Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 20:56 
User

This appeared in todays's"MEN" on Kevin Bocquet's column - page 17.

Quote:

About 5 years ago, alarmed at my expanding waistline and about to embark upon yet another diet - I bought a bike.

I hadn't ridden one for years and was full of enthusiasm of replacing all those unnecessary car journeys with a green method of transport and losing flab in the process.

Oooh - a greener than thee dig a-coming up 8-) :lol: :wink:

Quote:

(I cannot remember if I was influenced by Boris Johnson as David Cameron (Dayveeeeeeee! with the fastest pushbike in the West 8-) :lol: ) had not been "invented yet :wink:

He then continues :? :shock: that his bike still remains unridden in his garage.

Quote:

Yet another failed fitness drive

He goes on to give his reasons why he never got the BUG.. and it has shades of my sister-in-law's rants on some other site.

Quote:

The first was idleness - It was too much effort

Yeah .. I have to agree. I recommend gentle exercise and even a little cycling and some patients just see this advice as anything but "gentle!" :shock: :? :? :?

Interestingly he says the second was [i] fear and I think the constant whines that cyclists are too "vulnerable" are unhelpful. Cycling is safe so long as you apply COAST, Franklin's advice and I could suggest any CTC approved trainer as they do provide some excellent lessons.

He started out on some designated cycle paths but deferred riding on the road "until more confident"

He never achieved this confidence as he felt

Quote:

Terrified because of inconsiderate drivers who passed too close for his comfort.

The there are those potholes which had me in severe fear of going over the bars.

He felt like riding a bike was like engaging in battle as a soldier or a sortie in the RAF!

He cites the stats which show increaed KSI amongst cylists as justification for his fear and reckons a cyslist really chances his life on every cycling journey.

He will keep to the cycle paths.

:cry: :( Sadly he will encourage his daughters to

Quote:

Sticl to safer activities than cycling and hopes that she will never ask for the bike she grew out of three years ago to be replaced

:shock: :?

Cycling is perfectly safe so long as Highway Code, rules of the road, common sense and COAST ideas are observed.

I hope Kev Bocquet lurks on this site, C+, PH and many others as we all offer sound advice and we say that you can enjoy cyclling without fear if all COAST principles are observed and taught and refreshed as a constant. I would also more than recommend a visit to the CTC site to obtain details of those qualified and approved trainers and to book a lesson with them asap. :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message