Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 15:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:10 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:22
Posts: 2618
Just thought I'd share about a mate of mine who has to be the world's biggest idiot!

Apparently he rode past an unmarked police car at silly o'clock in the morning at 120mph. I'm not sure exactly where he was, but it might have been NSL or it might have been a 40 limit. (Incidentally, I believe that its not entirely inapropriate to be doing that kind of speed on the road in question, but that's not really the point.)

He was pulled and given a producer. He produced his documents fine, but when the police checked his insurance it turned out that he'd defaulted on the payments and as a result it'd been cancelled! :o :oops:

SO, we've warned him not to drop the soap... :(

_________________
Science won over religion when they started installing lightning rods on churches.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 20:37 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 09:16
Posts: 3655
Sixy_the_red wrote:
SO, we've warned him not to drop the soap... :(


:o


This may come in handy then.... http://www.prisonbitchname.com/

_________________
Speed camera policy Kills


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 08:51 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:22
Posts: 2618
Apparently his name is

Tush Taster

:lol:

_________________
Science won over religion when they started installing lightning rods on churches.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:06 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 09:16
Posts: 3655
Mine's Glory Hole :shock:

_________________
Speed camera policy Kills


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 15:39 
Offline
User

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 17:17
Posts: 79
Ah you'll be alright with me then. Mine's Gummer :o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 15:45 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 09:16
Posts: 3655
covmike wrote:
Ah you'll be alright with me then. Mine's Gummer :o


have you got a perrrrdy mouth boy!

_________________
Speed camera policy Kills


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 15:56 
Offline
User

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 17:17
Posts: 79
weeell I do have hair around it :evil:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 16:15 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:22
Posts: 2618
Oh dear, mine's Golden Boy :o

_________________
Science won over religion when they started installing lightning rods on churches.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 01:07 
Offline
User

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 09:44
Posts: 516
Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
Liberace 8-)

_________________
"Are you sh**ing me?"
"John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 09:58 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 19:19
Posts: 1050
Going back to the beginning - I do think its difficult to say that 120 on a country NSL in the dark can be safe. Few bikes lights are good enough to see that far ahead. I find my speed drops by as much as 20mph when riding in the dark on a country road.

You just can't see where the road is going.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 13:21 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:22
Posts: 2618
DIY - I didn't make it clear. He was on a (probably) lit urban D/C (Great western Way, Blademan).

I do agree with you that your speed tends to drop in unlit areas though.

_________________
Science won over religion when they started installing lightning rods on churches.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 15:29 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 09:16
Posts: 3655
Sixy_the_red wrote:
I do agree with you that your speed tends to drop in unlit areas though.


Too much suicidal wildlife :lol:

_________________
Speed camera policy Kills


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 16:00 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:22
Posts: 2618
Gizmo wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:
I do agree with you that your speed tends to drop in unlit areas though.


Too much suicidal wildlife :lol:


Naa, most of that comes out just after dawn round here... :roll:

bloody deer....

_________________
Science won over religion when they started installing lightning rods on churches.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 00:18 
Offline
User

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 09:44
Posts: 516
Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
Sixy_the_red wrote:
(Great western Way, Blademan).

Bit slow for Great Western Way :D

_________________
"Are you sh**ing me?"
"John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 09:56 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:22
Posts: 2618
blademansw wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:
(Great western Way, Blademan).

Bit slow for Great Western Way :D


LMAO I dunno which bit though. I can only assume it was the long stretch down to J16.

_________________
Science won over religion when they started installing lightning rods on churches.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:08 
Offline
User

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 09:44
Posts: 516
Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
The long stretch to J16 between Mannington and Blagrove is a NSL DC anyway

_________________
"Are you sh**ing me?"
"John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:48 
Offline
User

Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 17:17
Posts: 79
diy wrote:
Going back to the beginning - I do think its difficult to say that 120 on a country NSL in the dark can be safe. Few bikes lights are good enough to see that far ahead. I find my speed drops by as much as 20mph when riding in the dark on a country road.

You just can't see where the road is going.


Bike lights can shine ahead just as far as any car lights. 12v 55w main beam is exactly the same a sa car. now if this was a topic 30 years ago, some bikes were still running 6v but even then, with a bit of jiggery pokery with the lens and my 1952 BSA has lights that perform just as well. The wattage of the bulbs is the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:21 
Offline
User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2005 08:22
Posts: 2618
blademansw wrote:
The long stretch to J16 between Mannington and Blagrove is a NSL DC anyway


Yeah, I know, but the rest of it's 40. I dunno which bit he was nicked on.

_________________
Science won over religion when they started installing lightning rods on churches.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:25 
Offline
User

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 09:44
Posts: 516
Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
Sixy_the_red wrote:
Yeah, I know, but the rest of it's 40. I dunno which bit he was nicked on.


Funnily enough, the whole thing was a NSL DC from Barnfield not that long ago. Then the speed limit mysteriously changed and the scams were down there coining it in.

_________________
"Are you sh**ing me?"
"John Spartan, you are fined one credit for a violation of the verbal morality statute."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:26 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 06:46
Posts: 16903
Location: Safe Speed
covmike wrote:
diy wrote:
Going back to the beginning - I do think its difficult to say that 120 on a country NSL in the dark can be safe. Few bikes lights are good enough to see that far ahead. I find my speed drops by as much as 20mph when riding in the dark on a country road.

You just can't see where the road is going.


Bike lights can shine ahead just as far as any car lights. 12v 55w main beam is exactly the same a sa car. now if this was a topic 30 years ago, some bikes were still running 6v but even then, with a bit of jiggery pokery with the lens and my 1952 BSA has lights that perform just as well. The wattage of the bulbs is the same.


120mph is about the general max for good (best?) car mainbeams - but many of the better car headlight systems have four lights illuminated to achieve this. Most motorbikes have just one headlight - that's a difference for you...

_________________
Paul Smith
Our scrap speed cameras petition got over 28,000 sigs
The Safe Speed campaign demands a return to intelligent road safety


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.345s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]