Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Deer Hazard
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 01:34 

Yeah, not having hedges right next to the edge of every road would help.

I have had a thought. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it's maybe worth thinking about.
How alike are the habits of rabbits and deer? I may have started to notice a correlation between number of rabbits and number of deer. That is, if there's lots of rabbits out there's more chance of deer being out too.

There might be nothing to it, but then again there might. Who knows. Worth keeping an eye open to see if there is any link?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 23:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Up north -Glencoe way ,have always associated deer problems with snow /bad weather higher up -seldom see rabbits in Glencoe , but this year the deer have been close to the road as recently as last week .Problem is that they're well blended in with the scenery at night .
Saying that - possibly they're getting bolder- march time -I came accross a young stag ,in broad daylight and mild sunshine in the middle of Arisaig village - and he wasn't too put out by cars /trucks etc -just midly enough spooked to be a problem .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:20 
Life Member
Life Member

Style="Reminiscing Old F*rt"

I remember the first time I did the Swedish Rally (the delightfully titled "KAK Rallyt") and being somewhat bemused at a drivers' briefing given to "foreign entrants", part of which involved being told of the dangers presented by Moose and my co-driver and me being issued with a wicked-looking knife so that we could despatch an injured one if we'd had the misfortune to hit one. They are apparently not the brightest of beasts and will still amble along tracks during the passage of noisy rally cars.

Having no experience of the animals we tended to think in terms of "Bambi"... Until we saw one! Looked like a horse wearing a hat-rack! I don't know why they told us how to kill an injured one - the likelyhood of the either member of the car's crew being in any condition to do anything other than expire messily would be remote if we'd actually hit one.

/Style

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 22:37 
Life Member
Life Member

SS has a resident Markku Alen, and Vladimir Ashkenazy!!!!

:clap:

Can we appoint pogo as the SafeSpeed Cultural Attache??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 22:39 
New User
New User

Funily enough since my accident i have been completely unable to watch bambi and cant watch it with anyone else in case i laugh when the mum dies!! im not cruel and dont wish things dead but it tried to kill me so i cant feel sorry for them any more :? :?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 15:21 
Life Member
Life Member

SigmaMotion wrote:
Can we appoint pogo as the SafeSpeed Cultural Attache??

You know the difference between me and a pot of live yoghurt?

Left to itself, the yoghurt has some chance of developing a culture.. :-)

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 21:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh Deer --

this is a small one - heard of one that flattened cab of landrover --but then steaks are nice - especially on bbq.(or in their native world brai)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 02:43 
Site Admin

Oh Deer - but - that is Greater Kudu !

The deer in Scotland are still around the roads at this time of year are the spring grass is rich in nutrients for the young that are born and the mountain foraging still in the grip of the cold from the winter. In another month then they will be mostly way up in the hills until fall when the rutting season starts.
There is no connection between rabbits and deer, other than the quality and quantity, and availability of the grass ... they rabbit populations have been building for the first time in about 15yrs after the last 'mixi' bout nearly wiped out the rabbit population ! I have never seen it so bad for them and it is good to see them finally start to recover poor things ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 23:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh deer - was only pointing out how much easier we have it in this country .Our deer only look like large shaggy alsations.+

Something I have noticed - in Glencoe a succession of hotdog/souvenair sales /etc vans have sprouted up .Some deer have become aware of this and have become aware of a "good thing "-so much so that some are regularly seen around these vans -are we for a spate of hamburger & onion flavered venison ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 21:13 
User

Normally prceeded by a wild life road sign......act of god as they say...buy a big rugged beast of a truck or live with it unless you are the unfortunate lady from cumbria :bunker: