Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 20:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 22:39 
Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 14:26
Posts: 4364
Location: Hampshire/Wiltshire Border
Your dissatisfaction with the answers given lies in your question.

There does not have to be a "point" in the availability of sports motorcycles other than they are made because people want to buy them - and do. It's personal choice. There doesn't have to be a "point".

_________________
Malcolm W.
The views expressed in this post are personal opinions and do not represent the views of Safespeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 19:34 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 15:50
Posts: 249
malcolmw wrote:
Your dissatisfaction with the answers given lies in your question.

There does not have to be a "point" in the availability of sports motorcycles other than they are made because people want to buy them - and do. It's personal choice. There doesn't have to be a "point".


Then the point is 'Personal choice' isnt it? :roll: If so thats fine and I wouldnt challenge that at all. When we delve into the perfomance capability of the machines in question and their values pos or neg when used on a public highway ,that point seems much harder to justify, but personal choice will do me if thats all their is to offer.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 17:22 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 19:19
Posts: 1050
So personal choice and the fact that they are faster, lighter, more powerful, better designed, ... ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 23:51 
Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member

Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 23:26
Posts: 9246
Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Simple - as said -personal choice .

Somone could buy a low powered car -lets go back to the Ford Sierra days ,when engines started at 1300 .Someone else wanted a 4x4 -so they bought the 4x4 2.9 version .

Someone else has posted elsewhere that they paid a lot of £££ for vsome sort of bike - that's personal choice .

_________________
lets bring sanity back to speed limits.
Drivers are like donkeys -they respond best to a carrot, not a stick .Road safety experts are like Asses - best kept covered up ,or sat on


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 21:21 
Offline
Gold Member
Gold Member

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 14:47
Posts: 1659
Location: A Dark Desert Highway
It as been said on this thread already I think about the vast amount of R&D that sports bikes receive, imagine the calibre of bike you would get if that amount of effort was put into a road bike for the road. People would probably just buy the latest litre sports bike though :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 15:41 
Offline
User

Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 19:04
Posts: 55
A lot of sports bike owners do track days or ride on the German autobahns and ride the Nuremberg ring some do the roads of the alps pushing the over the top brakes and suspension and may well use all the extra performance not required for the commute to work or a trip t the seaside just remember europe is just a few hours away on a sports bike.

And the other reason is nothing feels as good as 0-100 in sub six seconds :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 17:02 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 15:50
Posts: 249
steve_k wrote:
A lot of sports bike owners do track days or ride on the German autobahns and ride the Nuremberg ring some do the roads of the alps pushing the over the top brakes and suspension and may well use all the extra performance not required for the commute to work or a trip t the seaside just remember europe is just a few hours away on a sports bike.

And the other reason is nothing feels as good as 0-100 in sub six seconds :)


Im pleased you mentioned track days and the like, I witnessed one first hand recently and nothing has changed over the years that Ive done them,70% of the field were not riding any quicker on top of the range sports bikes than others on what you might call less capable machinery, they would often be seen using the acceleration on the straits but holding others up on the bends because they were inexperienced or simply chose to go slowly round corners. Not really using the bikes potential and simply benefitting from an easy ride so there isnt much evidence there to justify such a bike on the road other than, personal choice, the 'easy ride' aspect and such things as trend/fashion and image.Most sports bike riders will always tell you how good their bike is in performance and in its ease of ride, yet most (not all I might add) have never and will never experience performance riding and the performance capabilities they proudly boast, but they will rarely say I bought one because they are easy to ride,I have the cash and its trendy. So if the performance capability of such a bike isnt even explored by the majority on the track what is the point on the road other than the reasons Ive outlined?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 19:36 
Offline
User

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 16:04
Posts: 816
I've read both the threads you've started now and I must ask why you started two threads on the same topic?

The other thing I have noticed is that you are upset with sports bikes because, even though you say you don't want one, deep down you really do so that you will be able to sow up these amateurs at track days because finally you won't be ragging your bike in the corners just to have them blast past you on the straight.

Your question hasbeen answered but you don't like the reply.

It is down to personal choice. S&M is risky in my eyes but I don't seek to question why someone would want to practice it and neither would I want it banned.

