Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 19:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 20:00 
User

Only 3% of bike commuters know about this tax break per the financial bit of the papers.

If a company signs up to the "Cycle To Work" campaign - they can buy brnad new bikes to sell to employees for a fiver per month. After 12 months - you pay a nominal sum and the bike is yours to keep.

www.bikeforall.net reckons standard rate tax payers can save 43% of a £400 bike and accessories such as LIGHTS ... HELMET ... HIGH VIZ GEAR (and if you don;t use them - you should be taxed treble! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

"veee haf vays! :lol: :lol:

Top rate tax payers could save 50%.

If bike is used for commuting - then it qualifies as a TAX FREE benefit and employer spends on scheme are VAT free capital investment and the employee purchase are also free from Tax and NI.

Cycling England reckons cycling commuters are more conscientious, productive and take less time off sick.

I do not know how this claim is met. TGale of two hopsital porters.. the cycling one is less reliable and one of the junior doctors who cycles to work is always off with a bad knee.. and three nurses seem to do backs and knees... :roll: (Different department to mine.. all my staff drive in and no one is ever off sick :wink:

With regard to reliability of work force - I think it depends on how the boss commands as to loyalty and commitment given.

However, regardless of one dubious claim regarding a personality trait .. all cyclists on board, lurking cyclists and would-be cyclists ... do check out taxation and perks and any emplyer schemes to save yourselves a few bob!

But be warned - if you claim for helmets etc and fail to use them.. "this could be viewed as tax evasion :wink: " in my opinion :wink: :wink: But then I like wearing my helmet and using my cool 8-) Lupines and I think I cut a dash in my "get me noticed" gear. People do at least notice me anyway! :lol:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 20:38 

What about those of us who travel by more enviromentaly friendly methods than cycling?

I don't know of any scheme for me to buy shoes at a knock-down price? Or any tax breaks for walking.

But it's OK for these polluting cyclists, all that extra manufacturing of high-viz gear (a nce red coat is good enough for me, and it keeps the rain off as well), helmets, lycra, etc. All thoat extra water used showering when you get to work.

Tut tut tut....:x :x :x :P

Yes, a little tongue in cheek but a serious point nonetheless. Why is cycling considered the only alternative to the internal combustion engine?

How about tax breaks for people who live close to work? How about no stamp duty if you buy a house within walking distance of your workplace? How about a discount on council tax for one-car families? How about a double discount for no-car families?

Profile Send private message