Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 09:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 20:39 
User

For anyone interested - Bolton Bike Week runs from Saturday June 17 to Sunday 25 June.

Per the "BEN" - scanned and mailed to me by my sister (and it's too big a spread to place on here :wink: )

So to summarise the article :wink:
8-)

The fun begins with a festival in the town centre's Victoria Square where there will be "stunning cycling displays, a public try-out area with all sorts of bikes from the weird 8-) to the wonderful :twisted:, a DJ, competitions and lots more!"

On Sunday - Bolton hosts the "Elite Mens Circuit Championship" for the first time. We have one of the youngsters in the family taking part in this 8-) (Not one of my brood .. but related 8-) ) This is the climax to the Horwich Carnival Races - and the top names are expected to compete as well! 8-) 8-) 8-) I shall be there with my sons! :lol: (Wildy is off to the food lovers fest up here 8-) )

On Wednesday .. Bike2 Work day and "Breaksfast At Tiffany's" and at most local firms to celebrate. It's free nosh as well 8-) ! Get stuck in - guys and gals in the Bolton 'burb (or should I say "burp" :lol: )

FOr a free organised ride (with NO CM connotations :wink: and NO NUDES! :hehe: - Mass Bike Ride on Saturday at Leverhulme Park !

Paper carries a 4 page pull -out ..

Tuesday - 20th June -

Little Trikes at Moses Gate Country Park. This is for the littlest ones 8-) :lol: Awww! Bless! :lol:

Mass Bike Ride - Wednesday - June 21 Leverhulme Country Park!

Cycling Saturday - 11 am -3pm - Leverhulme Country Park

Bike Barmy - Moses Gate Country Park - How to look after and service your two wheels :lol:

Bike Treasure Hunt -- Moses Gate Country Park Sunday 25th
Test your cycling skills on this bike orienteering course." 8-)

Sounds like a lot of fun to me! 8-) :lol:

Check out

www.cyclegm.com

www.bikeweek.org.uk

The latter will give details of similar events NEAR YOU!

Who says we are anti-cycling on here! :wink: We are all drivers - enthusiastic ones and perhaps why we want to raise driving standards and really question a daft road safety policy.

But a lot of us also ride bicycles with equal enthusiasm and wish to see the same desire to improve cycling standards too.

This site offers constructive criticism to all road users on aggregate as does the Pistonheads and most other sites which attract people who seriously wish to raise road safety awareness.

However, I think we (safespeed folk) keep feet firmly in the earth of reality and accept that riding a bike is not going to save a planet. :wink:

I said in a soap box rant... we cannot live by a true moral and ethical code and whatever we do .. however we act according to our own conscience ..someone somewhere will suffer as a result of our actions.

You hear all this FIRST on SAFESPEED ... The site for all road safety issues and very much pro-cycling, walking .. driving and horse riding in total safety

And of course .. we all love :love: cars too! :D

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 22:02 
User

Mad Moggie wrote:
I said in a soap box rant... we cannot live by a true moral and ethical code and whatever we do .. however we act according to our own conscience ..someone somewhere will suffer as a result of our actions.

You hear all this FIRST on SAFESPEED ... The site for all road safety issues and very much pro-cycling, walking .. driving and horse riding in total safety

Sorry MM, I believe the "to live, is to cause suffering" thing originally came from Buddhist philosophy.

Nowt wrong with reiterating it though!

:wink:

Mad Moggie wrote:

Sorry MM, wrong again!

You know, sometimes I wonder why I come to this site, there's a lot of stuff I don't agree with on here, but I don't have the nous or information resources to argue against it! I guess it must just be the interesting folk who frequent it!

Never really thought about it before, but thanks for putting up with me Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 07:48 
User

Peyote wrote:
Mad Moggie wrote:

Sorry MM, I believe the "to live, is to cause suffering" thing originally came from Buddhist philosophy.

Nowt wrong with reiterating it though!

DOH! Forgot Buddha said it first! That's why you have to be nice to things - in case it's your next incarnation..... or something :yikes:

Peyote wrote:
Mad Moggie wrote:

Sorry MM, wrong again!

Wot! But they are beautiful... apart from 4x4s and even Autocar reckoned the new BMW was no Beauty Queen of the car catwalk stakes.. :lol:

But.... my beautiful Moggie and Stag... ahhhhhhhhh! :love:

Quote:

You know, sometimes I wonder why I come to this site, there's a lot of stuff I don't agree with on here, but I don't have the nous or information resources to argue against it! I guess it must just be the interesting folk who frequent it!

