Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 13:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 17:10 
New User
New User

Hello and I wonder if you can shed any light on a couple of questions I have been asked by some agency drivers that work with us.

Question 1. driver has recently passed his Cat C in Feb this year and his licence is due renewal in 2011. does he have to complete the 35hrs training and take the theory and pratical test in readiness for 2009 when it becomes law meaning he has only got a licence for 30mths or does he have to complete this by 2011 before his licence can be renewed?

2. If he wanted to upgrade his licence to C+E having obtained a theory certificate which is valid for 2 years does he have to take the new CPC theory test (4hrs) and the new Pratical test (2) hrs .. is there a official starting date for when these will be effective nationaly and all theory and practical tests will be of the new format.?

I have read the DSA website to see if I can make sense of it but especially for agency drivers it doesnt seem to make sense or indeed long term profitable as they will it seems to be incur the cost of the training themselves unlike drivers in companies who the majority will have this available to them... If this is the case then a lot of agency drivers will choose to forefit there licence and surely the driver shortage will become much worse.

Anyway if anyone has any valid information on the above I would welcome there input.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 18:54 
User

Q1. existing HGV drivers are exempt from the drivers CPC until 2014 (2013 for bus drivers)
as for the renewal, the exemption should still cover him. as far as i know the renewal is pretty much a medical and nothing more so the licence itself will still be valid hence the exemption should still remain valid

i dont know about upgrading but as an HGV licence is already held, nothing changes as far as CPC etc is concerned. category is not listed ie doesnt matter if you have C or C+E. the basic C is enough for exemption

the drivers CPC for HGV comes in sept 2009

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 08:33 
User

So what does the CPC actually entail and what are the ramifications for those of us still trying to save up for our HGV licences?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:18 
New User
New User

So what does the CPC actually entail and what are the ramifications for those of us still trying to save up for our HGV licences?

In respect of your question it may be worth while looking at the DSA website which looks at explaining the ramifications. I know that as of the 1st of April the cost of the theroy test has risen due to more questions being asked. And as far as I am aware .. long term the main aspects are theory test will be 4 hrs as opposed to 2.5 now and the practical will be 2 hrs as opposed to 1.5 hrs now .. the practical instead of just asking how you would do something like check water,oil etc will actualy ask you to do it. In additon to all this you will be required to undergo 35 hrs of supervised training over a period of 5 years. then after every 5 years you must complete the Theory,practical and 35 hrs in order to retain your CPC driving without one will be against the law.

That is my current understanding and I hope it has given you some insight into the major changes that are taking effect.

And Thank You scanny for your reply it is very much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 18:45 
User

i dont think anyone really knows what the drivers CPCwill entail. its 2 years away so i doubt anything will be set in stone yet. look at the WTD. that wasnt officially released until 2 weeks after it was supposed to come into effect :roll:

in case you dont yet know, the drivers CPC will require a card and whoever is issueing it will relieve you of £25 initially and £5 every 5 years thereafter. no surprises there then. we know what it will cost us but we dont know what we are going through to receive this card :x

SSAFA supporter
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=126025031585