Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spun-out car
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 20:04 
User

Not me, before anyone asks!

Was coming up the B4060 between Yate and Wickwar last night. Came around a bend to see a car stopped across the road...

Obviously had to brake pretty hard and take avoiding action but managed to avoid an impact by some margin.

When returning down the same section of road later I noticed twisty skid marks on the road, presumably from the car that was in the middle of the road. The skid marks suggested that the car had spun out of control shortly before I arrived.

Now, was the driver of that car drunk, falling asleep, did they overcook the bend or was there a mechanical problem on their car?

Magistrates rule #1: "Never let justice get in the way of a conviction."

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Spun-out car
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 21:04 
User

Squirrel wrote:
Now, was the driver of that car drunk, falling asleep, did they overcook the bend or was there a mechanical problem on their car?

any of the above.... although the latter two would be possible causes of the third.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 01:47 
Site Admin

Squirrel wrote:
Came around a bend to see a car stopped across the road...
Obviously had to brake pretty hard and take avoiding action but managed to avoid an impact by some margin.

:) See here that I have just written re you going around bends :)
Squirrel wrote:
When returning down the same section of road later I noticed twisty skid marks on the road, presumably from the car that was in the middle of the road. The skid marks suggested that the car had spun out of control shortly before I arrived.

Twisty doesn't really give anything like enough of an explanation really, but, might I assume that you are talking about the typical front car, and rear wheels do an 'X' type overlap of skid marks ? They would of course have been their earlier too and I can only assume that you simply didn't notice them.
if they are like this then we are likely to be talking about an oversteer but what type of car? it could be caused by mechanical fault, stone in tyre, blow out, grease on road, loss of control (for more reasons), and braked hard to avoid livestock / wildlife etc.
Can you go back and photo the corner approach, and the skid marks - with dry weather they will take longer to go .. plus are they 'light' marks or heavy rubber very ingrained into the tarmac.
Are there any tarmac surface changes, pot holes other road maintenance etc ?
Is there vision across the hedge ? Is the corner blind or see through etc ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 06:57 
Life Member
Life Member

The spin out could be a result of imballanced brakes, failing shock absorbers or the car was loaded with an unballanced load. IE 4 bags of gravel in the boot. It could also be brought on by a sharp overcorrection of a minor error ie speed or road position.

“It has never been the rule in this country – I hope it never will be - that suspected criminal offences must automatically be the subject of prosecution” He added that there should be a prosecution: “wherever it appears that the offence or the circumstances of its commission is or are of such a character that a prosecution in respect thereof is required in the public interest”
This approach has been endorsed by Attorney General ever since 1951. CPS Code

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 09:21 
Life Member
Life Member

Did you actually stop to enquire about the wellbeing of the occupants? Or were they not present?