_________________
Prepare to be Judged


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 20:54 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 15:50
Posts: 249
R1Nut wrote:
I've read both the threads you've started now and I must ask why you started two threads on the same topic?

The other thing I have noticed is that you are upset with sports bikes because, even though you say you don't want one, deep down you really do so that you will be able to sow up these amateurs at track days because finally you won't be ragging your bike in the corners just to have them blast past you on the straight.

Your question hasbeen answered but you don't like the reply.

It is down to personal choice. S&M is risky in my eyes but I don't seek to question why someone would want to practice it and neither would I want it banned.

Quote:


They are two different questions, one relates to the design of agressive looking bikes and their performance which in itself is advertised as agressive and the fact that they are beyond the capabilities of even some seasoned riders when ridden on the road and linked to the born again and overall fatality stats..........................completely different to the question 'what is the point' which relates to all sports bikes on the road.

I like the fact that you think yourself something of a psychologist as you tell me Im upset! :roll: Im not as clever as you as I cannot read the mental attitude of a total stranger on a webpage.You should read more as you would see that not only do I like sports bikes, Ive owned many over the years. You also say my question has been answered but I dont like the reply.......I dont think this web site is run from the school playground? :roll: And your ref to S&M......I have not said I want to ban anything. How can someone get so many things WRONG and then presume to dictate what I think and what mental state Im in on the subject? Tell me,do you want a fight with everyone you meet who poses a question or comment about sports bikes that you neither understand or assume is a condemnation of your favoured toy? And stop trying to psycho analyse me further as you are already way out.

It is a question for comment and debate, what I think is what I think ,based on something tangeable, I have already agreed with personal choice and ease of ride amongst others as 'The Point!' I have also debated some of the reasoning of others. If someone offered me a swap my current road bike for a brand new ZX10 for example , I would jump at it, but it doesnt have the slightest effect on my reasoning regarding the posted questions.I just dont think people have capacity to understand things sometimes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:59 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 19:19
Posts: 1050
Herbie J wrote:
Im pleased you mentioned track days and the like, I witnessed one first hand recently and nothing has changed over the years that Ive done them,70% of the field were not riding any quicker on top of the range sports bikes than others on what you might call less capable machinery, they would often be seen using the acceleration on the straits but holding others up on the bends because they were inexperienced or simply chose to go slowly round corners. Not really using the bikes potential and simply benefitting from an easy ride so there isnt much evidence there to justify such a bike on the road other than, personal choice, the 'easy ride' aspect and such things as trend/fashion and image.?


Right, but I suspect they were riding quicker/better than they would be on a bike with less capability - although I think we'd need to define that. I can accept that a novice could ride a GSXR600 faster than a GSXR1000 (on non power track), because it would encourage them to use the weight and lower power for greater advantage. But I would challenge that a novice would get more out of say GSXF650 than a GSXR600 or a VFR and a CBR etc. So this does justify the sports bike..

i.e. the bike compensates for their lack of skill on the track.

Interestingly, while there is a well defined group of people/power rangers who buy sports bikes because of the macho power image, there are also a group who buy avg. bikes and rag the nuts of them to prove just how much better a rider they are. Who is going to get more attention - the quick rider on the GSXR1000, or the quick rider on the bandit.

its just a different kind of attention seeking ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 20:35 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 15:50
Posts: 249
diy wrote:
Herbie J wrote:
Im pleased you mentioned track days and the like, I witnessed one first hand recently and nothing has changed over the years that Ive done them,70% of the field were not riding any quicker on top of the range sports bikes than others on what you might call less capable machinery, they would often be seen using the acceleration on the straits but holding others up on the bends because they were inexperienced or simply chose to go slowly round corners. Not really using the bikes potential and simply benefitting from an easy ride so there isnt much evidence there to justify such a bike on the road other than, personal choice, the 'easy ride' aspect and such things as trend/fashion and image.?


Right, but I suspect they were riding quicker/better than they would be on a bike with less capability - although I think we'd need to define that. I can accept that a novice could ride a GSXR600 faster than a GSXR1000 (on non power track), because it would encourage them to use the weight and lower power for greater advantage. But I would challenge that a novice would get more out of say GSXF650 than a GSXR600 or a VFR and a CBR etc. So this does justify the sports bike..

i.e. the bike compensates for their lack of skill on the track.

Interestingly, while there is a well defined group of people/power rangers who buy sports bikes because of the macho power image, there are also a group who buy avg. bikes and rag the nuts of them to prove just how much better a rider they are. Who is going to get more attention - the quick rider on the GSXR1000, or the quick rider on the bandit.

its just a different kind of attention seeking ;)

Quote:

I think you have some great points there and much of it maybe true, but I think you may be asking a lot for the average rider to understand what you have just said even though they may think they do. :roll: err did I put that right ? :D Those are more logical and justifiable reasons Ive read though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 23:43 
Offline
User

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 00:12
Posts: 22
Hmmmm .... I think actually there is a fundamental problem with the question .. for different people the point may be completely different, so askimg what "the" point is seems a bit ummm .... pointless :D. Some ppl might buy one simply cos the next door neighbour has last years model and they just have to go one better ... racing teams buy em to go racing with top notch riders ... and many other motivations in between.

I own an elderly ducati, logically it is a terrible device ... it vibrates, is jerky at low rpm, the clutch is heavy and makes my wrist hurt in town, the steering lock is seriously restricted .. etc. etc. ... but y'know what ..I love it, every ride puts a great big smile on my face, it's truly wonderful... if you wanted to buy it off me you'd have to offer waaaay over the odds .. and I'd only go buy another one the same and spend whats left over on petrol. Logically I'd be much better off with a nice new smooth jap 600 with ABS and all the gizmos .. but I don't want one thanks all the same. Not logical. Mr Spock would no doubt disapprove. The point of having it is "my" point .. nobody elses.

Yup it seems likely that not many people have the skills to use a modern 1000cc sports bike on or even off the public highway to anything like full effect, but whatever the motivation to get one is, it's their point and nobody elses, and its really no business of mine what their particular point is.

Personally, if it ever comes to the stage where I've got to justify everything I do with logic ... I'm gonna find somewhere very high and jump off :angel:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:40 
Offline
User

Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 15:50
Posts: 249
Rumbly wrote:
Hmmmm .... I think actually there is a fundamental problem with the question .. for different people the point may be completely different, so askimg what "the" point is seems a bit ummm .... pointless :D. Some ppl might buy one simply cos the next door neighbour has last years model and they just have to go one better ... racing teams buy em to go racing with top notch riders ... and many other motivations in between.

I own an elderly ducati, logically it is a terrible device ... it vibrates, is jerky at low rpm, the clutch is heavy and makes my wrist hurt in town, the steering lock is seriously restricted .. etc. etc. ... but y'know what ..I love it, every ride puts a great big smile on my face, it's truly wonderful... if you wanted to buy it off me you'd have to offer waaaay over the odds .. and I'd only go buy another one the same and spend whats left over on petrol. Logically I'd be much better off with a nice new smooth jap 600 with ABS and all the gizmos .. but I don't want one thanks all the same. Not logical. Mr Spock would no doubt disapprove. The point of having it is "my" point .. nobody elses.

Yup it seems likely that not many people have the skills to use a modern 1000cc sports bike on or even off the public highway to anything like full effect, but whatever the motivation to get one is, it's their point and nobody elses, and its really no business of mine what their particular point is.

Personally, if it ever comes to the stage where I've got to justify everything I do with logic ... I'm gonna find somewhere very high and jump off :angel:


Then you have just indicated the point as personal choice :roll: If you dont wish to justify or qualify your comments , what actually brings you to a web site that is riddled with debate/information/questions and occasionally answers? Perhaps you should just jump :bounce1:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 20:26 
Offline
New User
New User

