Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 23:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 19:27 
Site Admin

249mph grandad sets motorbike speed record
By JOHN COLES - Published: 19th May 2012
BRAVE Mike Grainger broke a European speed record by hitting 249.1mph on a motorbike — aged 61.

Grandad Mike averaged 229mph on two quarter-mile runs at a speed trial. He reclaimed the record he had held for two years until 1998.

He said: “Now I’m waiting for someone, somewhere, to go out on their motorbike and break my record so I can beat it again.
“I don’t see any point in breaking my own record.
“I’m already the fastest granddad in Europe. Someone will have a go at it — if they do, I’ll have to do it again before I get too old.”

Fearless Mike, who runs his own motorbike business, made his record attempt on a modified Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa at Elvington airstrip, North Yorks.

He reckons that he spent around £25,000 on his customised bike, including bolting on a huge turbo-charger giving it 530bhp — more horsepower than a Ferrari F430. He beat 35 rivals at the speed trial.

The grandfather-of-two, from Plymouth, Devon, said: “The next closest to me was 17mph slower — not bad for an old man.
“It is very exciting but I didn’t find it scary at all.
“I have been riding motorbikes since I was 16 — I’ve grown up with speed.”
j.coles@the-sun.co.uk
I cannot imagine what that must have felt like ! He must be thrilled though !
Well Done to him ! :drink: :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:12 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
249mph grandad sets motorbike speed record
By JOHN COLES - Published: 19th May 2012
BRAVE Mike Grainger broke a European speed record by hitting 249.1mph on a motorbike — aged 61.

Grandad Mike averaged 229mph on two quarter-mile runs at a speed trial. He reclaimed the record he had held for two years until 1998.

He said: “Now I’m waiting for someone, somewhere, to go out on their motorbike and break my record so I can beat it again.
“I don’t see any point in breaking my own record.
“I’m already the fastest granddad in Europe. Someone will have a go at it — if they do, I’ll have to do it again before I get too old.”

Fearless Mike, who runs his own motorbike business, made his record attempt on a modified Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa at Elvington airstrip, North Yorks.

He reckons that he spent around £25,000 on his customised bike, including bolting on a huge turbo-charger giving it 530bhp — more horsepower than a Ferrari F430. He beat 35 rivals at the speed trial.

The grandfather-of-two, from Plymouth, Devon, said: “The next closest to me was 17mph slower — not bad for an old man.
“It is very exciting but I didn’t find it scary at all.
“I have been riding motorbikes since I was 16 — I’ve grown up with speed.”
j.coles@the-sun.co.uk
I cannot imagine what that must have felt like ! He must be thrilled though !
Well Done to him ! :drink: :)

LOL - well done indeed! I"m the same age and certainly wouldn't have the bottle to do something like that!

to sink your ship of fools

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 17:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm not far behind you in age :D Just heard I'm going to be a gramps for the 5th time. :o (Someone needs to teach her and horny hub about contraception).

I'd give it a go. Just think about it like taking off in a plane; that doesn't bother us does it? :P

Well done to him :bow:

Of course, It's not the land speed record I set :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/v/hfo1xcnLV7E?ve ... autoplay=1

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.