheat the oven to 200 C /400 F or Gas mark 6. Lightly grease a 9.13 incch swiss roll tin or similar.

1. Cut the butter (4 0z)into pieces . place in bowl. Sift the flour into the bowl and rub the butter into the flou until in#t looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the caster sugar and the orange zest.

Pour in most of the milk and mix with a flaat knife to form a dough.

2. Form into a ball with your hands. Caress it gently. :wink:

Roll out on a floured surfaceto roughly the same shape as the tin. Gently place the dough in the tin

3. Scatter the plums on top and dot the remaining butter over it all. Mix the muscovado sugar and the cinammom - sprinkle over the plums. Pour the orange juice over the top.

4. bake for 20 mins till golden brown and bubbly jiucy plums

5. remove for oven. Dust with icing sugar. Cut into squares (about 12).

6. Serve with cream

Enjoy! :bighand: :drink2:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 21:42 
User

OK CW tell me al dente pasta because of GI carbs. I am also told eggs are good now.

OK leftovers/

olive oil// chopped onion.. fenel; bulb -chopped . garlic clove - chopped

diced left over spuds and pasta (any)

4 eggs/. chopped herbs.. .. chiili pepper . left over pasta tomatoe salad or can to serve :lol:

Stir fry fennel . spuds in olive oil add the garlic.. stir .. remove from pan.

Beat egg till frothy . add chopped herbs and chiili powder or other seasoning as preferred. :wink:

add half e0gg mix to pan add the veg and the pasta Then add rest of the egg mix .. cook till sides set

Lift to allow the runny egg to spread a bit. Cook till all seems goldy brown

Slide out to plate.. flip over and cook till other side looks goldy brown

Slide onto serve dish//garnish to taste,, serve with salad or tomato salad.

MMMMM!

leftovers .. yum.

Enjoy :bighand:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:54 
User

OK grab that tub of leftover popcorn :popcorn: from "Friday night at the movies".

Raid the dried hrbs/seasonal powders shelf in the larder for curry powder (one teaspoon) - likewise the ground paprika .. ginger .. marjoram. Grab the bottle of olive oil.

pit the spices in a large bowl and pour on r3 tablespoons of olive oil.

Stir this and mix and blend it well.

Add the popcorn (you need about 8oz or so)

Mix it all well.

Then lounge in front of the telly .

Enjoy! :bighand:

Or what if you had the tortilal chips instead (and the folk behind me did .. and it was a crunchier performance than the "love scene" :roll:)

Anyway .. take the leftovers home. (you need about 10 oz of these chips so I would suggest - eat the porcorn or buy an ice cream tub as not so noisy :popcorn:)

Grab the jar of salsa which wife (mine) bought at supermarket and forgot about... an ounce of chillies.. 4 oz grated cheese and bunch of chives (ither from garden or bought from supermarket - from reduced counter if poss)

Place the chips in a baking tray or shallow baking dish. Distribute the salsa ovr them, Slice the chillis and sprinkle evenly over the chips.

Sprinkle the grated cheese (I find cheddar or gouda work well)

Bake o#r grill til the cheese melts

Sprinkle the chopped chives over the top.. Serve and eat in front of the telly :bighand:

You can also use up leg#ft over bolognese sauce.. chillli con carne or avocado - and CW tells me avocado is a cyclist's super food and that cyclists on the Tour de France are encouraged by their teams to eat an avocado every two days.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 21:52 
User

As said .. CW recomended avocado/

OK so this soup is a summer BBQ delight.

20 mins in kitchen.

2 ripe avodado

lime juice (cheat . buy it! :lol:
chopped onion
crushed garlic clove
pack of coriander - chop it

ditto mint (If you grow it - grab a fistful :wink:)

Soak some veg stock cubes in 2 pints water

rice vinegar/soy sauce

salt/peper to taste

ganish with cream and herb leaves if wanted :lol:

OK ,, halve avocados. Scoop out the flesh. Place in blender with the onions .. garlic . herhs and some stock. Blend til smooth

Add the rest of the stock and the vinegar and soy sauce season with slat/peerp amd more lime juice to your own tastes/

Ladle into bowls .. add any garnish and serve .

Twenty mins enjoy :bighand:

Or how about slicung the acocados lengthways .. plaincing on plate in flan . Sprikle lime juice over them season to taste.

Then mix one chopped red onion with 8 cherry tomatoes
(chopped too)

With one red chilli in the mix..

Sprinkle over the avocado flan slices Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with toasted tortiila

And remember . super food for cycllists :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 08:22 
User

Ok .. so I usually play "internet" in morning. :lol: over coffee und BRIOCHES...

Which I bake myself und they are easy so all the mere males on here can do it. I dare say that even my critics may even find it fun - they can pretend they are thumping me when they do the kneading bit too :hehe:

Anyway for Brioches the quicky working Mama way (My Mama's recipe :wink: My version ist a bit richer und take a bit longer on the standing preparation bit)

10 oz flour (strong white bread variety)
7g pack easy blend dried yeast
3 medium eggs
2 0z caster sugar
2 fl oz warm milk
4 oz butter

pinch salt.

