Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Filtering
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:56 

As another thread has touched on this...

Do you? Don't you?

If you do, what do you watch out for, to filter safely?

Where does the law stand on filtering?

If you're a car driver, do you move over a bit to allow the bike through, or do you deliberately close the gap? :furious:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:28 

Filter every day on the way to work. My journey is 7 miles, 1 of those on a 40mph DC (which could be a 60 but probably isn't due to its location) and the rest on roads with a 30mph limit, ranging from quiet residential streets with barely room for 1 car to pass to a DC with no houses fronting on to it.

I filter to the front of the queue at every set of lights. I'm quite fortunate that traffic levels aren't really that heavy, so on average I'm only filtering 50 yards or so at a time, with the exception of 1 stretch where I filter through about half a mile of queueing traffic. I usually filter while the vehicles are stationary and merge back in once they start to move again.

What do I watch out for? In my daily commute the main danger isn't lane-switching like it would be on the motorway; it's people letting passengers out into the middle of the road. This is particularly prevalent in the few hundred yards leading up to a fairly new secondary school. It seems like many parents drop their kids off and then turn right at the traffic lights a quarter mile further up the road. Since the queue is typically half a mile long these parents think it's appropriate to let their kids out when they're in the right hand lane. :roll: That's clearly much easier for them than letting the kids out at the pavement then changing lane!

The other major hazard on that same stretch of road is bus drivers letting their passengers out from the right hand lane and pedestrians who don't look before walking off the pavement through the queueing vehicles to cross the road. Why do they always do that in front of large vans so you can't see them coming? So far I have thwarted their attempts to get me to knock them down. :D

I always thank drivers who move over to let me by. (and it's always the same drivers every morning). Similarly, another group of drivers can be seen repositioning to attempt to block my way. What's that all about? If I commuted by car it'd take far longer, so I'd have to leave the house earlier, so I'd just be another car in front of them in the queue making their journey take even longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 14:04 
User

I do filter, but it depends what mood I'm in. Sometimes I just can't be bothered, don't have the energy whatever. Main hazards are people switching lanes and people coming out of junctions that I haven't seen. I tend to keep my speed down to a minimum though just in case.

I always thank those who move over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 18:59 

I wrote an article on it here
http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/filtering.html

you may find the section on accident liability interesting - its based on case law research (my research is a compendium of the research). There are some very bad legal presedents indeed.

Mrs Miggins: the section on Approaching Junctions, Traffic Lights and Roundabouts may be of interest. As there is a risk with going to the front of the queue - what happens if the lights go green just as you pull in front of the lead car? - I do it too on occasion, but its always handy to know the risks. I always aim for one back and only pass the last car dead slow and when I'm sure the lights wont change. I see some rider go full pelt to the front and I've seen people go into the island as they run out of road when the lights change.

Sixy: the section on Filtering and your insurance covers what your insurance will do if you have an accident with a vehicle joining the road from a side road or leaving the road for a side road - i.e. 50/50.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 19:16 

Hi diy, I've seen the page you've linked to before, but I never knew you wrote it. :)

Fortunately I'm very familiar with the phasing of the lights on my journey so I can tell pretty accurately whether or not I have time to get to the front when I'm still a good way back in the queue. As you say, it's never a good idea to get to the front just as the first vehicles are starting to move off as it could leave you with nowhere to go.

As usual, it's all about anticipation and good planning to make sure that, as well as predicting the actions of others, they can also predict mine. That way there are fewer surprises all round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 19:16 

If you don't filter whats the point of taking the bike! It cuts about 20 mins of the journey time when I ride to work.

Usualy I only do it when traffic is going very slow or stationary. In any case it is usualy no more than 10-20mph speed differential.

I concentrate on the position and movement of cars in front of me looking for situations where they may do a sudden lane change.

I find cars usualy move over if they see you. I always do the same when I am driving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:13 
User

Some of you (well sixy anyway) will be pleased to know this is my last post, because she wants me off - can't stand another opinion without getting defensive and bitchy (in private messages) can you! Seems I've opened a whole can of worms with this filtering thing, so I'll leave you lot to get on with it, as you're the experts and must be right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:55 

Kim wrote:
Seems I've opened a whole can of worms with this filtering thing,

Seems like not everything with bikers is as you've assumed it to be from inside your little metal box so..

Kim wrote:
so I'll leave you lot to get on with it, as you're the experts and must be right.

You are butting out because your arguments are woefully inadequate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 13:06 
User

Kim wrote:
Some of you (well sixy anyway) will be pleased to know this is my last post, because she wants me off - can't stand another opinion without getting defensive and bitchy (in private messages) can you! Seems I've opened a whole can of worms with this filtering thing, so I'll leave you lot to get on with it, as you're the experts and must be right.

Would you care to share BOTH sides of the conversation with the rest of the users Kim? I did NOT say that I want you off, I simply pointed out that people who are blatantly anti any particular road group don't receive warm welcomes here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 08:36 

I had a new filtering risk experience the other day which I didn't anticipate - thought I'd share it.

The situation was traffic lights cross roads. There was a queue of traffic with a bus at the front indicating to turn right. I filtered right up to the back of the bus on the right and then moved to the inside in order not to risk being collected as he turned right. I had considered there would still be enough space for the bus to swing out.

anyway lights went green and I moved off - hadn't stopped long enought to put a foot down.

Immediately the car opposite turned right across my path forcing me to do an e-stop. The driver looked confused when I sounded my horn as she'd no idea where I came from.

Its pretty obvious what she did - she saw the bus indicating right, realised that the bus would likely hold up traffic as it turned, giving her the opportunity to turn right without having to wait. She'd probably been planning it for the 2-3 mins she was sitting there and had not bothered to check anything had changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 19:19 
User

I filter, always have and always thank the drivers that let me through. I wont say here what happens to those that risk my kids becoming fatherless by pulling across to knock me off. them that merely pull out to block me and are still in sat in the que (spelling :?: ) get passed on the other side and a silly great grin :P
I always try to be aware of what is about when I'm in the car and not make any sudden movements but when the opputunity arises i move over some to let bikes past but not before checking the near side mirror. just in case I've nipped up there :D

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 20:13 
User

The only thing that bothers me (when driving the car and others filter) is those that continue filtering even when it becomes overtaking on a pedestrian crossing. One bike did it this morning and nearly ran down a child on the crossing. I don't recall any section of RTA that allows bikes to overtake on crossings ?

Post subject: Re: !
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 08:14 
User

jomukuk wrote:
The only thing that bothers me (when driving the car and others filter) is those that continue filtering even when it becomes overtaking on a pedestrian crossing. One bike did it this morning and nearly ran down a child on the crossing. I don't recall any section of RTA that allows bikes to overtake on crossings ?

Rest assured I would never do that - I would suggest that biker needs taking to one side for a little chat... :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 09:30 

The specific rules for overtaking on a zebra/ped crossing marked with zig zags are:

You must not overtake the lead car that is stopped or stopping to allow people to cross the road.

you may overtake all other queing vehicles, you may overtake the lead car once it is on the crossing itself (passing it), you may overtake a car that is stopped at the crossing to keep it clear because of an obstruction ahead (e.g. queue).

In the situation described the rider broke the rules. however had the crossing not been in use his overtake would have been perfectly legal (although it may have been illadvised).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]