Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 21:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 21:19 
User

The Times

The government is considering making it illegal for cyclists not to have bells fitted. Apparently pedestrians have complained about bikes sneaking up from behind and not warning of their presence.

One more thing to remove from the bike then when leaving it unattended. :wink: Personally when I am cycling on the road, I expect pedestrians to look before plunging out, and not assume that because they can't hear engine noise the road must be clear. Obviously the cyclist's fault if he mows down a jay walker then. :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 21:48 
User

nedsram wrote:
The Times

The government is considering making it illegal for cyclists not to have bells fitted. Apparently pedestrians have complained about bikes sneaking up from behind and not warning of their presence.

One more thing to remove from the bike then when leaving it unattended. :wink: Personally when I am cycling on the road, I expect pedestrians to look before plunging out, and not assume that because they can't hear engine noise the road must be clear. Obviously the cyclist's fault if he mows down a jay walker then. :evil:

Hi Brian

Wildy already posted story.. :lol:

Already posted up my own tale of woe. I was victim of a pavement cyclist last year. Posted at the time and them cyclists over the road think I make "meal" of it... :roll:

I was on pavement and walking past some Transco works. I never heard anything until the cyclist pushed past me.. and I fell into the pavement gas workings. Blood everywhere. Hurt like hell .. needed stitches and medics are good at giving orders to patients but not so good at being a patient .. :roll: :wink: :shock: (Oh for "Mr Rueful Wryness" smiley guy.. :wink: :wink: )

I shout and ring my bell when in hearing range and I slow as I do in car too. Bit I do not ride on pavements. My warning sounds are invariably on shared path or if pedestrian looks like stepping out with no glances.. and in earshot. I still ease up though.. you avoid falls and quote possible to keep momentum at an eased up rate too :wink: Discovered this on recent rides as in training like IG for a family "epic of a mountain pass sortie" :roll:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:35 

When I was in Tokyo a couple of years ago everyone cycled on the pavement. There were bells ringing all the time. The problem was that pedestrians weaved in and out of each other presenting a constant hazard to cyclists that were comming from behind at more than double walking speed. When the rang the bell the pedestrians moved out of the way............The system worked quite well on crowded streets.
Since we are not used to car horns or bells we do not know how they are "supposed" to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 08:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The real joke about this is the level of penalties possible. A £2,500 fine and 2 years in jail.

Dis nobody involved with the drafting of this law stop to think how stupid this is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 21:14 

malcolmw wrote:
The real joke about this is the level of penalties possible. A £2,500 fine and 2 years in jail.

Dis nobody involved with the drafting of this law stop to think how stupid this is?

Situations alter cases.

Here in London NW10 I'm more scared of mad cyclists than I am of muggers. There is a real problem round here of psychopaths on stolen bikes, up on the pavement and 'playing chicken' as they race at their pedestrian victims and then veer off at the last instant.

I'm an old man and a bit weak down one side. One came at me a few days ago. As usual I put my stick up to him, bayonet-drill style. So far it's always worked.

The police have to start clobbering these scum. Some of them should go to prison.

Incidently, stolen bikes and violent pavement cycling are two sides of the same coin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 22:24 
Life Member
Life Member

malcolmw wrote:

It seems to be the case that the less synonymous with 'natural justice' a law is, the heavier the punishment is made, in order to guarantee compliance.

Because no-one really cares if you have a bell or not the punishment must be disproportionately severe, as society at large's moral opprobium is likely to be minimal.

Good example is my job (looking after potplants in offices): If I use a can of bug killer bought in a garden centre to kill some bugs on a plant, I can go to jail for two years. The penalty has been made unnaturally severe, as no-one except the state really cares.

Sorry to go way off topic but you see the analogy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 22:38 
User

Relax.. we have not got the resources..

Though :scratchchin: they might g-g-get wardens :roll:

Or a camera with microphones :twisted:

Loudspeaker to boom out

"Oy - you with the lycra on that yellow Trek .. Yer NICKED!" :shock:

Cracker of a post on t'other channel about us doing midnight raids for "future jeopardy" :rotfl:

I almost wrecked this computer when I read it.. still finding bit of spluttered dunked doughnuts over the table here :lol:

Since those guys lurk in here to see what we're up to and report back "that we're at it again" :wink: Aw.. shucks and sweet! A fan club.. :lol: 8-) ,, cheers for a really funny post! Had me in stitches literally! Ta!

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.