Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fit to be tied
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:14 
Supporter
Supporter

Since there was not tragic outcome this is quite amusing but I have learned a lesson.

Unbeknown to me my shoelace came undone as I was walking to the car. Equally unbeknown to me it became trapped in the car door. It did become known to me when I tied to brake for the junction at the bottom of the hill and couldn't move my foot sideways. Fortunately I was going slowly in a low gear and stopped on the handbrake.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Fit to be tied
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Now there’s a lesson to be learned; one of those acts of god which could have been so much worse of course.

Will you be wearing slip-ons in future? :wink: Glad you’re okay and I’m laughing with you. I bet your face was a picture :lol:

Add: Actually I had a brown trouser moment at the weekend myself Dave. In readiness to sell my house, at the time, I went out on my motorbike and bought a five litre tub of Matt Magnolia which is quite heavy and put it in the back of my motorcycle top box.

I was banked over going around an island when the paint suddenly shifted from the left where I had put it about four inches to the right. Image If you’re a biker you will certainly know what happened next..

Luckily I wasn’t trying to get the pegs down. I bet my face was a picture.. :lol:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 19:20 
User

DCB glad you are ok. Tones idea on slip ons may be a good one. :wink:

Big Tone wrote:
I was banked over going around an island when the paint suddenly shifted from the left where I had put it about four inches to the right. Image If you’re a biker you will certainly know what happened next..

Is the seat still attached to the bike? :yikes:

Big Tone wrote:
Luckily I wasn’t trying to get the pegs down. I bet my face was a picture.. :lol:

A bit of a kodak moment :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 19:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

theboxers wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

Is the seat still attached to the bike? :yikes:
Yes ta, just, but if the seat had ears it would have heard a parp or two :D

theboxers wrote:
A bit of a kodak moment :lol:
Not that I'm trying to compete with dcb for the funniest face but I think I would have won. :D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 22:22 

It pays to practice left foot braking from time to time.

That is assuming you have a left foot of course.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:rotfl:

Variation on Pete and Dudley sketch..

You have a very good right foot. As feet go it’s one of the best I’ve seen. I have absolutely nothing against your right foot.

Unfortunately, neither do you. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 02:00 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Big Tone wrote:
:rotfl:

Variation on Pete and Dudley sketch..

You have a very good right foot. As feet go it’s one of the best I’ve seen. I have absolutely nothing against your right foot.

I remember that. But why do I recall it as a Sellers moment? Or did he do something similar?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 08:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Roger wrote:
Quote:

I remember that. But why do I recall it as a Sellers moment? Or did he do something similar?
The king of satire Peter Cook wrote that sketch, when he was just 18 years old I believe and of course Dudley Moore was the man auditioning for the part of a one-legged Tarzan :D Brilliant stuff from two greats; sadly now gone.

Sellers didn't do anything like that; that I'm aware of Roger, but I wouldn't be surprised of someone has plagiarised it in some way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 20:20 
User

Big Tone wrote:

Never mind your pegs, you're lucky you didn't get your face down! :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 21:23 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I stand corrected. On both legs ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 09:09 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Since there was not tragic outcome this is quite amusing but I have learned a lesson.

Unbeknown to me my shoelace came undone as I was walking to the car. Equally unbeknown to me it became trapped in the car door. It did become known to me when I tied to brake for the junction at the bottom of the hill and couldn't move my foot sideways. Fortunately I was going slowly in a low gear and stopped on the handbrake.

Some years ago I had a similar experiance when the "Loop" in a bootlace (they were trainers actually) managed to get hooked round the brake pedel which prevented me from easily lifting my foot over the brake pedel from the gas pedel (IYSWIM)! Of course I just pulled hard and all was well, but I did find myself wondering why shoemakers sell footware with laces that ar invariably far too long. Also, I find it is almost impossible to get replacement laces the "Right length" the standard lengths always seem too long or too short! and trimming them to length rarely seems to work since they unravel (And yes, I have tried glue) :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 09:03 
Supporter
Supporter

Dusty wrote:
I did find myself wondering why shoemakers sell footware with laces that ar invariably far too long. Also, I find it is almost impossible to get replacement laces the "Right length" the standard lengths always seem too long or too short! and trimming them to length rarely seems to work since they unravel (And yes, I have tried glue) :(

I thought I was the only one who had that problem. I always seem to have yards of lace trailing around, especially with hiking boots. Even if you don't cut them the ferrule eventually falls of and the laces start to fray. Some laces will melt with a match to seal the ends. Putting a overhand knot at the end can be quite effective.

I have noticed that round laces come undone more often than flat tape laces, presumably because there is less contact area in the knot. I have considered replacing the laces with elastic to turn the shoes into slip-ons, but I can't fins a source for suitable elastic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 14:17 
User

Thread necromancy

Had this happen to me (twice) in about 1978.

Saturday morning (back then) I came arseholing down Bourges Boulevard on my KH250
Rode between the two lanes of stationary traffic and rode to the front of the queue.. Ying a ding ding
The crowd of pedestrians nervously looked at the young hoon pulling up to the lights as they crossed the road

Young hoon (me) goes to put left leg down only to find...... Long bow on pumps had wrapped itself round the gear lever

Cue sad face

CRAAAAAAAAASH. I was trapped underneath until a pedestrian lifted the bike off me

Did the same bloody thing the very next Saturday but with the other foot and rear brake lever

Yup.. Some of us Numpties just don't learn until the advent of pain & embarrassment becomes too great. Not to mention the cost of two indicator stems (Kwaka triples had real long indicator stems)

MyKwaka by The1DogzBollox, on Flickr