Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 09:04 
User

It goes without saying really, I'm a biker, been riding for twenty years now my current bike is a Piaggio X9 500sl scooter.

Last edited by mcbiker on Tue Oct 24, 2006 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 09:13 

:welcome:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 09:18 
User

mcbiker wrote:
It goes without saying really, I'm a biker, been riding for twenty years now my current bike is a Piaggio 500sl scooter.

Welcome. I recognise the Avatar - did you used to be a member on Bikersweb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 21:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

did my direct access in jan 2000. was struggling with the u turn but on the day did a beauty! Did a right hander and forgot the old lifesaver untill I was turning. I knew what I'd done and thought I'd failed and just swore to my self in my lid. The examiner mentioned the lifesaver and said "at least you'd have known what hit you!", it was a decent ride with only a couple of minor mistakes.

I'd love a bigger bike than the trusty C90, but tractor driver wages don't allow for a reliable car, powerfull bike, a pension and the ability to eat. So the occasional go on the little brothers SV650s will have to suffice. He's supposed to be getting something bigger soon. nice

If my premium bond ship comes in then I'll be off to my local Honda emporium for a CBR600 and a shed load of advanced training. Keep looking longingly at BMW's too, guess that happens after 30...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 15:49 
User

I took my DAS course back at the start of this year and passed first time. None more surprised than me 'cos it was peeing down with rain and the examiner was really, really pedantic.
I was convinced I'd cock up somewhere but a good trainer and immense concentration saw me through.
I used to ride smaller bikes before we had to take all these tests but thought I'd really like to get on a sizeable machine (to carry my sizeable weight!).
Training, and the test, was on a Kawasaki 500, I rode a Yamaha Fazer 600 for awhile and have just settled on a very nice Honda Deauville 650.
I Have been a motorist for 20 odd years and many moons ago, whilst employed as a BiB, I took and passed the Police driving course attaining a Grade one from the drive and accompanying written exam.
I truly believe that the Roadcraft training has stood me in good stead all these years and has even helped on the bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 20:30 
User

Sixy_the_red wrote:
mcbiker wrote:
It goes without saying really, I'm a biker, been riding for twenty years now my current bike is a Piaggio 500sl scooter.

Welcome. I recognise the Avatar - did you used to be a member on Bikersweb?

Sorry for the late reply, I've checked out Bikersweb and I don't seem to be a member there but I'm on quite a few others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 21:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I guess I'm what they call a Born-Again-Biker.

Passed my motorcycle test at age 16 (in the early 70s) and then promptly rode a 350cc Triumph Tiger all the way to the south of Spain.

I got back onto a bike about 9 years ago and my biggest regret is that I didn't get back sooner. Since then I have become a Senior Motorcycle Observer for the IAM and have recently passed my RoSPA test at Gold standard.

Obviously I have a passion for motorcycling and take enormous pleasure in helping people prepare for, and pass, their Advanced Motorcycle Test.

I commute all year round on my beloved VFR 800 which has just clocked up 70k. I also have a CBR1000RR which is like my naughty mistress!

I discovered this website today and I am very impressed with the quality of the content and with the intelligent postings. I am especially impressed with Paul Smith, who appears to be a wonderful ambassador for common sense. A quality sadly missing from government transport policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 00:04 
Site Admin

Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
I am especially impressed with Paul Smith, who appears to be a wonderful ambassador for common sense. A quality sadly missing from government transport policy.

:welcome: And then some. Thanks for your kind words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 00:24 
Former Police Officer
Former Police Officer

Grumpy Old Biker wrote:
I.

I commute all year round on my beloved VFR 800 which has just clocked up 70k.

Hooray another Viffer rider. Mines now at 87,000 miles. Welcome

Post subject: Hi All!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 13:54 
User

Or more exactly, 'Hi Again' :)

My name's Horse, and it's been a while since I regularly posted here (if I can find a 'all posts by' button I'll see when I stopped).

Been riding since '76 (remember the long, hot summer? I started riding when the rain started, it didn't stop for about 3 years . . . ), and involved with rider training since '79.

First with the long-defunct RAC/ACU, then the BMF-RTS (now defunct, and reinvented as BMF-RT).

Although training has always been a 'hobby', I've taken it seriously (I don't believe there can be any other way).

During the years, I've done 'Part One' & 'Proficiency Test' examining, 'CBT', 'L', 'Born Again'* and 'Advanced' training.

* Probably running one of - if not the - first courses in the UK specifically aimed at riders returning to biking.

In the last few years I've been involved in the development of instructor training courses, which have their own element of fun :) I'm a great 'trainee' ;)

During '92 I became involved with the MSF (a US training organisation) through the USAF at air bases over here, qualifying as an instructor (a 2-week residential course) in '94.

Now, with a family and older house, time limits mean less time can go on training, although I still commute daily by bike (although not today - it's a tad breezy so the filly gave me a lift).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 19:03 
New User
New User

As I am new to the forum, though I should introduce myself.

Am in my mid 20s, have had my own bikes since I was 16, but you could say I was born into the biking world as the majority of my extended family all have bikes. Have done my advanced test and really enjoyed the tutition.

