Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 09:36 
User

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... hole_smash

Alerted to this story by Ted's sisters in Manchester ...

Manchester press wrote:
Bike boy loses teeth in pothole smash
Dean Kirby

September 25, 2009

A MUM has criticised the state of the road outside her home after her son lost his two front teeth when his bike hit a pothole.

Charlie Jerdin, 11, was riding his BMX outside the house in Poynton, when his front wheel went into the hole.

He went straight over the handlebars and landed face first on the road more than six feet away - smashing out his top two teeth and damaging two others.

The youngster had to go to hospital but his dentist fears the chances of saving his front teeth are slim.

He has been so upset by the incident that he missed his first days of high school.

Mum Victoria Jerdin, who has had to throw out his bike, said: "If the pothole hadn't been there this wouldn't have happened. The council should have repaired it.

"He came home with his teeth in his hand. There was blood all over him and he was white with shock."

Charlie was not wearing a helmet when the crash happened in Barnaby Road.

His mum says Charlie was sent home from Macclesfield District General Hospital and told to see his family dentist the next day. She says she has now been told by a dentist that Charlie's teeth should have been put back in that night, which would have increased the chances of saving them.

He will have to undergo extensive dental surgery.

Victoria, 31, said: "I just want the holes in the road filling because I wouldn't like to see this happening to someone else's child. Charlie won't go back to school. He's frightened of people staring at him and calling him names. Children do fall off their bikes - I know that - but if that hole hadn't been there, this wouldn't have happened."

A spokesman for Cheshire East council said: "Potholes in the road which are 50mm deep or greater are repaired or made safe within 24 hours. For footpaths the intervention level is 25mm. On inspection a shallow depression of 35mm was found on Barnaby Road which does not fall within the criteria for immediate repair."

A spokeswoman for East Cheshire NHS Trust confirmed that Charlie had attended the A&E department at Macclesfield District General Hospital.

She said: "There is no dental service within the hospital. The normal advice given would be for the patient to visit their own dentist as soon as possible."

Some of the reader comments beggar belief :popcorn: Kid was obeying the rules of the road. He fell victim to a pothole and I hope his family ruddy well sue the council :furious:

As for the hole "not meeting the criteria"

My Mam always says a "stitch in time saves nine" :popcorn: I happen to think she's right as usual! :bunker:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:21 
Supporter
Supporter

And what is the relevance of
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 14:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would be a rich man if every time I had fell of my bike I got some compo. £10 says he rides around the next one. That's not to say that the pot hole should not have been repaired, but "boy falls off bike" is hardly earth shattering news.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 18:47 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

A Bath councillor once advocated potholes as a means of natural traffic calming :roll:

http://www.makestupidityhistory.org/2005/07/26/potholes-as-traffic-calming-device/

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 18:10 

dcbwhaley wrote:
Quote:

Well, lad was riding a BMX, which is designed to be unstable. He could have just as easily knocked his teeth out on the kerb. Life is dangerous, sometimes you just have to take the knocks. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:43 
Supporter
Supporter

Homer wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
Quote:

Well, lad was riding a BMX, which is designed to be unstable. He could have just as easily knocked his teeth out on the kerb. Life is dangerous, sometimes you just have to take the knocks. :lol:

I suspect that if J Bonnington Jagworth had suffered damage to the suspension of his Speedine Super Six because of a pothole then this forum would be full of posts condemning the Highway Authority for maintaining the road properly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 13:12 
Life Member
Life Member

dcbwhaley wrote:

I suspect that if J Bonnington Jagworth had suffered damage to the suspension of his Speedine Super Six because of a pothole then this forum would be full of posts condemning the Highway Authority for maintaining the road properly.

I doubt a 35mm deep pothole would be much problem, it would probably have to be 3-4" deep really, like the height of a speed bump for instance. If an unusually large pothole caused someone to be injured then it is reasonable to make a fuss about it. I know this story seems like a storm in a teapot, however perhaps it might spark a review of the 50mm limit, which is pretty deep for a small diameter pushbike wheel to cope with. The question is are people willing to pay better road maintenance? We know that driving taxes do not pay for the roads so who pays for this? With 50mm being OK for a car to cope with and councils actively making the roads worse for motor vehicles anyway perhaps cyclists should put their hands in their pockets or parents of said cyclist. Then again spending the money going on speed humps might do the job and everyone would be happy.

Realistically, avoiding potholes, glass, bricks, mastic strips etc. is just part of life on two wheels. If the kid was not up to this perhaps his mum should have performed a safety assessment and either pointed the hazard out to her son or prevented him from cycling there. Having spotted the pothole she would then of course made the effort to report it to the council, would she have expected someone else to do this or be happy to pay the extra council tax for pothole patrols do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 00:53 

dcbwhaley wrote:
Homer wrote:

I might point out that he should watch where he was going, or get something with a bigger wheel. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 21:02 
User

Ahhh .. but I pay me taxes to have the potholes mended :lol:

OK .. so he should have seen the hole. He's a kid though. Tweenies do not realise the dangers OK .. my generatioh knew "compo would not happen" - and we'd get zero compassion for our mistakes from the "grown ups" :roll: of our generation :roll: and it made us into toughened men and women .. and streetwise savvy perhaps.

All the same .. I would expect a reported pothole to be mended as it was when I was a boy all he same. :roll:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 13:52 
Life Member
Life Member

In Gear wrote:
I would expect a reported pothole to be mended as it was when I was a boy all he same. :roll:

I could not see any indication in the article that the pothole had been reported prior to the incident. If it was reported and the council had decided not to repair it then perhaps she would have some grounds to complain that the 50mm limit is not acceptable given her lads accident. It is a shame the lad had too learn the lesson in such a way though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 20:42 
User

Potholes cause accidents. :listenup: It's your duty to report these holes!

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!