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 20:04
Posts: 4
I have read this post and answers, we are all different I am in my late 50,s and passed my bike test in '66, I have ridden a large amount of different bikes over the years, I owned a c1 zzr1100 from 1990 to 1996, was that a fast bike. I now ride a R6 I have had this bike for 5 years because there is nothing else I want to ride, R1 possibly but I can't afford the upkeep. Looking at a Buell because its different and my backs shot.
What is the point of a sports bike? its fun for me. It goes round corners on a twisty A road at 60 mph better than most bikes, it stops very quickly, it accelerates very well, yes there may be slower bikes you can get your kicks on but they don't do it for me.
If you are on a good A road with a 60mph limit with lots of twists then that is the point of a sports bike, no other reason.
Just an after thought, What is a sports bike? 150bhp+ naked roadster,a BMW 1300 r? A Buell 1200 Lightening?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 20:37 
Offline
New User
New User

Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 20:04
Posts: 4
When anybody asks what is the point of ? I refer to Hitler what is the point of jews? I see Stalin, I see any little dictator you can mention.
When anybody asks what is the point they are all about control, why does a dog lick its bum, because it can, What is the point of sports bikes, Lous Elise, Porsche 911 turbo, Varion, Noble, or any other high powered motor vehicle, because they are there and they are all about FUN, so lets stop bothering about "the point of "and just keep going out and enjoying while we can before "the point of" people stop us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 18:32 
Offline
User

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 16:52
Posts: 290
Folks,

A guy is currently selling his sportsbike on ebay because he has been banned for 18 months for doing 60mph. He lived on the island of Guernsey where the NSL is 30mph!

That's like owning a legal hunting rifle in Slough.

At least he got to wash and polish it for a while. :(

C.

_________________
More rules and regulations please! (Not)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 18:37 
Offline
User

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 16:52
Posts: 290
fieldarcher wrote:
I have read this post and answers, we are all different I am in my late 50,s and passed my bike test in '66, I have ridden a large amount of different bikes over the years, I owned a c1 zzr1100 from 1990 to 1996, was that a fast bike. I now ride a R6 I have had this bike for 5 years because there is nothing else I want to ride, R1 possibly but I can't afford the upkeep. Looking at a Buell because its different and my backs shot.
What is the point of a sports bike? its fun for me. It goes round corners on a twisty A road at 60 mph better than most bikes, it stops very quickly, it accelerates very well, yes there may be slower bikes you can get your kicks on but they don't do it for me.
If you are on a good A road with a 60mph limit with lots of twists then that is the point of a sports bike, no other reason.
Just an after thought, What is a sports bike? 150bhp+ naked roadster,a BMW 1300 r? A Buell 1200 Lightening?


Fieldarcher,

Same here. I got my bike test in 1968 and had a good riding history. Recently went back on a Suzuki GXSR 750 after a spell in hospital and the realisation that I could be dead soon.

Best thing I ever did. Twisty back roads are my home these days. :)

C.

_________________
More rules and regulations please! (Not)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 18:38 
Offline
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:16
Posts: 7986
Location: Moved to London
Cooler wrote:
A guy is currently selling his sportsbike on ebay because he has been banned for 18 months for doing 60mph. He lived on the island of Guernsey where the NSL is 30mph!

That's like owning a legal hunting rifle in Slough.

You don't need a sports bike to exceed 30mph (let alone do 60mph)

_________________
Views expressed are personal opinions and are not necessarily shared by the Safe Speed campaign


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 18:41 
Offline
User

Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 16:52
Posts: 290
Steve wrote:
Cooler wrote:
A guy is currently selling his sportsbike on ebay because he has been banned for 18 months for doing 60mph. He lived on the island of Guernsey where the NSL is 30mph!

That's like owning a legal hunting rifle in Slough.

You don't need a sports bike to exceed 30mph (let alone do 60mph)


Steve,

Can't argue with that. :) I can get past 30mph on my mountain bike.

C.

_________________
More rules and regulations please! (Not)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 15:22 
Offline
User

Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 00:42
Posts: 310
Location: North West England
I've recently done my usual early Sunday morning Peak District run on my TDM and my recently rebuilt XS650. And honestly I enjoyed the XS more simply because of the blanket 50mph limit across the area. Goodness know how frustrating it would be on a sportbike. Probably 'very' given the speed I was jumped by a pair of sports bikes - in the 40 limit entering Buxton...and I wasn't doing 40mph :D

Barkstar

_________________
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has limits.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.221s | 11 Queries | GZIP : Off ]