12 choc blocks - or choccy paste or fave jam

I give recipe for batch of 12. I normally make a lot more as there a lot of folk in this household. I do actually do some work here. :wink:

Sift the flour/salt in bowl Add the sugar/yeast. Stir well. I let it stand for 5 minutes whilst I read the internet thread :lol:

Make well in middle. Pour in the milk/beaten eggs. Mix well to a dough .. elastic to feel.

Put onto floured board und knead it for five minutes. (Let it stand. Read the "wind up merchant on the internet" ... then .. go back to the dough und give it a good thumping. :lol: or a gentle kneading dependent on what you just read .. ::hehe:

Smear some butter on the dough. Knead it in, Coontinue doing this until yoou use up all the butter. Your dough should look a bit shiny und have little bubbles showing on it. It lovely fun messy stuff. Your kids should just LOVE helping out on this one. :wink: Dough should feel greasy elastic.

Cover with a towel (or wrap over with cling flim if making the night before as I usually do :wink:

Then in the morning when you get up - after first cup of coffee or tea or water with a lemon slice whatever your first tipple - knead your dough again fairly gentle briskish. (I usually pretend it the Mad Doc at this point... :wink:)

Break your dough into 12 portions. Shape to form circles. Flatten them a little. Place your chosen filling in the centre. Gently wrap the dough over this. Seal it with a little egg. Place on baking tray or in bun tin - joint size downwards.

Bake in oven till golden brown for about 15-20 minutes on 200C/400F/Gas 6.

Let it cool on cake wire. Be careful as the choc/jam will be very - very hot und that need to cool.

Enjoy. :bighand: It makes a rather nice/relaxing breakfast. You find you can slot it around typing on here or on there.. :hehe:

Cooking give me great pleasure. I finding it rather therapeutic at the moment. :wink:

I will put up my other recipe later. Got to wave off the children und Mad Doc on the school run which I normally do und get back to some routine housework und stuff which include just resting und some gentle exercise too.. (I got to get my figure back into shape here after the "twin ordeal." :wink:)

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:48 
User

Brioches eh? Yum.

Well Easter may have been and gone .. but CW this week tells me that my gorging on Creme Eggs did not do me any harm. Only 170 calories per egg :lol: I burn off each one at just 14 mins of riding at 15 mph :lol: (Bum.. I will have to ride some MILES all the same. :lol:)

How many did you eat in 5 minutes though. CW tells me the record is 19 eggs - held by a \mr Rick Barker :bow: 200 million eggs are sold each year and they've been around since 1971, I know. I've been eating them since then :lol: (I wa a lad at school when they came out.. :hehe:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:05 
User

Meanwhile C+ tells me to take Ginseng tablets as they contain B1 /B2 /B6 and B12 and folic acid. I suggest Wildy tries these given the situation she's in :wink:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 14:44 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

In Gear wrote:
Meanwhile C+ tells me to take Ginseng tablets as they contain B1 /B2 /B6 and B12 and folic acid. I suggest Wildy tries these given the situation she's in :wink:

It's funny you say that, I've just started taking them myself. They're not cheap here but I was told to try them. You can buy quite a lot of herbal stuff here, and "real" fresh fruit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 22:48 
User

Dixie wrote:
In Gear wrote:

It's funny you say that, I've just started taking them myself. They're not cheap here but I was told to try them. You can buy quite a lot of herbal stuff here, and "real" fresh fruit.

It's been around a while. My Mum first bought them for me when I was in my final year of study. She thought I "looked tired" :lol: As I recall . they have never been "cheap" .. but seem to work. :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 23:00 
User

Couple of issues back.. we were back to oily fish and spices.

OK .. so I visited the old Chinese supermarket .. and bought "five spice powder" which seems to be a mix of star anise. cinnamon. cloves.. fennel and szechuan peppercorns.

OK . you need 2 teaspoons of this stuff.

4 salmon steaks

one leek..
one large carrot
.. 4 oz mangetout.
small piece of shredded root ginger (cheat . it comes in a jar on Tesco's spice counter :lol:) .
. 2 tablespoons of Stones Ginger Wine ..
2 tablespoons light soy sauce..
1 tablespoon olive or veg oil..

Garnish with shredded leek.. junipered carrots . shredded ginger strands.

