The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Island problems
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 00:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Opinions would be appreciated . Regularly we travel to out local store. In their infinite wisdom our local council have decided that entry to this store is from a DC. To access we have to travel down the DC ,and do a 360 round an island ( one with four exits). I enter island on right hand lane, indicating right , and continue round .At the last exit, I move across to the inner lane ,indicating left . Most times, traffic acknowledges , and this allows me to get into the left lane , to enter store lane . Speed ,at this time is low( 25/20) , I'm bleeding it off ,so as not to have to brake for the entry to the store . On occasions, vehicles decide to pull out and pass . But the problem is on the turnout - several times I've had some pratt trying to get inside of me on my path to the inside from the centre of the island . There's two problems - move over early ,and traffic ASSUMES that you're taking exit three -move late ,and some idiot ASSUMES that you're going down the outer lane , finding out too late that you mean what the indicator meant -you're taking the inner lane after going round the island -and had you not kept a close eye on the mirrors- there'd be a bang in the making .

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Island problems
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 06:29 

botach wrote:
There's two problems - move over early ,and traffic ASSUMES that you're taking exit three -move late ,and some idiot ASSUMES that you're going down the outer lane ,

Move over as you pass exit 3 should work every time. Not before, not after. The way you move over would allow a vehicle alongside you to exit at exit 3. This would be clear, unambiguous and prevent anyone ducking past.

Failing that find another route which approaches the roundabout from a different direction.

Post subject: Re: Island problems
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 22:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Homer wrote:
botach wrote:
There's two problems - move over early ,and traffic ASSUMES that you're taking exit three -move late ,and some idiot ASSUMES that you're going down the outer lane ,

Move over as you pass exit 3 should work every time. Not before, not after. The way you move over would allow a vehicle alongside you to exit at exit 3. This would be clear, unambiguous and prevent anyone ducking past.

Failing that find another route which approaches the roundabout from a different direction.

Vehicles exiting at exit 3 are seldom the problem , it's more those joining at 2 ( more often or not at a fairly high speed ,as they don't have the complete circle to cope with,bit my speed is usually circa25 in a 30 ) .I've tried variations from moving over early to late,( following the accepted spiral path ) with the same result . Strangely enough , twice in past year ,I've gone round in a larger vehicle ,with no problems . There are other routes ,which mean a large detour . Often wonder if it would happen if the ANPR ( marked/unmarked ) vehicles used this end of the DC ,but suspect that it's a bit close to base .