Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 08:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: KSI facts on bikers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 14:42 
Gold Member
Gold Member

For anyone who doesn't know, (although I know do bang on about it a bit :oops: ), I work for the NHS in Rehab, and I'm also a biker :)

Well, it's coming up to that time of year again. Donor season seems to start earlier each year, if you know what I mean? :( :( :(

In the spring/summer months I often pop over to Abergavenny, a good biker venue at the weekend, and in the public toilets, about three years ago now, I first saw this. (I've spent this morning trying to find a free download to convert pdf into jpeg, but here it is at last)

As with most things like this, the people who should really take heed probably aren't here but even so, I think the information is really interesting and if only one 'passer-by' here sees it and looks at his/her riding it's been worth the effort.

I know many police can be anti-biker but I think this is all true and borne out of a genuine concern for bikers. Imagine what they have to scrape off the road each and every year or having to make that dreadful knock on the door to let loved ones know what's happened. I don't think even I could do that for very long :cry:

I was tempted to put it on the general forum just for all to understand what is happening out there, but I don't know. If a moderator feels it would be of wider interest then I'm sure they will do so :)

The figures are particulary interesting regarding the time I think, the season, the day of the week and the time of day :roll:

Don't think it's copyright but I'm sure they wouldn't mind. (I hope)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: KSI facts on bikers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 23:50 
User

I never agree with stats because they are nearly always manipulated in favour of the opinion of the publisher or user. having said that I do see increases in the number of bike crashes causing death and for that reason only I can understand others concerns for the safety of bikers. The big danger is biker groups visiting popular haunts, showing off and red mist are often a problem. There is a huge focus on bikers and their vulnerability can be tragic but everyone loses sight of the bigger picture when focussing on bikers. If we accept that bikes are only 1% of UK traffic and 26% of UK road deaths. This means that 99% of road users account for 74% of road deaths and of the 26% of bikers that die a significant number are not at fault but of the other 99% group, that same group are responsible( see how stats can be made to look). And I do hope no one starts using the FACT word when dealing with best guess or manipulated statistics. Its a sad truth about increased bike death but it does not justify a bias form of policing or legislation when little or nothing is done every year about the biggest killer and only luck, modern vehicles and safety features are the only factors preventing the 74% figure being 95.If there was even consideration on all road user groups perhaps there would be less us/them mentality out there which sometimes leads to one or two of these deaths.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 00:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cheers Herbie J and thanks for putting life back into this thread. ;)

I don't disagree with you but, as someone at the coal face, I personally know that even if the figures are manipulated somewhat - I can't manipulate my heart and what I see in my work :(

I really don't know what to do or say to help any more?

This weekend looks good :) Nice weather... Good biker weather. :D

But if the weather is as good as they say, someone on a motorbike will get killed again this weekend I have no doubt.

Someone's son or daughter, or husband or wife. A child will lose his or her dad or mum and the family will be thrown into???

Imagine it? :cry:

Don't just read it like something you saw on on a forum! Imagine it is something in your life?

I'm not talking statistics - these are real people!!!

I'm not doin' so well, but someone has to pick up the pieces I guess as indeed someone has to every day - while the rest of us just read about it...

Please take care folks and if you don't care much for your own life, maybe you should take some time out to think about what you mean to others?

Tone

(This is why I don't sleep at night)

Oh BTW, not "everyone loses sight of the bigger picture when focussing on bikers" :roll:

But we're cool I hope/I'm sure ;)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Last edited by Big Tone on Fri Jun 06, 2008 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 03:29 
User

Thanks Tone. I'll try to stay away from where you work :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 09:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Glad to hear it ;)

One of my nicknames at school was ghost.

I had very pale skin as a kid and jet black hair; so black it had a bluish sheen in fact.

I was very handsome :D apart from the stupid National Health specs I had to wear :( (Circa 1972 to 75)

No wonder I was picked on :x

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 00:38 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Cheers Herbie J and thanks for putting life back into this thread. ;)

I don't disagree with you but, as someone at the coal face, I personally know that even if the figures are manipulated somewhat - I can't manipulate my heart and what I see in my work :(

I really don't know what to do or say to help any more?

This weekend looks good :) Nice weather... Good biker weather. :D

But if the weather is as good as they say, someone on a motorbike will get killed again this weekend I have no doubt.

Someone's son or daughter, or husband or wife. A child will lose his or her dad or mum and the family will be thrown into???

Imagine it? :cry:

Don't just read it like something you saw on on a forum! Imagine it is something in your life?

I'm not talking statistics - these are real people!!!

I'm not doin' so well, but someone has to pick up the pieces I guess as indeed someone has to every day - while the rest of us just read about it...

Please take care folks and if you don't care much for your own life, maybe you should take some time out to think about what you mean to others?

Tone

(This is why I don't sleep at night)

Oh BTW, not "everyone loses sight of the bigger picture when focussing on bikers" :roll:

But we're cool I hope/I'm sure ;)

Bigtone...you have my best wishes and great admiration and great sympathy too your job isnt always rewarding. You do right by bringing up your point, I know its getting wild these days with bikers, I dont really know what the answer is to stop it all, I wish I did. Im now well into the 30 to 56 range just a few more yrs and I can go like the clappers lol. Seriously though, its very worrying, I made a point in another thread about it being safer blatting round the IOM on mad sunday than going on these group rides over here, sadly I meant it. I came across a group today ....patchy rain 5 of them adopting the 'random shuffle' group riding tactics, you know the one where they shuffle about for no reason suddenly and without warning, then after following a queue of cars through this town the two ahead chose to overtake, they actually waited for oncomming traffic to reach them before pulling out to pass, on cross hatching, at junctions,on bends...you know the stuff, I followed and when a clear gap appeared I overtook all 5 cars and caught them easily. Now what made them take those risks for zero advantage. When you can get that answer from bikers you will have the answer to all probs. Another e.g. I was driving my car home, I live in the country, very narrow roads with blind bends, low and behold a bikers comes round the bend in middle of road cranked over (a road that is just over the width of average car) followed closely by his pal in same position ( by now I'd already pulled into grass verge and bush to avoid) Now what goes through the mind of those two that makes them go round a blind bend just wide enough for a car at speeds they cannot take evasive action or stop? Answer` that and you have the answer to bike safety. I think is a disease that affects people from all walks of life.....some people just know not to go round that blind bend in the middle of the road,others just dont! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 08:57 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Herbie, and for your kind words.

As predicted...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staf ... 455338.stm (Just 25 years old. The same as my daughter.) :(

http://www.scarborougheveningnews.co.uk ... 4139755.jp (Younger still.) :(

I'm sure there are many more but I won't look too deeply :(

I think the first link may actually be from a week or so before, in which case it's the accident me and my friend witnessed the aftermath of. It wasn't a pretty sight I can tell you. I usually see the ones whom make it through afterwards in rehab serving a life sentance, along with their family and friends.