Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 23:03 
User

Not sure if anyone is interested, but every year in Brittany there is a unique motorcycle event in August which draws bikers from all over Europe.
The climax is a religous ceremony at a church in POCARRO and a parade through a large part of the local area.
There are some photographs in my online album here

Note the few bikers in fancy dress (team Barbie) and the vintage BMW combo with a toddler in!
Local people line the roadside to greet the bikers as they pass, and local police close the roads to non essential traffic for the duration, and ensure that the event is safe and enjoyable.

Should you wish to join in, and need times, let me know, and I'll try and find out more.

The later pictures in my album show French re-cycling in operation - and the AXIAM car which is not required to be registered, and is usually driven by those who have lost their licenses, or dont want to pass their test!
It sounds like a lawn mower when you encounter one!

The final picture taken in Rennes, shows French police operating a zero tolerance policy on some rather unsavoury characters.
They had been asked to move on from outside a shop where they had been begging, and when they attempted to repeat their misdemeanour in another location, the police arrived to move them on yet again.

Should you decide to join the event or travel at other times, take heed!
The municiple police are firm but fair in my experience, but watch out for the Gendarmes who have powers to impound your vehicle for lack of documents, drink driving or none payment of on the spot fines for a range of other offences.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 23:07 
User

I forgot to mention, the bikes in the pictures take between 40 and 50 minutes to pass by!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 00:28 

For anyone who wants to enjoy a scenic trip to Scotland next year but needs a flimsy excuse why not try the Glasgow Easter Egg Run to Yorkhill Children's Hospital? c. 10,000 bikes this year and it's still getting bigger! It'll only cost you a chocolate egg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBmpOcUlguI

Imagine that passing you for half an hour! You'll notice that we don't stop for red lights :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 13:54 
User

Yep, been these past 3 years, and as I live about 1.5 hrs away it's " just down the road ".
Last year an estimated 23.000 bikes, this year no figures yet, but the weather wasn't that brilliant so expect them to be lower.
Can't recommend it highly enough, the 15th August every year, well worth coming over for a few days, beautiful traffic free roads, it's a joy to be biking again after the horrendous traffic in UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 15:00 
User

Just down the road??

Good roads too! A smoother ride, few potholes if any, and excellent white lines!

Where are you then Fergie? My pictures were taken from my parents front garden!
La Motte, just outside Campeneac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 13:50 
User

Hi

Live in the Forest-de Coatloch, about 5 kms from the town of Scaer, which is about 30 mins N.E of Quimpere the capital of Finistre, dep 29
I almost gave up biking in the UK, but brought the old CB900 over, and believe me, it’s now a pleasure to ride again, almost traffic free roads, good surfaces, and friendly bikers. Getting pretty close to biking heaven, even bought myself a VFR750 for every day use.
If you’re this way, PM before, we can perhaps meet up some time.
Fergie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 00:09 
User

I am coming over in December, although I doubt I'll be venturing that far over!
Last year I had my car repaired in Ploermel.
Peugeot Kendal (UK) quote £750, Peugeot Ploermel price £238
Ferry fare £69 for car+2 and £150 for diesel (5 day trip).

I brought back 98 bottles of wine (some for a family friends funeral :oops: ) 16 litres of spirits and enough pate, cheese etc. to have a really good Christmas.
I did take out a seat from the 307 SW before I set off to save weight! :)

I wish I knew you were there earlier! A friend of my parents was selling this:
Unfortunately he had an amputated leg, and had to have more work on it which prevented him from riding this Laverda 750 he had restored.