Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 04:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 21:04 
User

Per "MEN" (Alan Jones reports}

TUC are asking office workers to turn off computers and lights and to walk or cycle to work to be "greenier than thee and THINK - GREEEEEEEEN"

Sure - have no probs with switching off lights and computers. I have always done so and so has my wife and all our combined families. I abhor waste and we do use things up to get "our money's worth" :lol:

Yes - as the TUC suggests ... I open envelopes carefully and I do re-use them each time I can.. and both Wildy and self do print our reports on both sides of our paper. I do use "energy saving bulbs" as well.

Businesses waste 30 % of the energy they buy and see "lighting" as "prestige" :roll:

I admit to burning a little more lighting than I should at Christmas.. but I have small children who love a Christmas Tree - and I will pay for this "feeling of childhood magic" for my small kids as this is a part of their childhood.

As for cycling to work? Alas .. my place of work is some distance. If you can .. DO ride to and from work. I would if I could .. but we are talking very long distances and yeah.. when I moved here - I did use my bike. But I worked my way up the ladders and I have to travel more. I like my home and invested cash into it. I would not want to live anywhere else and confess to being in a dilemma as some body in USA is offering both me and my wife an "opportunity"... but we love UK and Cumbria too much... :? :shock: It's a nice feeling in some way .. but not in others..

We also have youngsters to consider too. :roll: :wink:

I would use more fuels if I used a number of small cars than our current family cars. Bear in mind that children cannot ride long distances and that, on any family ride, I have an even greater responsibilty than in my car.

I have to keep a large family of small kids together and keep them safe. I have to ensure that we keep together on a long ride and I also have to make sure that these youngsters can cope with climbs and so on.

Thus.. I will stick with a car for long distance excursions and we will ride a bike on local short distance sojourns. Long rides - like the one the entire family will be involved in in October... we will naturally have a couple of cars with refreshments, rests etc as a back up. We think we will have no more than three cars backing us with necessities anyway.

Entire family taking part ..so three cars is going to be cutting things fine anyway. :roll:

Been in training for the "epic".. think am OK - did the Cumberland Challenge and do not ache at all. :lol: 8-) 8-)

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message