It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 03:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 14:14 
Site Admin

Piddy wrote:
TripleS wrote:
Good. That sounds like common sense.

The higher level skills of a genuinely advanced driver must be taken into account in deciding whether or not the driving was dangerous.

Basing the judgement on the opinions of normal 'careful and competent' drivers is not adequate.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

What complete rubbish. There are plenty of places the driver could have tested out the handling of hias car without doing it on a public poad.

If Michael Schumacher is caught speeding on a public road he runs the risk of losing his racing licence and yet who is the better driver????

Nobody has the right to do this speed on the roads. It does not matter how advanced a driver you are. You cannot predict the unforeseeable. An animal could run in front of you. A tyre could blow out. The guy is just an idiot and he should have been convicted of this in the same way any of the rest of us would have been.

Do you honestly think when the police find these videos by idiots on you tube showing themselves at ridiculous speeds that they will consider whether the driver is doing 159mph in a 'safe way' or how advanced their driving skills are. Don't make me laugh!!

I'm sorry, but it's completely obvious that you have no experience whatsoever of driving fast on a road or on a track, which invalidates your comments.

You're assuming that you understand the requirements and objectives, but you do not.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:01 
New User
New User

TripleS wrote:
Piddy wrote:
TripleS wrote:

The higher level skills of a genuinely advanced driver must be taken into account in deciding whether or not the driving was dangerous.

Basing the judgement on the opinions of normal 'careful and competent' drivers is not adequate.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

What complete rubbish. There are plenty of places the driver could have tested out the handling of hias car without doing it on a public poad.

If Michael Schumacher is caught speeding on a public road he runs the risk of losing his racing licence and yet who is the better driver????

Nobody has the right to do this speed on the roads. It does not matter how advanced a driver you are. You cannot predict the unforeseeable. An animal could run in front of you. A tyre could blow out. The guy is just an idiot and he should have been convicted of this in the same way any of the rest of us would have been.

Do you honestly think when the police find these videos by idiots on you tube showing themselves at ridiculous speeds that they will consider whether the driver is doing 159mph in a 'safe way' or how advanced their driving skills are. Don't make me laugh!!

Welcome to SafeSpeed, Piddy - and thanks for your contribution. Don't worry, I won't attempt to make you laugh; I know when a job's too much for me. :)

Meanwhile I stand by my comments.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Fair enough. Each to their own.

Thank you for the welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:07 

SafeSpeed wrote:
Piddy wrote:
Some stuff...

I'm sorry, but it's completely obvious that you have no experience whatsoever of driving fast on a road or on a track, which invalidates your comments.

You're assuming that you understand the requirements and objectives, but you do not.

Woah, easy tiger! Since when did not having the pre-requisite knowledge or experience prevent many of the members of this forum from posting opinionated comments about stuff they know sod-all about :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 13:05 
User

Piddy wrote:
TripleS wrote:
Piddy wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Welcome to SafeSpeed, Piddy - and thanks for your contribution. Don't worry, I won't attempt to make you laugh; I know when a job's too much for me. :)

Meanwhile I stand by my comments.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Fair enough. Each to their own.

Thank you for the welcome.

That's OK. Maybe we'll chat another time.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:12 
New User
New User

SafeSpeed wrote:
Piddy wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

That is one of the most ammusing replies i have ever seen in a forum by the way. Just how do yu know how many track days I have done or how fast i might like to drive. I have owned powerful light weight cars and bikes for quite some time and have never had an accidenmt or received any points on my licence. Yet I am generally considered by the people who have been in the car with me to be the most skillful and in control; person they have been driving with on the limit.

The requirements and objectives you speak of.......he is a cop, and therefore obliged to follow the law in the same way as the rest of us and should therefore be penalised in the same way as the rest of us. His objective is to make the roads safer......not drive about creating a potential danger.

Try not to make stupid snap judgements on people you know nothing about.

Post subject: Re: Mark Milton
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:39 
User

"Holy Thread resurrection Batman..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-21958900

Quote:
PC Mark Milton 'crashed into island at 92mph'
A police officer was driving at speeds of up to 108mph moments before he crashed his patrol car in a Shropshire village, a court has heard.

PC Mark Milton, 46, from Pendrel Close in Market Drayton, said he was chasing a suspected stolen car on the A442 in Cold Hatton, which has a 40mph limit.

Worcester Crown Court heard the car was travelling at 92mph when it crashed into a traffic island in October 2011.

No other vehicle was involved in the crash. He denies dangerous driving.

The BMW patrol car suffered a shredded tyre and broken suspension strut when it struck the island on 26 October.

Nobody was injured in the crash although the driver's airbag did deploy, the court heard.

'Grossly excessive'
Prosecutor Pat Sullivan told the jury the car's data recorder showed that its average speed leading up to the crash was between 98mph and 99mph, and it had reached a maximum speed of 108mph.

Mr Sullivan told the court: "The Crown's case is that this is grossly excessive speeding - so grossly excessive that it amounts to dangerous driving."

Mr Sullivan said Mr Milton, who is based in Shrewsbury, contacted his supervisor by radio several minutes after the collision claiming to have hit a kerb.

A colleague attended the scene and after they examined the roadway, they realised the car had struck the island.

The court heard from Sgt Ed Bates, who received a call from Mr Milton on his radio to report substantial damage to the BMW.

He said he visited the "pitch black" scene and that Mr Milton said he had "clipped" a kerb after being dazzled by the headlights of an oncoming car.

His colleague seemed shocked and upset after the collision, he said.

The trial continues.

Oops!
I suppose you could technically describe the island as having a herb, and it interesting that it has not been confirmed or denied that he WAS chasing another vehicle at the time!

Is his number finally up this time?

Post subject: Re: Mark Milton
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 18:47 

The 40MPH is a bit of a red herring.

This is the road in question before it had its 40MPH restrictions and controversial islands, which are actually obstacles built into the centre of the road which make life very difficult for tractors with trailers. (used be a 70MPH limit when I first drove it.)

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.789294, ... 29.54,,0,0

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.