Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 19:07 
New User
New User

Having just heard of Paul's death, I felt moved to join the site.
I hope his efforts will bear fruit long after his passing.
Alan Jeffery

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 21:25 

RIP Paul and my condolences to his family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 21:30 
Life Member
Life Member

I have no doubt that his work will save a lot of lives.

For that many many people will owe Paul a deep debt of gratitude.

He was one of the people who inspired me to give some time to help improve the lives of others.

We will miss him and are grateful for the work he did on behalf of all of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 22:03 
Gold Member
Gold Member

RIP Paul Smith, The Patron Saint of Road Safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 23:40 
New User
New User

I heard about Paul's death from Idris Francis. A very sad loss. I have contributed to the 'unsigned forms' mailing list many times and always looked forward to his posts.

I hope somebody will take over and carry on his good work.

Nick

Post subject: A huge loss to us all.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 23:45 
User

I am very very sorry to hear this.

Though we never met, we spoke quite a few times and what a passion he had for saving other peoples lives against a huge government machine that is out of control.

Such people as Paul, who campaign for the benefit of others using the peaceful power of persuasion, are rare.

At least he lived to see everything he predicted so long ago proved true, even if the solution is as far away as ever.

A sad day indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 00:42 
User

This is terrible news. Just awful!

I never met Paul. Or did I? When I saw him for the first time on TV talking about Med Hughes, I suddenly realised that I had met Paul many years ago. But I could not recall when, where or why. I just remembered him as a nice, no nonsense chap.

Paul will be sadly missed.

But he has left a legacy that must be built on. One day real road safety will be championed in Britain once again, and it will be because of Paul Smith.

My condolences to his family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:29 

I'm very sad to hear of Paul's death. The world has lost truly a giant among men and truly a giant in road safety.

My deepest condolences to Claire and Paul's family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 21:07 
User

Claire, you have my heartfelt sympathy. So many good ones 'clockout early', but they leave behind their legacy of warmth, love, understanding and caring. It seems as though your Paul was one of those good ones.
Always remember the good times and that will be some small comfort to you in the days ahead.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 21:07 

I would like to express my sadness and shock at this awful news. My deepest and most heartfelt condolances to Claire, and to Paul's family.

May Paul rest in peace while others build on his achievements creating a lasting memorial to his life. Paul's campaign will save many lives - a fitting testament to a dedicated man who will be sorely missed by those who knew him and his work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 21:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh my. I've been away for a week, and come back to this. I'm shocked and saddened by this news.

I'm not much of a prolific contributor, but read the forums here every day since it was always a haven of sanity.

Not having known him personally, I will remember him for the honesty, integrity and intelligence that he showed here.

I shall go for a drive tomorrow and say a few words in a quiet place.

My condolences to Paul's family and friends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 21:55 
User

This is my first post on this forum for more than 2 years.

Not because I "fell out" with Paul... But because he publicly asked me to can the incandescent anger within me and not speak my mind quite so bluntly about what is going on because my doing so, he feared, might damage the campaign.

My "not posting" has not stopped me from reading through from time to time, nor speaking with Paul by telephone possibly 15 or twenty times over the last 28 months since I last publicly posted on here.

Anyway, I think breaking my undertaking to not post again in order to scribe to this thread would have been acceptable to Paul (Not that he ever banned me anyway - just asked me not to post in the way I sometimes did and would still do).

Paul was a great man with a heart of gold. They say the good die young. Paul was a good man.

I hope that the safespeed campaign doesn't die with him and I look to whomsoever takes the project on and undertake to give whatever help I'm able (or to stay schtum, publicly - whichever is preferred) to ensure the countless hours Paul spent on the SafeSpeed aren't lost and wasted.

Paul played a very improtant role in transport safety generally in this country and one day his input will be appreciated by far more people than just those few thousand who posted regularly here.

Claire, you have my sincerest deepest sympathies. You may find it of great comfort in the months and years to come when you remember your time with Paul that he was a very well liked man who made a positive mark on the British landscape. I am sure I speak for most if not all of the SafeSpeed family in saying those of us who were his friends are your friends and we offer you our love and understanding too.

