Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 18:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bicycle Maintenance
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:23 

Way back in the 1960s when I got my first serious bike, the wheels had a chrome finish which I used to polish with DuraGlit, or something similar. I would keep the chain and gears well oiled with 3-in-1 oil, and would oil the wheel bearings with same.

However, my latest Pro-Bike "Enterprise", which I bought this month, has no chrome and is made (I believe) of aluminium alloy. The chain and gears do not need oil, the salesman told me. There is a light coating of grease, but it's basically a dry mechanism. The chain itself is apparently made of some kind of aluminium alloy. However, I was supplied with a spray can of PT85 - rather like WD40 and contains PTFE. It's water repellent.

On Thursday, I went for a ride by the River Thames, using the towpath. After all the rain we've had, it was extremely muddy, and the bike got filthy. So did I! I cleaned the bike using a pressure washer which was ideal for blasting away all the mud, which was even in the chain and gears. Afterwards I sprayed PT85 on the chain and gears, and repeated this treatment the following day before my next ride.

Am I on the right track with this form of maintenance? I was worried that the pressure washer would wash off what little grease is on the chain and gears. That's why I used the PT85.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:30 
User

I tend to find a pressure too powerful for bicycle. I use a gentler hosing down if really mucky. Usually - it's a bucket of water, a bottle brush, a toothbrush, sponge, washing up brush and a chamois leather. I use a bike wash or even washing up liquid - and a water soluble degreaser I use the brushes to gently remove the mud from the awkward areas and then rinse and dry off with the chamois. I even use a bike polish to restore to pristine gleams too. :lol:

After this I lube it down - with a dry lubricant - even spray after ride in the rain - and nothing wrong with checking the grease on the bearings either. I spray up the brake levers, pivots, cantilevers, front mech, chains, sprockets, rear mech, jockey wheels and V-brake but you wipe off excess as it attracts dirt. :wink: You only need a light squirt and use judgement as to frequency for some parts.

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.