OK .. rub the powder into both sides of the fish.,

2. shred the veg into a large bowl. Add the ginger and the ginger wine and i tablespoon soy sauce,

3. Heat the grill to medium. Smear the rest of the soy sauce on the fish, Grill the fish

Should take 2- 3 mins for each side :wink:

4. Whilst your fish is cooking.. heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan. Stir fry the veg for 5 minutes. Do not overcook. This is best "al dente" :wink:

5. Put on serving plates. Place the salmon on top. Garnish. Mmmmmm! :bighand:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 02:26 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I've got Jamie Oliver’s Naked Chef 2 recipe book (in Office Word) if anyone wants it. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 22:36 
User

Dixie wrote:
I've got Jamie Oliver’s Naked Chef 2 recipe book (in Office Word) if anyone wants it. :)

He reads my recipes on here. :lol: They seem to turn up AFTER I posted 'em up! I should have been a chef. I am thinking of opening a restaurant when I eventually retire :lol:

This week's CW tells me to drink expresso coffee (made by coffee machine) and eat porridge and banana for breakfast. To eat salads,, and be sure to take some multivits and fish oil as this will prevent "farting" :shock: when riding :shock:

Yep.. .. it does say that on page 31 :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 04:12 
Site Admin

Coffee seems to be one of those things that is good one day and bad another !
Paul always said that he could get up (or down) the Country on expresso, and occasionally did so !
I tried it with a fair bit of sugar and it does work! :)

I saw some TV that was showing grow your own medicine cabinet - that sounds like fun and sensible.
I hope to restart my veggie patch ... our tomatoes in 07 never got eaten as we were away so much, however 3 tiny tomatoes made it !

I too take various vitamins and buy from online, Boots/Superdrug or Tesco it is bizarre how variable the prices and doses are.

I hope to grow fruit trees and berry bushes too in time - love strawberries especially - used to have some plants but the landlord destroyed them ! (few yrs back)

I wonder what foods people do like to eat on car picnics or help keep them awake.

I heard years ago about a small blue pea sized berry from Scotland that was meant to give you amazing energy, but have failed to find it ! - any ideas anyone ?

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 19:07 
User

http://news.scotsman.com/cancerresearch ... 2769253.jp

Acai - apparently makes great ice cream.. :bighand:

I grow strawberries, rapsberries and gooseberries . along with mint... parsley.. thyme in little tubs on the patio in my garden here.

Have a two apple trees . one Cox and one Bramley. Do grow the odd cauliflower/lettuce/cabbage .. and I find it quite cathartic to potter around the garden

Food's rather a passion. I really do enjoy cooking! :cloud9: The Mad Doc can also cook .. but I think I beat him to a pulp on my simple but fun ideas. :lol:

(The Mad Cats have a whole flowerbed full of stuff .. along with old tyres used for growing spuds .) I envy them that damson tree .. and their wild strawberry/blackberry patch.

They also grow peas.. and I have never managed to do this successfully :banghead: )

Nothing wrong with vitamin supplements or Sanatogen Tonic or even the Tonic Wine! :lol:

I take one Ginseng and one Centrum tablet per day.

June's issue of C PLus tells me to consider coconut oil .. pumpkin seeds .. eggs . soya beans.. walnuts for Omega 3... eggs

For DHA and EHA . to think of salmon.. trout . mackerel.. herring .. anchovies.. kippers.. tuna..

for Omega 6 . sesame .. sunflower corn. nuts

for GLA .. evening primrose oil . and blackcurrant seed oil.

Most interestinly . C+ June tell me that MILK SHAKES aid recovery... so I plan to do some whipped up smoothies with the fruit from my garden :lol:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 19:33 
User

OK this one for Wildy who needs B12/iron and stuff. OK so I teach the "toppest know it all on the planet to suck an egg here" :bunker: :bunker: :bunker:

OK . you need a handful of flat leaf parsley

organic streaky bacon (which I know they buy from a farm shop equidistant between us :lol: as I am just up the A66 from them .. over the county border . about 40 mins drive :lol:) You can have smoked or unsmoked. I know the Wild one prefers "smoked"

You need about 5 rashers

clove garlic

250 g lambs liver (tender.. wholesome.. pure tender meat full of B12/iron etc)

2 tablespoonns plain flour and olive oil

bay leaves (2)

sea salt/pepper

OK .. warm the serving plate on low oven.

Chop the parsley finely. (I cheat with sharp kitchen scissors and then use the chopper)

2. trim the rind from the bacon. Cut each rasher widthways and lengthways to make thin strips chop the garlic finely#

3. cut the liver into strips Coat in the flour .. you can add salt and pepper to tastes here :wink: Coat well

4. Pour the olive oil into frying pan. Heat to medium. Add the bacon and bay leaves Fry till brown /crispy. Put on serving plate.

5. Add more oil . turn up the heat. Add the liver and sizzle till brown

6. garnish with the parsley

Serve on cocktail sticks. or with tomato/spinach/beetroot salad :lol: with crusty bread or on potato cakes .. :bighand: :drink2: :drink2:

ENJOY! Yum.

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 05:06 
Site Admin

Happened upon this interesting little gem of a BMW food guide UK book ! Here :D

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:41 
User

MMmm... Great days out, Must show to the in-laws :hehe:

Not sure about the "clean weekend" one though :twisted: Oh .. the Sizergh Farm Shop .. We have bought their sausages and taken the kids to watch the milky cows

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:43 
User

Lovely ideas for great days out! :bighand: I did find my way to a great watering hole on Friday where we had home made creamy of veg soup and steaks in front of a coal fire. Bliss :cloud9:

Should not need to tell the Wild :neko: to eat tuna.. red meat.. eggs .. poultry .. kidney beans.. broad beans.. soya beans

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next