Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 09:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 20:50 
User

part rant.. part warning...

on todays jaunt in the stupid afternoon heat i was happily spinning along.
a check over the shoulder revealed a line of traffic (released from lights on a single lane bridge) including somewhere near the front a caravan.

approaching a reasonably sharp 90deg left hander i could hear the line of traffic on my shoulder. red car begins overtake on the bend, i think hmmm, bit tighter than i'd like but ho hum.... its a red car, the one at the front of the queue.. perhaps the caravan was attached to the car behind that one then.

but no.. to my horror and disgust the car that just passed me is towing a caravan which is a) significantly wider than the car.. and b) cutting the corner!

so what was a tight pass for the car (1.5-2ft? gap) was now a caravan inches from my elbow.. and getting closer!

fortunately no contact this time.. so watch out for these numpties.

thinking of taping a marker to my right glove... if anything comes in range, they're fair game :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:15 
User

Watch out - a straw poll by myself indicates that at least half of caravan towing vehicles do not have appropriate side mirrors such that they can see down the side of the caravan.

So they have no idea how much gap they are leaving - heaven help us cyclists if they forget they are towing a van. :x

A major safety issue but few traffic police to stop them and demand they do something about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 15:58 

ed_m wrote:
so watch out for these numpties.

as a caravan owner I resent the generalisation of this comment

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 16:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

overfinch 630R wrote:
as a caravan owner I resent the generalisation of this comment

Do you tow yours in a dangerous manner? If not then I don't see that the comment applies to you any more than me saying "there are people out there who want to kill you. Watch out for these murderers" makes you a murderer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 21:15 
User

A Cyclist wrote:
Watch out - a straw poll by myself indicates that at least half of caravan towing vehicles do not have appropriate side mirrors such that they can see down the side of the caravan.

So they have no idea how much gap they are leaving - heaven help us cyclists if they forget they are towing a van. :x

A major safety issue but few traffic police to stop them and demand they do something about it.

Part of the problem - I guess - is lack of expertise and practice. Most of these people tow once per year :roll: As a skill - it's often missed on the theory/hazard perception test- and is never tested at all as a practical.. :roll: Personally, I would like to see some kind of training offered to all who buy a caravan and intend to tour with it as this is a learned and developed skill like anything else.

Though for me - I like a nice hotel, with decent facilities and a golf course attached - :lol: - and room service for me and my wife :lol: 8-) :wink: :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 22:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
[quote="In Gear

Personally, I would like to see some kind of training offered to all who buy a caravan and intend to tour with it as this is a learned and developed skill like anything else.

quote]

Personaly, IG - forget the "offered" - add "mandatory " --i have a car etc licence - got it in 1967- whickh allows me to driveall sorts of things i have never driven - and which common sense dictates i need some training on first. It also allowed me to buy a moped, put up L plates and head out - till the CBT came along - me - i would have gone looking for training in the old days.
So why not compulsary training for caravans - car + caravan is almost the same length as a small HGV -

But then , i come from a part of the world which seems to attract caravandrivers sans brains. I used to live at the end of the "Road to the isles " , last point before getting yor feet wet .And yes - in 1966 , when a lot fitter than now , on a Raleigh Tourer ( 3 speed Sturmey archer ) , i achieved my ambition - i rode the 48 miles of it - took me about 4 hours , for a week i was stiff, but the feeling - one ambition down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 23:04 
User

Exacty botach - perhaps "mandatory" as soon as caravan is purchased

As you say - a long vehicle which requires a different type of skill. No one is suggesting "kill joy" but that one should do the homework when buying a caravan or trailer (and this includes bikers and cyclists too) and we have to recognise that towing anything requires a certain set of skills/

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.