Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 21:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 20:04 
User

This one is my kind of mag :lol: 8-)

"Enjoy Your Bike" - Issue One on sale now!

This is aimed at the LEISURE and PLEASURE riders! 8-)

OK - so predictably they have a big play on Bike Week and the numerous charity events and for record - entire family is involved in these events in the areas where they live :lol: 8-) :wink:

For a family man like me .. an excellent piece on planning a bike ride. As with car journeys - I build in comfort stops and when riding - I have to be aware as to how far I can reasonably expect a small child to ride at one go. Nothing worse than trying to cope with a very tired child. :roll: :wink: You also ride at their pace. They can get demoralised if I ride off at my own capability speed. If you are with the family and leading them - then you are just as responsible as you are behind the wheel of a car. :wink:

Excellent article about getting the bike adjusted to your own comfort. Look -it's exaclty like adjusting the driver seat before you set off :wink:

The mag focuses on a series of graduated rides in the New Forest and promises to focus on a different area "Down You Way" each month.

It has an excellent piece as to how to get back on a bike after years of driving :lol: :shock: :wink: and reviews bikes which a family may wish to purchase.

In short - a nice magazine for the niche market of families and people returning to the "BUG" (Bike User Group) of cycling :wink:

Hah .. bet this site will get more bums on bikes after all :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :D

Eh - Paulie- Paul :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :shock:

It's 8-) 8-) 8-) to bike it for fun.... :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:40 
User

I get Cycling Plus and CTC's Cycle (and occasionally the Comic). C+ has frequently admitted that it doesn't cater enough for starters or re-starters on bikes but have tried with features like the recent one on learning to ride.

It will be interesting to see if "Enjoy Your Bike" catches on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 21:24 
User

A Cyclist wrote:
I get Cycling Plus and CTC's Cycle (and occasionally the Comic). C+ has frequently admitted that it doesn't cater enough for starters or re-starters on bikes but have tried with features like the recent one on learning to ride.

It will be interesting to see if "Enjoy Your Bike" catches on.

I think it might.. it fills a gap.

I subscribe to "Cyclosport" and we have some foreign mags as well. For me and the kids .. useful for language perfecting as well. My wife will just read as "normal" to her. 8-) :wink: :lol:

I do have C+ every other month. Others in family have every month.. including Kriss and her husband and that cheeky devil Andreas by the way. :wink:

This one .. a new one and found it whilst browsing in W H Smiths.

If you join a club or a CTC group.. most rides are long and committed. Most returners need and require a gentler re-introduction and many will ride for pure pleasure to gain skills, stamina and confidence

On reading this new mag in full... .bought it to evaluate it properly .. I think it bridges the gap very nicely and will perhaps encourage more to ride and try the short family rides and then build on this.

My wife can now ride a full 30 miles without needing to break. We had to build her up after that trauma some 15 years ago. It does take time if you are in a rehab situation as well.

Wildy knows her limitations. That does not mean she sticks to this "limit". She'll try to do a little more each time .. and it does help.
Must do .. since last year it was 25 miles and this year she achieved that 5 miles more at one ride. 8-) :lol: :wink:

However, with a large family, ;omng commutes to work.. and love of our cars anyway. .. we will still use cars to get to work :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 22:25 
User

I remember reading a cyclist magazine. Anti-car or what? Bike lanes wider than car lanes, quiet lanes etc widely encouraged.

These sorts of people run local authorities and authorise junction alterations (M275/A27/A3 Portsmouth roundabout-crossroad conversion, with toucan crossings of course!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:02 
User

Like Mad Moggie I looked at the new mag in Smiths and it is a family magazine not aimed at the enthusiasts. I wish it well as it does fill a gap - as most casual cyclists will be put off by the enthusiast magazines.