Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 06:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:56 
User

C+ star letter – actually it’s a good ‘un! :lol: :lol: Well worthy of the prize mini wireless cycling computer :bow:

star letter wrote:
“I am a keen cyclist, walker and driver . I regularly use National Cycle Route 10 in Tyneside. But when I have been out trail cycling with my wife amd children I have been concerned that we regularly encounter rude, inconsiderate and dangerous cyclists

The cycling bodies and press are rightly campaigning for safer spaces for cyclists and more respect from car users. However, they really do need to set their own house in order first. I have seen cyclists hurtling very fast past horse riders and creeping up silently behind pedestrians and children, other cyclists and dogs.

I am particularly concerned about speed obsessed cyclists who never check their speed when passing and who never use bells to warn of their approach.

:lol:

NO – Kriss did not write this though it does sound like her rather spectacular rant as an outraged Mum and horse rider that time . :lol: Nigel Havers did not write this either. :lol: Twas a chap from Newcastle-upon-Tyne whose letter made it to the star letter and he wins a cycling computer too.

He gets to the nub of his letter

Quote:
I think it’s time that Cycling magazines and the CTC publish and promote a considerate Cyclist’s code and policy. I have thought of a few – common sense really.
    1 .Be careful when passing pedestrians, children and dogs, warn them of your approach, check your speed and be prepared for unpredictable events.

2. Always give an audible warning of your approach and remember some people may be hard of hearing or have a visual imparment

3. Always pass horse riders slowly and carefully and be prepared to stop if necessary

4. The best way to pass someone safely is to make eye contact with them
I think if all cyclists followed this simple code – the roads would be a lot safer for all

:clap:

The editor writes that he cannot argue that cyclists should show the same consideration to others as they expect themselves. He also agrees that some do not give any consideration to more vulnerable road users – but thinks the problem with horses is one of ignorance than thoughtlessness. (Kriss was told she had no right to ride her horse in a rural lane when she had a major rant over a couple of really inconsiderate blokes on mountain bikes)

Editor is keen to hear what other readers think. I think he has the answers on his own forum to be honest! :rotfl:

However, the leaflet I posted up the other week and Cycle Craft are the MUST reads for anyone using the roads whether they drive or ride as these do spell out a sound code of conduct as regards safety. As for atttutude? Highway Code paragraphs 124/125 and Road Craft's initial chapter point out the desirable attitudes. :)

Oh and the above code ... sound advice which no one could argue with anyway! :lol:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 16:47 

In Gear wrote:
C+ star letter – actually it’s a good ‘un! :lol: :lol: Well worthy of the prize mini wireless cycling computer :bow:

This must have sent Howard into melt-down.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 19:06 
User

Gizmo wrote:
In Gear wrote:

This must have sent Howard into melt-down.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Gasp ! :D

Assuming he does subscribe of course :wink:

I still think "Enjoy Your Bike!!" has the edge :lol: I enjoyed that mag!

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.