Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 03:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 19:56 
User

This situation all goes back to a decision made in the 50s when the Ministry of Transport asked the Cyclists Touring Club if it wanted cycle tracks included in the new standard for construction of new dual carriageway roads.
(several roads built in the 30s had had these installed and some of them are still there today).

(I know this because my father was a VERY keen cyclist at the time and told me about it)

The CTC said 'No', presumably thinking the next stage would be a ban on riding in the carriageway itself, but from this all our troubles come, because now we have fast and high volume traffic on these roads, but no means of separating cycles from motor traffic. In fact the law allows not just cyclists, but cattle and sheep, (all farm animals in fact), to be herded along such roads, the same as SC roads.

Of course if these new DC roads had been constructed as motorways, then the problem would not arise, but the parsimony in Government means that all motorway construction has now come to an end as an ordinary DC road is cheaper, so these are built instead where there is any building taking place, (precious little with this Government).[/i]

It seems to me that cyclists should be demanding their own facilities as were once provided as part of new road construction with not arguments made that it was superfluous or costly.