None of us can make up for Paul's loss but each of us sends you a hug, a kiss and a love - I'm sure we all hope you will find the will to carry on Paul's work or facilitate and delegate for others to do so, perhaps by committee. There are lots of us around should you need help and call upon us - and I am sure each of us will contribute what we are able.

Paul F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 22:42 
User

Location: Swindon, the home of the Magic Roundabout and no traffic planning
My deepest condolences to Claire and family. This has been the first time I have managed to access the site since I heard the sad news. RIP Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 22:50 
User

I agree.. a very big kiss und a bear hug.. but do support financially - by donating the cost of a nice bouquet to the campaign's coffers./

This ensures Paul did not live in vain and that his work continues to impress those who need that impression.

I am being arrogant to Claire as I should have consulted her first before hammering a keyboard on PH or waited till my husband return for reply to pm via PH.

But my family will be donating the equivalent of a bouquet per each family unit to safespeed's fund. We intend to match this same amount by donating to the British Heart Foundation.

So think folks.. make Paul's life meaningful and donate the price of a bouquet to the campaign .. or make an equal 50/50 split betweeen the cost of flowers und a donation to a meaningful charity.

Win-win situation. We help keep Paul's ultimate aim of more police ..better road safety for all alive.. und we also help research to save lives or children.

In this way we make Paul's life meaningful.. und achieve what he reallt wanted here.

Claire.. I think of you und your Paulie tomorrow. with my love to you.

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 23:09 
Life Member
Life Member

Outstanding commitment to common sense. Thanks Paul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 23:55 
User

I only arrived back home from France at 5.00am, so I only found out last night after work - when the site was locked up.

To Claire, I can only say how sorry I am at your loss - mere words are not enough to alleviate your pain and sorrow.

To the rest of the community, I see now how lucky I am to have met Paul at JT's house one night. It's obvious now that not everyone has been that lucky.

The thing which I feel the most is:
PAUL NEVER GAVE UP TRYING - even when perhaps he should have taken things easy. :(

Apart from the financial support already mentioned, the campaign needs press exposure - Paul was a PR machine, jumping on every opportunity.

That will be hard to fill, so we all need to be on the case with at the very least our local press, writing letters, and pointing out the lies and deceit published by some unscrupulous SCP's.
You need to do this to honour Paul's memory, AND to make the roads a safer place for those who will follow us all.

RIP Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 23:55 
User

RIP Paul :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 02:35 
User

Jesus, I've only just noticed this and I'm still in shock......

I can only wish his family and friends well, offer my sincere condolances and thank them for Pauls' efforts on our behalf. I'm truly in shock!

Draco.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I’m horrified that I’ve only just discovered this dreadful news. To say I’m shocked, saddened and left with a feeling of utter loss is an understatement – I’m devastated.

My only solace is the proud and happy thought that I met Paul once.

Out of the blue, he emailed me last April, “What are you doing next Sunday?”
He was on a big trip down South and he actually wanted to travel about 100 miles out of his way to see me. I couldn’t believe it!

Paul arrived about mid-day, it was glorious weather and we spent all afternoon sitting on the decking and chatted. In the evening we went for a curry - his favourite meal, and he left about 11pm.

I asked him a couple of times during the day, “Why me? Why did you want to meet me?” I was just one of many Safe Speed members and I was feeling immensely honoured.
I never did get a convincing answer but I really wasn’t too bothered, I had the man all to myself and I was cherishing every precious moment. How awful to realise how truly precious it was. It was something I can never enjoy again – none of us can.

From a purely personal view, the man inspired me. I respected everything he said. If he praised my words, I was elated, if he challenged them I wanted to know more. I loved his sense of humour. I loved his enthusiasm, his vision and his energy. I loved his words.

Paul, I shall miss you so much.

Wherever you are, enjoy yourself. I love you, man….

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:10 
New User
New User

I always felt Paul was an oasis of reason in a desert of nonsense. He will be missed. RIP.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next