I am an all weather biker, using my machine (currently an aging Fazer6)to comute to work but have also done some super tours with it! Although I am looking to get something bigger this year for the summer.

Have had the pleasure of owning some great bikes, including the old VFR750 (awesome bike) and an inherited Honda CG175.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 21:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:welcome:

Welcome Micah, and welcome again Horse.

I hope you find this site as interesting as I do.......

Post subject: My turn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Got my first bike in 1975, a brand new green 250cc Honda G5. How many of you remember that thing I wonder? O to 60 in half an hour, or so it felt. Since then I've had more bikes than I care to remember. Gave up for a long time beause the patter of tiny feet came our way. Couldn't bungie her to the back of my Kwack Z1300 so had to get a car :( It's a familiar story I know. Returned much later. (it never leaves yer blood eh?) My passion for bikes outlasted my wife, who chose to do a different sort of riding with someone else. It's the big five Ohhh next year for me so I need fast motorbikes and loose women - well, just the bikes really.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Post subject: Jackanory
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I feel it would be remiss of me not to extend my thanks and appreciation to Paul. Now that I have had time to read more about you and the site I reasise the time and effort you must have devoted to it. Three cheers for Paul I say!!!

This subject may be along the lines that you were thinking Paul: -

It's a story which may interest or amuse people, hopefully the former though…

The first day I had my bike I fell off quite badly. I was used to cycling instead and rode my motorbike about one foot from the curb. Sounds stupid now, I know, but I was young and didn't know better. Also, there wasn't any real training as such in those days. You could walk into a shop, as I did, buy anything up to 250cc and just ride off. Crazy really, but that's how things were then as I'm sure many on this forum will remember. Thank goodness things have changed.

I'd managed okay during the day but on the night I was travelling down an unlit road and I breathed into the bubble visor of my open-faced helmet. You don't see them any more but it's looks, well - like a big bubble on a hinge which you pulled down over your face. As I took a big breath out, it fogged-up instantly and being so close to the kerb I drifted towards it in my panic while taking my hand off the bars to pull the visor up. I hit the curb and came off at about 50mph. It was a 60mph unrestricted road. I eventually came to a halt just short of a tree! I was very lucky, it could have been a LOT worse.

In those days the motorcycle gear was next to useless, and I was too poor to afford leathers, so as you can imagine I took quite a lot of skin off my body. Back then, biker jackets were often made of sheep's napa, which were as thin as rice paper and not much stronger. Armoured jackets were unheard of. If there's one change I am very impressed with these days it's the quality and range of excellent clothing on the market. I wish I'd had something like it back then but I'd spent every last penny on my steed and leather was VERY expensive. If there is a moral to this story: Don't skimp on clothing.

Take care folks.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 15:38 

I've been on this forum for a while but only just came across this sticky thread.

Anyway - I'm a biker too - I've been riding for about 6/7 years now. Currently I have a Suzuki SV650S which I really like :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 16:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

zcar wrote:
I've been on this forum for a while but only just came across this sticky thread.

Anyway - I'm a biker too - I've been riding for about 6/7 years now. Currently I have a Suzuki SV650S which I really like :D

Nice one! I have a V-Twin too - KLV1000. Quick off the mark aint they?

In fact, yours is aerodynamic so you'll pip me on top end, in Germany of course :roll:

If you're ever in the Midlands give me a PM and we'll meet up at Stratford on Avon, (nice biker venue).

Aint she beautiful?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 22:10 

Big Tone wrote:
zcar wrote:

In fact, yours is aerodynamic so you'll pip me on top end, in Germany of course :roll:

If you're ever in the Midlands give me a PM and we'll meet up at Stratford on Avon, (nice biker venue).

Aint she beautiful?

Oh nice :)

Funnily enough I live in a place called <something> on Avon :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 22:14 
Gold Member
Gold Member

zcar wrote:
Big Tone wrote:
zcar wrote:

Aint she beautiful?

Oh nice :)

Funnily enough I live in a place called <something> on Avon :D

Okay! I'll buy me a canoe then! :hehe:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 16:37 
User

Been posting for a few weeks now after 2 years of lurking.
Guess I should come out of the closet at this point - can't reach the keyboard from in there.
Had a CD175 field bike at 16 - it was always broke but taught me how to fix bikes.
Came back to bikes 10 years later and passed my test on a CB125 twin. Ran a hardtailed 400 Sooperdreem rat for 9 years - to be a bad ass biker one has to develop a really bad ass. I did.
Then got an FJ1200 and spent the next few months speeding up for bumps, pot holes and sunken manhole covers. Bliss!
Currently have the FJ, a Royal Enfield Bullet with the later style frame (not the early type as on the Madras models) and a C90 special - all broken. Poo!
Not been in the saddle in GB for (ahem) years now. I hate it!
My wife is Philippine so at least I get to borrow the brother in laws XRM110 when over there - neat little C90 based step through taillie that's become very popular over there. On the road from Mr Honda for the princely sum of £600 brand new.
MAG member for 16 years now and ex-AWoL reader, not that you'd be able to tell.

Post subject: Hello all.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 21:58 
New User
New User

Just registered and saying `ow do. I am a truck driving bike rider. My little toy is an xjr1300.