Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Blind Spot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:46 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 02:17
Posts: 7354
Location: Highlands
Interesting & good to hear ... :) I wonder why she has never taken the plunge ?

Taking note of Rogers uttered phrases springs to mind words used for VHF Radio License (which I did yrs ago during my lifeguard years!).
All words are clearly different.
Looking and thinking of 'Halt' and 'All .... ' makes me think that if a driver hears 'both the 'A or Ha' that is remarkably similar.
(I appreciate that they are said with inflictions & in famarilar tones that you are very used to and so maybe very clear to you.)

But I think better words are around. We used NO or Stop as a reject and Clear for a positive. Done only when asked, but never stopped us looking ! We decided that No and Go were too close ....
Are there better ?

_________________
Safe Speed for Intelligent Road Safety through proper research, experience & guidance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blind Spot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 01:09 
Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 23:26
Posts: 9246
Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Interesting & good to hear ... :) I wonder why she has never taken the plunge ?




Claire - two things - local idiots( she feels that there's enough on road ) , and possibly the old adage - why keep a dog .........................

Think a lot of dependance has come about from my having to take Transit home over past nine years . On normar junctions -visibility is OK -,but take a "Y" junction - and you depend on the passenger judgement -you cannot see anything to the left - to car drivers - try driving with your rear ppassenger window blocked off , and depending on the info from your passenger .You even learn to aproach such junctions so that you can see both ways .( and a lot of car drivers cannot fathom out WHY)

_________________
lets bring sanity back to speed limits.
Drivers are like donkeys -they respond best to a carrot, not a stick .Road safety experts are like Asses - best kept covered up ,or sat on


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Blind Spot
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 05:30 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 02:17
Posts: 7354
Location: Highlands
botach wrote:
Claire - two things - local idiots( she feels that there's enough on road), and possibly the old adage - why keep a dog
Sounds like a need of confidence to me. :)
botach wrote:
Think a lot of dependance has come about from my having to take Transit home over past nine years . On normar junctions -visibility is OK -,but take a "Y" junction - and you depend on the passenger judgement -you cannot see anything to the left - to car drivers - try driving with your rear ppassenger window blocked off , and depending on the info from your passenger .You even learn to aproach such junctions so that you can see both ways .( and a lot of car drivers cannot fathom out WHY)
Oh I quite understand - drove a 3 ton lorry through London on a Sat pm and all over the London / Essex areas when we moved. (Our campervan has some restricted views of course.) Also hired vans for shows or the trailers & horseboxes too, which have their own specific driving peculiarities.
Observing fully is resolved through consideration and experience. However some people might need to be shown what the problems are and how to resolve them. Getting that view by getting 'square' (right angles) onto the road junction is often the best vision position.

_________________
Safe Speed for Intelligent Road Safety through proper research, experience & guidance.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.179s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]