Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Filtering
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 09:44 

I passed my A2 test on 30/09/08 at the first attempt. I got 5 minor faults.

So now I am gaining confidence and can do what many of the other motorcyclists do - filtering.

I'm very careful about this - I only do this if the traffic is stopped - typically at a red light.

So now I'm wondering - what is the official view of this practice? The waiting traffic doesn't seem to mind, but what's the official view of a MC riding slowly between two lanes of traffic to get to the front?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Filtering
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Filtering is perfectly legal, but needs to be done with some care, especially since a particularly dim-witted precedent dictates that the biker is going to share fault for any accidents whilst filtering, regardless of actual blame. The guidance I was given is not to filter if traffic is moving at more than 40mph.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 17:25 
User

Having passed my test last year I was keen to use this technique. However my choice of of ride semi prevents me from doing it a lot of the time (BMW R1200GS with panniers).

I am learning to go through narrower gaps. But with the rear currently a lot wider than the bars I can be seen as hesitant sometimes. I usually only filter in stopped or very slow traffic in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear. Which around London is usually enough to get you from A to B in around the time it would take in the car with no traffic. It keeps me moving which is, to be honest, all I want.

It is, as has been said, totally legal. I believe the blame for any collision is now 50/50 (from a court case a couple of years ago), previously it had been 80 bike / 20 car.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 17:53 

RobinXe wrote:
The guidance I was given is not to filter if traffic is moving at more than 40mph.

At that speed, isn't it known as "lane splitting"? I think that's an American term. Lane splitting has been banned in some US states.

Boxers - do you find gears to be a hindrance in London?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 20:28 
User

Done it for all my riding life - almost 20 years now without problem. I tend to keep my speed down - just a few mph more than moving traffic.

Has anyone ever done the Paris Peripherique? :shock: :shock: :shock: Even more scary when in a car. Parisian Bikers are complete loons! They come up behind so thick and fast that one has to use a certain amount of intuition as to which side of the car the next one will come down. The closest thing to a video game that I have ever seen!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 22:02 
User

DieselMoment wrote:
RobinXe wrote:
The guidance I was given is not to filter if traffic is moving at more than 40mph.

At that speed, isn't it known as "lane splitting"? I think that's an American term. Lane splitting has been banned in some US states.

I believe it is legal in very few states. California being one.

DieselMoment wrote:
Boxers - do you find gears to be a hindrance in London?

Getting into 3rd or higher is an achievement in rush hour :evil: But yes I did look at the Aprillia Mana as a commuter bike when announced. However a lot of my journeys also involve motorway riding so I will stick with the GS :D . I have done just shy of 11k miles on my bike since sept last year, mostly business so a geared bike is not a hinderance. The car rarely gets used now :loco:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 08:18 

I wrote this some years ago. its a good place to start. but does need updating since some of the case law has improved..
http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/filtering.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 13:11 

diy wrote:
I wrote this some years ago. its a good place to start. but does need updating since some of the case law has improved..
http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/filtering.html

Very good and useful article, DIY. Thanks.

I think I'm OK with the filtering I've been doing. I've been erring on the side of caution, and will do so in future as I gain riding experience.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 17:25 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My bikes natural habitat is busy urban raods and it's nice a narrow, but has little power, but I can sythe through traffic lke a hot knife through butter 8-) . But I really have to be in the "zone" for filtering. Unless I can imagine my self looking like a Boarder Collie eyeing up sheep I don't bother. Having said that, I didn't buy a bike to sit in queues :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:15 
User

When the traffic is down to 20mph on motorways and DCs. Most drivers will make a little room - if you can give them a thumbs up, then they do it again. A few deliberately cut you off but as the lanes rarely move at the same rate you'll soon be passed. I'm pretty cautious and my filtering is alway done from gap to gap, though it might look seamless if you followed me. I'm always aiming for a place where it would be safe to tuck in. There's a real buzz to getting through a few miles of tail back but you do need your whits about you. In stand traffic on the M1 this year I was half way down a coach when the door slid open and the driver stepped out - without looking naturally. Luckily I'd seen the door even though they only pop out a few inches

Town traffic is different, roads are narrower and traffic often more aggressive and there are traffic islands to catch you out. I will only filter between standing traffic and never pile to the front of the lights assuming they'll be somewhere to safely stop. If I can't see a space I don't go. Try to avoid being caught at the side of a bus or big wagon unless you can get completely into the next lane. And if you get jumped by another bike or scooter don't be temped to follow them. For starters two bikes need twice the space and there may be only space for one, the first one, and the one in front may be much smarter or much dumber than you - in either case you could get hurt. And be very very careful going down the outside of a queue to watch for those turning right (if the traffic is flowing) and doing a U-turn (if it's been stood more than a few moments), They will not look!

Let's be careful out there people

Barkstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 01:19 
New User
New User

I have, and always will filter through both stationary & moving traffic.

I had an incident recently in which a transit driver nearly pinned me into the side of a lorry when he decided to change his lane position and couldn't see my lid through his passenger window/mirror (because he didn't look). This resulted in minor injury which was lucky and only minor cosmetic damage to the bike (which was lucky as the driver came out of the checks by police as uninsured.

Until this happened I would go between lorries & vans without a moments hesitation but it taught me a valuable lesson. It is well worth waiting a couple of seconds before going through to ascertain what kind of a driver they are. If they do close up just think, I could have been in between them. It's a scary place to be, between a lorries tires and a van.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Welcome letters-and-numbers! :P

Good point, well made! It is essential that, as more vulnerable road users, we always assume that those around us are about to do the stupidest thing we can imagine, and prepare for it. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:11 
New User
New User

That'll be 2007 Kawasaki ZX6R - my baby :D

Oh and R&G crash bobbins saved her on that occasion, best bit of money you can spend on a bike including exhausts etc...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 17:19 
User

As I've said before on another post:

Have your headlight on main beam and "swerve" by rocking the bike side to side while filtering. This ensures that your headlight "flashes" in side mirrors making you more noticeable when some twat decides they are going to change lanes.

Assuming they know what a side mirror is and use them of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 17:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

R1Nut wrote:
when some twat decides they are going to change lanes.

Why are they a twat for changing lanes?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 16:08 
User

Sorry, I forgot to qualify that with "without looking or indicating" :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 18:18 

If you filter with your main beam on don't be surprised that people crash in to you because they cannot properly judge your speed and distance. Secondly filtering between a van and lorry - I think I'd only do this if they were both stopped. Its very high risk passing between two large vehicles for the very reason described.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 04:17 
Site Admin

:welcome: 07_ZX6-R
Now when I am riding I have yet to master this skill really but when driving I try to ensure that I leave good gaps in front in case a bike may need it as a stop moment location and to mys side/s. But what else can the car driver do to help apart from be observant and keep good space appropriately ?
I have indicated when appropriate but rare.

I love the idea of 'swaying' to create light attention. :) I have sometimes wondered about the over balance from some riders when it looks extreme but I know that it doesn't feel that bad when riding. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 23:20 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
I have sometimes wondered about the over balance from some riders when it looks extreme but I know that it doesn't feel that bad when riding. :)

Think of it like pedalling hard up a steep hill ....

without all the effort :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 16:39 
User

R1Nut wrote:
As I've said before on another post:

Have your headlight on main beam and "swerve" by rocking the bike side to side while filtering. This ensures that your headlight "flashes" in side mirrors making you more noticeable when some twat decides they are going to change lanes.

Assuming they know what a side mirror is and use them of course.
:?

.....And this is the quickest way to get yourself knocked off that I can think of. :shock: :shock: :shock:

As someone has already pointed out, using main beam will dazzle car drivers so they cannot see where you really are and are thus more liable to swerve or brake heavily causing an unwanted bike/car interface. Also, if you don't get knocked off, having an eyeful of main beam will only irritate then to the extent of causing them to intentionally block you as you try to get past. it's a selfish and inconsiderate thing to do, as well as being dangerous.

As for "rocking" to make the headlight "flash".....words fail me. You CANNOT rock the bike without causing it to turn. You will thus be describing a snaking trajectory and the bike will always be turning. As you may (or may not...but you will soon find out - hopefully not the hard way) know, when the bike is turning, there is less grip on the road surface and the tyres will lose traction (skid) through braking or accellerating at a much lower speed than when the bike is travelling in a straight line. And when are you most likely to brake heavily? Yes, that's right - when you are filtering - because some (possibly blinded by main beam?) car driver has not seen you and has turned into your path! Doh! Losing control when you're between two lanes of traffic isn't funny - especially when it's LGV type stuff.

It sounds as if you'd be better off with a bloke with a red flag walking in front of you!

And before you ask, yes, I have been riding motorcycles and driving cars for over 30 years and am still an active motorcyclist (and am still alive, for that matter)!

(PS. the best way of learning how to ride a bike is to go out and actually do it, not just read about it on the internet and in the mags!) :bunker: