Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:52 

I've recently resumed an interest in cycling, after an interval of around 30 years! I bought a Pro-Bike Enterprise - an ordinary bike, 3 gears on the front and 6 on the back, controlled by twist grips. I like it!

At first, I felt overwhelmed by all the traffic around me, but I feel that drivers have been considerate - so far.

The biggest nuisance seems to be school children. I was out for a 10 mile ride yesterday, and within the first 10 minutes I had to deal with two groups who had little or no road sense.

1. A group of 4 girls was walking along the left pavement in front of me, in the same direction as me. I did not ring my bell because they were on the pavement. But then, without warning, two of them walked out into the road to cross - and they didn't even look. Too late for the bell to do any good, I had to swerve round them. One gave a silly scream as I went by - LOL

2. Less than 5 minutes later, 4 boys walking along left pavement, same direction as me. They were pushing and shoving each other, clobbering each other with bags/rucksacks etc. My arrival at the scene did not faze them! All four ended up in the road in front of me and I had to dodge between the group, who behaved as if I was invisible.

That was all until I got back home, where I found the road blocked by about 8 kids, and there were several bikes, skateboards, scooters etc., lying in the road in front of me. This time I did ring the bell, and one lad aged about 13 simply turned around and faced me in a stance of defiance. He was not getting out of the way for me! One of them did get up and moved to the pavement, creating a gap that I was able to use.

Unbelievable. It sure isn't 1966 any more. Whatever happened to the "green cross code"? Oh wait, if there had been an accident, it would have been MY fault - for riding too fast, or for having too quiet a bike, perhaps... I could expect the parents to show up at my house, claiming that I'd violated the little darlings' human rights. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:16 
User

violate away i say :D

by the way.. is your saddle really trying to get into orbit?
can that possibly be comfortable??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:29 

ed_m wrote:
by the way.. is your saddle really trying to get into orbit?
can that possibly be comfortable??
LOL - no, I took this pic as soon as I got the bike home - the saddle had come loose. I fixed it, but it came loose again. It seems like those nuts under the saddle have to be extremely tight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 09:05 
User

I'd check the seat post bolt - check for any cracks and also check the clip underneath the saddle is not damaging the seat post.

I have a gel-filled saddle :lol: :lol: I like to be comfy! :lol:

As for the ignorant kids - once upon a time they used to be a little "in awe" of policemen in uniform. Not any more .. :roll:

We seem to developing a society whereby the teaching of good manners and courtesy is simply ignored. Green Cross is a part of this :wink:

I usually ring my bicycle bell as soon as I see any person ahead just to let them know that "bloke on bicycle" about to pass them at fair rate of oomph! :lol:

But you know the situation you describe is precsisely why the UK leads the way in kids killed on our roads. More to do with pee-cee attitude and failure to educate and and a fear of firm discipline. :roll:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 13:08 
User

Just lately, I noticed a rash of incidents, where children or teenagers have fallen into the road while skylarking - in fact last thursday I photographed one group who seemed to be making a sport of walking along a prticularly difficult stretch of wall, just a pavement width (narrow) from a busy A road. I watched while waiting to exit a junction, and two out of five fell off - luckily away from the road - hence my picture opportunity.
This particular wall has thin stones set on edge to discourage walking on it, so is all the more hazardous for those reckless enough to try.

I've lost count of the number of times I have had to ask other parents "Do you know what your children are up to" when something has gone amiss near my home, and one has been injured, or has misbehaved in some manner. The usual response is "Oh, my little Johnny would'nt do that, he has been well brought up" which is just as bad under the circumstances as the "What's it got to do with you?" which usually comes from the single parent mothers!

Clearly this deteriation in Children's behaviour has coincided with the demise of Airfix Kits, and the onset of video games and 24 hour TV!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 15:14 
User

Road sense is getting terrible nowadays; no wonder people get killed when they step out into the road then look. I frequently see idiots with a lack of common sense, yet if you hit them it becomes your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 00:01 
User

We seem to live in a society where people from a young age realise their immunity to any authority.

It's rare I see anyone displaying a real lack of road sense and accidentally stepping out, but often I see the 'I'm proving something' or 'I'm tough' attitude. Be it kids who see you coming then step out deliberately to see your reaction, or morons with their fist at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel inches from your back bumper driving their whoopee-cushion exhausted Fiesta.

I don't have any answers, but finding new and interesting ways of emptying people's bank accounts in lieu of punishment clearly isn't it.