Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 19:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Chapeau
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

found this link in usenet today... hope I'm still that fit in 10 years time let alone another 50.

Daily Record wrote:
NEIL'S AN OLD AGE PEDALLER

SUPERFIT Neil Sinclair plans to celebrate reaching 90 - by cycling more than 10,000 miles.

And the icing on the cake will be a cycling holiday in France.

Neil has pedalled around 10,000 miles a year since the end of World War II and has no intention of stopping now.

The retired driving examiner lives with his wife Elizabeth, 79, in St Martins, outside Perth.

He said: "I cycled to Forfar the other day, which is a 64-mile return trip but it's semi-flat.

"The hills get me more than they used to but I still climb them.

"I try for 10,000 miles every year and it's very seldom that I can't manage it.

"I used to do more than 14,000 miles, around 80 miles every day, but I'm starting to slow down. It doesn't stop me getting out there every day though."

When Neil and his wife go on a trip to places such as Killin or Aberfeldy, he cycles while Elizabeth drives ahead.

The OAP still belongs to the Perth United Cycle Club, although he no longer attends club days.

He finds that it's the people he meets on his travels that keeps cycling interesting for him.

He added: "That's the beauty of cycling - you're not cocooned inside a car, you're free to talk to everyone and take everything in.

"People are usually very friendly and open to cyclists.

"They can relate to you because it's something that everyone has done in their life at some time.

"I can't wait to get over to France again this year.

"Cycling is such a great healthy pastime and it has given me so much.

"I'm like a young boy when I go out to the shed and prepare for a cycle. I still get so excited."

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 18:10 
User

You do realise that "chapeau" is a David Duffield expression? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 18:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

A Cyclist wrote:
You do realise that "chapeau" is a David Duffield expression? :wink:

actually it really is a French expression. If DD happens to use it then c'est la vie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 20:27 
User

I understand from those Swiss who also speak French. 8-) (Wildy's command of other languages is much better than her English :popcorn: but per old much travelled acquaintance of the silken legs who could perhaps top this old bloke in bike miles... who speaks French very well...

If you say "chapeau, mon vieux!" it means "Jolly good show .. old bean :bow: :clap:

If you "tirez votre chapeau" to some bod -- It's "Top Hat Old Bean!" :clap: :bow:

If someone was succcessful and they they "Bof! Chapeau" - it means " Jolly good show - BRAVO!"

If the commentator in the coming Tour says that our our Brit hopes have "demarre sur les chapeaux de roues" - then thye have taken off like a shot and burned up other riders 8-) :lol: (I wish .. :wink: )

If Ullrich "prend un virage sur les chapeaux de roues" - he will have screeched at full speed around the corner or "cornered well" 8-) 8-) 8-)

("chapeau de roue" - per the silken piston legged pal of the Swiss chap called Willi and who also rides with Peter Ward who writes sensible stuff to CW "letters" - means "hub cap" :wink:

But all the same .. I would hope to still be riding and driving well in my "twilight years". So far .. we appear to be a family who age nicely and disgracefully - so I guess I may just be in with a small chance there! :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.