It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Two killed in car crash
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:18 
Site Admin

David Trayner Kettering reporter wrote:
HERE Two killed in car
Published Date: 22 December 2009 By David Trayner Kettering reporter
A dog that ran out into the road is believed to have caused a crash which killed two people and left another seriously injured in hospital.
The deaths of the 46-year-old male driver and his 90-year-old female passenger bring the number of people killed on the county's roads this year to 36 – one more than last year.
A 45-year-old woman also travelling in the red Volvo is in Kettering General Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
The driver of a black Mazda, a 73-year-old man from Weldon, was taken to hospital with suspected chest injuries, after the accident at midday on Sunday, but a police spokesman said his condition is not serious.
Two children, a 14-year-old boy travelling in the Volvo and an 18-month-old boy travelling in the Mazda were treated for shock.

It is believed the car had skidded on the slippery surface, although a spokesman for Northamptonshire County Council said the road had been gritted about eight hours before the crash.
A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: "I spoke to people who had been up there and they said it was very slippery."
John Pizzey, 52, of Red House Farm, the nearest house to the crash, said: "For the amount of accident and emergency personnel up there it must have been serious."
Crew from the air ambulance treated the casualties before they were taken to hospital by ambulance.
The crash happened about 500m from a speed camera and about 300m after the speed limit on the road changes from 30mph to 60mph.
Mr Pizzey's daughter, Helen, 29, said: "As soon as people get past the speed cameras they will try to overtake.
"They try to overtake before they get into the village. As soon as they come out of the speeding trap area they put their foot down."
Mr Pizzey said: "I was clearing ice off my car this morning and they were still coming past the speed camera and overtaking."
The head of a nodding dog lying in the snow among broken shards of a windscreen marked the site of the crash yesterday.
The deaths are the first on the A43 between the Weekley roundabout and the Stanion roundabout since 2006.
Two people were seriously injured on the same stretch of road in 2007 and two more last year but there were only two slight injuries between January and October this year.
Anyone with information about the incident should call the Drivewatch Hotline on 0800 174615.

Road here and showing both towns (N to S ish) Here.
There are several interesting points in this.
Was the dog seen late due to keeping an eye on the camera ?
Were they just not paying attention or did the dog literally leap out and gave them no chance to react or be prepared ? We would have to get the accident report to help answer that one, but I doubt we can.
Were the cars travelling so close the second car had no time to react and just crashed into the one in front or did the car avoiding the dog crash into the oncoming one ?
Are the overtaking actions mentioned, (seemingly in pointless relationship to the accident) worse due to the camera location. If people are delaying what may otherwise have been good overtakes because of the camera presence is the implication that many overtaking accidents happen in this area, and they perhaps assumed it was 'another'.
I cannot see that the camera presence is doing anything to help people learn about how to overtake better what-so-ever, but if shortening a 'good' overtaking stretch maybe forcing people to overtake in less than ideal locations. So anyone know this road and care to comment?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 13:10 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

My money is on " did the car avoiding the dog crash into the oncoming one ? "

Has anyone asked how was that dog allowed into the road in the first place...

Yes it is a bit disingenuous to mention the speed camera within this article, but you do raise some possibly valid issues regarding it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 13:33 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I think I may have been on this stretch of road recently. Have some friends in Kettering. There are some long nsl stretches which are dead straight but quite busy. I'll see if looking on street view jogs my memory.

Sad fact is that if a dog runs in front of you just brake in a straight line and do not swerve. Had a dog do that to me but I was in a 30 limit bimbling just under 30 so I missed him even though I wasn't actively thinking about the dog. If it had been icy then I don't know what would have happened. No abs on that car and no fancy anything. Even braking in an nsl with a close follower is probably not a good idea. Saying that I'd probably still would stand on the brakes, if nothing else I don't want to have to pick bits of dog out of the front of the car :shock: