Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 00:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Kit - what Kit?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 01:18 
User

Now I know all about mountains from those ruddy hooligans from Appenzell. :wink:

But in the Alps at the time I will be riding - we are sort of into Indian summer and autumn weather. Now in the recent heat wave - I did wet a sock through and place over my bottled water. I did find it kept the drink cooler - it did work and I have to thank one of the Swiss "riff raff" for that tip.

Now I do use a sunblock and reckon I'll still need it but even though I have an idea of what kind of kit to go for in my own mind - I'd appreciate some ideas to confirm my idea as to a variety of light layers. I do not know if my choice of these layers is necessarily correct - so would apreciate some ideas to check against my own choice of kit. (Will let you know what bits of my existing kit and purchases made are.. and swap and discuss best kit at this point.

I understand the High Alps can be very chilly in the early fall morning and evening in particular but can be warm in the day. I think hat and gloves are extemely essential on that basis - but there are other things I should include but I do not want to overload. So again - some more deas as to how much to cart around and how much to store in good ol' Wildy's boot - ta :wink:

Bear in mind that I will want to take various gadgets and bits and bobs to fix the bike in emergency as well

So - to the board - what would be your choice of aboslutely essential gear for a set of daily rides up and down a very steep hill and averaging about 50 or so miles per day - more on some and less on others?

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Kit - what Kit?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 15:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

well, just in case you haven't gone yet. My summer wear is bib-shorts, vest and jersey. Not sure how cold you're talking in the alps but in summer arm-warmers were enough for me. If it's a bit chillier maybe add a newspaper (or a gilet), leg warmers and some liner gloves to keep your fingers warm on the descents. That should do you down to about 10C.
For tools/spares I carry a park multi-tool, tyre levers, 2 tubes, a patch kits and a spoke key either in an under saddle bag (to leave room for the extra clothing to go in my pockets). Maybe a chain tool if you're really paranoid. Anything that requires more major work than that I'm not going to attempt on the road.
If you're going up a mountain then make sure you've got a couple of litres of water (and more in the car if it's following or ensure there's somewhere along your route to get more) and finally some energy or breakfast bars. Mars bars are good too if it's not too hot to melt them.

Post subject: Re: Kit - what Kit?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 00:15 
User

johnsher wrote:
well, just in case you haven't gone yet. My summer wear is bib-shorts, vest and jersey. Not sure how cold you're talking in the alps but in summer arm-warmers were enough for me. If it's a bit chillier maybe add a newspaper (or a gilet), leg warmers and some liner gloves to keep your fingers warm on the descents. That should do you down to about 10C.
For tools/spares I carry a park multi-tool, tyre levers, 2 tubes, a patch kits and a spoke key either in an under saddle bag (to leave room for the extra clothing to go in my pockets). Maybe a chain tool if you're really paranoid. Anything that requires more major work than that I'm not going to attempt on the road.
If you're going up a mountain then make sure you've got a couple of litres of water (and more in the car if it's following or ensure there's somewhere along your route to get more) and finally some energy or breakfast bars. Mars bars are good too if it's not too hot to melt them.

This little escapade is set to to take place in October.. just in time for the chill factors at night.,.. may be warmish in the day if sunny.

Good thinking.. am thinking of some light layers up top and wear normal leggings with leg/ankle warmers . Wildy will probably have hot drinks and flasks of soup with her.. as well as water. Useless to have Wildy in charge of anything choccy - she's scoff it all. :lol: So think I shall have my stash of Mars Bars and Choc chip cereal bars somewhere on the bike! :lol:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.