Never really thought about it before, but thanks for putting up with me Paul.

Ah..... just post what you think.. it's an opinion you are expressing for discussion. We are gents here :wink: (Wildy is a lady - of course... have to say that - she's me wife :popcorn:)

Glad you like us.. we like reading you as well. Am sure you can add some useful and needed insight into the cyclist commuter skills too.

Also - forgot to add that if anyone in the Bolton/Bury/Manchester areas lurk or browse or hit on here - they can get FREE maps of the best places and cycling routes in and around Bolton by visiting

www.bolton.go.uk/cyclingbolton or phone 01204 336 115 for their copy and more information about Bike Week events in Bolton.

See - there are better ways to make people bike aware than riding around with no clothes on and upsetting folks by causing a traffic jam and offending them with a body which ain't what they see on the top shelf! :wink:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 08:49 
User

This week is National Bike Week – 8-) 8-) partner is Leukemia Research.
Gary Lineker is riding for them. Sunday - July 16th is the tenth anniversary of the annual ride for this chariity.. You can choose to go on routes between 13 miles up to 52 miles and they even have a car-free route around the grounds of the Royal Hospital Chelsea (where it starts)

My older brother, his wife and that rogue called Andreas and his older brothers Siegli and Joachim will be riding along in that one.

To see what's going on at the London Bieathon - visit www.londonbikeathon.co.uk or e-mail londonbikeathon@lrf.org.uk

Back to BIKE WEEK!

Highlight is supposed to be the Parliamentary bike ride – but somehow I cannot see the 4 – chinned one on a bike …. :lol: :lol: :rotfl:

I somehow think not.. though I'll bet David Cameron will be pedalling the fastest bicycle in the West down there :lol: 8-)

Per CW – it’s odd that it’s not a registered event. Today - BHF set off on the annual ride – their biggest charioty fund raiser - London-Brighton -. About 27,000 taking part. Amongst them .. about 5 other members of the family. 8-)

Member of the entire family are taking part in a number of rides for various health charities throughout the summer. Look out for riders sporting COAST and Safespeed for life on their T shirts! That’ll be the Swiss riff raff….. 8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :D :twisted: :clap:

CW wryly comments that in the past – riders to this event used to return by train. However, since privatisation – seems cyclists are just not welcome on UK trains. :shock: :?

No more special services… :shock: :? and Southern trains refuse to allow bikes on trains . per CW’s reporter Keith Bingham.
:furious:
It seems that unless you have a fold-up one – you ain’t gonna be letting the train take the strain! :?

Last year – Brighton station employed extra security men to prevent “lycra riff raff from even entering the hallowed ground of the station concourse!”:furious:

You can of course load your bike on the back of a lorry or in a coach hold….. oooohh – now that’s the REAL salt in the wound perhaps. (Trains are not really that much greener and perhaps they think the lorry can carry more bikes than the train – maybe that’s the logic …
:roll: :?

Of course – CW mentions the Gatwick Express which has decided to use its empty baggage vans for bikes…after running them empty for years… 8-)

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 20:57 
User

Tonight's "MEN" reported the "thrills and spills" of Manchester's event. My sisters attended the Bolton one and their husbands and one brother and another sister - the Manchester one.

Manchester's even had the world famous MAD stunt cyclists performing some really sensational feats and my third sister and a brother-in-law tried out a bike which involved pedalling with arms as well as legs :?

I asked them if this would catch on. They replied that if one was fit ... you could go at some respectable speed .. but they found it rather "tiring" after a quarter hour. They conceded that their muscles and co-ordination were not perhaps sufficiently developed or skilled for this kind of transport. :wink:

Manchester Airport Workers will get a free breakfast if they cycle to work per the paper. (Think other towns including those in Cumbria :wink: have the edge on this one.. as they are offering a free breakfast and brunch in one town :lol: 8-) )

Manchester's Bike Week Finale involves Chris Hoy who will open the Manchester Cycle Way on Sunday.

For more information - check out the website - I gave above as this is a national "event" even though not officially recognised. :roll:

Bit like COAST then :wink: Official on Speed Awares and DIS - but not given the national acclaim and embrace which is due to it :wink:

So .. cycling lurkers etc.. campaign for the RIGHT things ..

Official government recognition and backing and support of BIKE WEEK and C O A S T :wink:

Road safety and harmony depends on causes like these. It does not depend on automation.

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING