Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 02:49 
Site Admin

BBC News with videos :
BBC News wrote:
A speeding motorcyclist has been fined £1,000 with £1,000 costs after being convicted of dangerous driving.
29 February 2012 Last updated at 12:57
Police arrested Peter Clarke after measuring his speed at 156mph on the A1M. Clarke, 44, of Spalding in Lincolnshire, was also banned for 18 months.

Also :
BBC News wrote:
Biker caught doing 156mph on A1M in Cambridgeshire fined
29 February 2012 Last updated at 13:47

Police arrested Peter Clarke after measuring his speed at 156mph on the A1M
A speeding Lincolnshire motorcyclist has been given an 18-month ban and ordered to pay £2,000 after being convicted of dangerous driving.
Police observed Peter Clarke, 44, from Spalding, travelling at 156mph on the A1M in Cambridgeshire last year.
Clarke said in his defence at Peterborough Crown Court he was in total control of his motorcycle at all times and that it was built for speed.
Miss Recorder McAllister said it was "reckless driving threatening others".
She said he had shown a total disregard for the safety of others on a known section of hazardous road.
The prosecution said passing other vehicles on the inside (undertaking) twice and failing to observe the police motorcycle while travelling at excessive speeds amounted to dangerous driving.
The police rider followed Clarke for eight minutes on the north-bound A1M between Alconbury and Sawtry at the very high speeds on 12 May 2011.
Clarke maintained that he was an experienced rider and that speed did not constitute dangerous driving.
The court disagreed and he was fined, banned and ordered to pay costs.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 06:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
...passing other vehicles on the inside (undertaking) twice and failing to observe the police motorcycle...

For an "experienced rider" he showed almost suicidal intent and an amazing lack of observational skills.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:19 
Site Admin

Perhaps only 'experienced' by years than safe ability!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 20:31 
Gold Member
Gold Member

BBC News wrote:
The police rider followed Clarke for eight minutes on the north-bound A1M between Alconbury and Sawtry at the very high speeds on 12 May 2011.
Well I’m thinking it here even if no-one else is, so I guess it’s my turn to speak out. :whome:

So the police officer’s riding wasn’t dangerous as well and helped make the situation safer did it? Irony or what!

Sorry, but whenever I hear of these situations I can’t help compare it to a father beating seven shades of s**t out of his son for his son's fighting at school. Or the PC saying "I had to get up to 180 mph to catch you - you maniac!"

I’ll take the 5th amendment on what else I think :roll: or whatever the equivalent is in the UK.

:idea: Maybe it's a case of using a thief to catch a thief? Ah, I think I understand after all...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 22:41 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Not sure about the claimed 156. When the police rider was doing the 156, he was clearly catching the offending rider.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 22:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve wrote:
Not sure about the claimed 156. When the police rider was doing the 156, he was clearly catching the offending rider.
Using his innocuous cloaking mechanism no doubt :wink:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 01:59 
Site Admin

Whilst it does bother me that when someone does something as 'bad' as the alleged perpetrator, they can make decisions to 'give chase' or not depending upon the environment, circumstances, 'crime committed' (so far known about), danger to society, ability of police rider or driver and how the person reacts to the request to stop.
The police training does clearly help when they are familiar through training with high speed pursuit, whereas often the rider/driver of the target vehicle is less likely to have that training. Also not allowing adrenaline to get to you takes experience and a calm, controlled ability.
The police do meet those that are capable of high speeds but when they 'allow them to proceed', it clearly never reaches the press and so society, just to those who they tell directly.

The rider was travelling quickly ... and undertaking too, in this pretty busy environment is very bad, bad practice, and they were absolutely right to give him a tug.
I too think it wrong that they claim speeds which only appear to be based on the 'catch-up' rate, when they are unlikely to be the actual speed of the target vehicle, until they catch up of course. Either they have the 'alleged' speed of the target vehicle or not and for any prosecution they must. I sometimes get the (concerned) feeling that the catchup speed is portrayed as a form of 'achievement'! Why did they react so late?
With very high speeds why not call in the helio that must be the safer option.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Does anyone know the KSI figures and true costs involving these chases? (I know It's considerable).

I guess the pro speed camera, slower is better, proponents regards this as a price worth paying, so long as its not a humble member of the public speeding.

It still somehow feels hypocritical to me. If speeds kills is such a truism and absolute, it should hold true across the board IMHO.