Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 06:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: C+ Letters
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 15:21 
User

One guy wins the star letter and writes that when he rode in the 60s - cyclists used to nod and smile at each other. They no longer do so.

He's 59 - does not wear lycra nor shaves his legs and he admits that despite riding and reading C+ - he's still a little - well dumpy and saggy in the middle :lol:

He then sent a second e-mail claiming that he donned some lycra - failed to sahve his legs - but at least got a nod from a fellow cyclist. :lol:

Not sure what he's trying to say other than cyclists seem have a snob attitude to kit :shock: :shock: :shock: :P :roll: :oops:

The editor replied that the writer was opening a right can of worms here as cyclists get lycra into a twist if another rider dares to wave at them :?

He even says that cyclists find being forced to wave "oppressive" :?

And that cyclists have to fight for the right not to wave or nod unless in the mood. :roll:

Oh here we go again :roll:

editor of C+ on Letters page wrote:

You can see their point. Motorists do not wave - or at least not in a nice way to each other and in this neck of the woods - it's the lycra-clad types who nod and wave and not the casually attired

I suppose this also extends to helmet wearers as the majority of lycra clad usually buy the matching trendy helmet and glasses :wink: :wink: :wink:

By the way - I usually find if I wave and smile to another driver or rider - they usually smile and wave back. Guess it must be something in the smile and friendly manner. Like Manners usually beget like manners!
:wink:

So .. to the board .. how "noddy and wavey" are you? :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject: Re: C+ Letters
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 15:27 

In Gear wrote:

Some of these people must have absolutely nothing else to worry about in their lives, at all, ever. :roll: No wonder the French can't understand us...which I suppose is a good thing in a way.

But, to answer the question..on the motorbike I'm as noddy and wavey as the next biker. In the car..no cameraderie between tin-toppers is there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 15:35 
User

Linked in a way - reply to last month's star letter about manners (posted up somewhere but cannot recall where I posted it :roll:

Anyway - Adrian from London replies that he agrees with the letter.

Quote:

It appalls me to see other cyclists routinely disobeying red lights without slowing down in the least; speeding through zebra crossings when all the other vehicles (ie cars) stopped to allow the pedestrians to cross. Is it any ownder that car drivers get the hump with us?

Couriers are the worst and if you add to this the fair weather cyclsits who only come out on their bikes when the sun is shining.. - their cycling ability leaves a lot to be desired. The most dangerous cycling I see are those who cycle up the inside of buses and lorries. I work in the emergency services and I have had to attedn accidents cuased by this - and the sights are not pretty.

To all those ccylists out there - for goodness sake abide by the Highway Code. It is for all road users . At teh end of the day -by being on a bike in a large city - you will get to your desitnation quicker than any vehicle anyway. Why take unnecessary and daft risks. Do you want to end up in a wooden box?

Well said and well done to C+ for publishing this letter. :bow: :clap:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:40 
User

Scooby drivers wave to each other... well most of them do in turbo Imprezas anyway. :)

Post subject: Re: C+ Letters
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In Gear wrote:

always nod or wave to fellow cyclists (ie people in lycra on real bikes, not overgrown bmxs :stirthepot:) . You can always tell the newbies as they ignore you. Rude gits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:56 
User

If you wave, nod or smile at other cyclists most return the gesture, a few don't - that's human beings for you!