Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 06:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:06 
User

I have decided to award a prize each day i cycle to work for the car that came closest to knocking me off.

And yesterdays winner is..... one of those rapid response estate based ambulances :roll:

I haven't decided what the prize actually is yet, ideas welcomed :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 21:29 
User

How about a tape measure, A voucher for Dolland and Aitcheson, and a refresher course at BSM? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 09:10 
User

far too constructive ernest.. the nominees for this mornings ride in are:
- a bmw who reversed out of his drive across my path
- a pimped up mini who couldn't wait 2seconds to pass
- a mazerati who waited patiently for a hundred yards and then chose the narrowest poorest visibility section to pass

i did make a concerted effort to thank drivers who had actively waited to pass in a safe place, unfortunately being courteous to the driver who hasn't knocked you off doesn't seem to stop the next one trying!

i'll save judgement until after the ride home :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 23:07 
User

ed_m wrote:
far too constructive ernest.. the nominees for this mornings ride in are:
- a bmw who reversed out of his drive across my path
- a pimped up mini who couldn't wait 2seconds to pass
- a mazerati who waited patiently for a hundred yards and then chose the narrowest poorest visibility section to pass

i did make a concerted effort to thank drivers who had actively waited to pass in a safe place, unfortunately being courteous to the driver who hasn't knocked you off doesn't seem to stop the next one trying!

i'll save judgement until after the ride home :wink:

The woman who waited for ever to turn right until I had passed (although she had plenty of time), then overtook me and immediately turned left, running me off the road.

Some women seem to think that if it's behind you, it doesn't exist. I recall this woman who very slowly overtook a police car. Once past it, she then accelerated away, only to be immediately stopped for speeding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 08:15 
User

well after an uneventful cycle home (albeit requiring some assertive positioning)... i think the mini gets it on sheer proximity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:18 
User

mondays cycle was fairly uneventful.... save for a couple of beeps cos they couldn't get passed .. bless :roll:

i thought yesterdays was fairly tame too until....

following my colleague down a 1 way semi rural lane, which does vary in width significantly. where i consider it wide enough for a car to pass i leave plenty of room, where it narrow i move out to discourage numpties.

one such widening is just about long enough for a car to get past if they give it a quick blip, so hearing a car behind it seemed only courteous to leave room. the car behind hesitated before going for it, leaving it a bit late i thought.

as it came past it turned out to be a 4x4 so a bit bigger than i expected, i could see this was going to be closer than i'd like, especially for my colleague who i was following.

then to my horror came a trailer :shock: which was slightly wider again than the 4x4. i called out something along the lines of 'whoooah.. trailer.. TRAILER!' cos i knew he wouldn't be expecting it either.

it was close.... fag paper close. the trailer had barely cleared my colleague before the left wheel was kicking up dirt from the edge of the road.

the road does a sharp left to a t-junction... i could see my colleague had a red mist on and things might get messy.. although i know who my money was on.. he is a well proportioned rugby player after all. for some reason the 4x4 & trailer made a fairlt swift departure from the junction going the other way just as we rolled up alongside.

makes up for monday really. definitely a nominee for to go forward for driver of the month.