Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 07:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hayfever!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:09 
User

CW is full of useful stuff.

Wildy once posted up the dangers of anti-histamines and the need to read labels properly. I think she also explained how these work too. If you plan to drive or ride - then you need the non-drowsy type and some need nasay sprays and eye drops to complement the anti-histamine tablet.

However, the mag has some other useful tips which I think may help people who suffer from the effects of flowers opening up on a hot day such as we have "endured rather than enjoyed" lately. :wink:

1. Sleep with windows closed if you can. (Admit I have air conditioning in my home - downstairs and the cool air wafts upwards)

2. Do not hang your clothes out to dry outside - seems pollen will stick to the clothing and continue to irritate.

3. Apply some Vaseline on the lining of your nose

5. Shower after a ride to clean off any pollen caught on your body.

6. Improve your diet. Nutriionist tells CW that sugar dampens the immune system . She advises eating foods high in anti-oxidants such as fruit, veg, fish (and nuts and seeds) will help calm down the reaction to pollen.

7. :shock: :shock: She recommends nettle tea as this contains Vitamnin C and has anti-histamine qualities.

I did try this and some Nettle Beer sold in a shop in Heysham .. All I can say is ..

You have to acquire this taste. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I shall stick to my Assam! and the local Real Ale brew! :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 21:52 

I suffer from hayfever... It sucks to be honest... Right now I'm sitting here with my nose itching away... I've always had non-drowsy antihistimane, ever since I was 3 or 4, although it has changed a few times... Currently take neoclarityn, but you can buy normal clarityn over the counter... It's non-drowsy. I hate the summer, especially when I'm stuck around home... I find I'm better when I'm out hiking, the air is fresher and helps...

This is more a driving question, but seeing there is a topic on hayfever here, I'll post it here...

What should you do if you have a 'sneezing fit' like I would get, when you're driving... I guess the really sensible thing would be to pull over, but that takes time, and I wouldn't like to be too close to the kerb if I suddenly sneezed... Last night I started sneezing, counted about 6 or 7 times within a minute or so, and then I stopped... I kept driving, there wasn't much traffic about, and I just kept my eyes open as long as possible... I was only on a 30 limit suburban road, but what on a motorway... Would that be a fair enough reason to use the hard shoulder? I generally know before I sneeze, and I guess I would have enough time to get onto the shoulder and stop, and then let the sneezing take its course...