Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 07:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: West Yorkshire
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 20:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

West Yorkshire 113 up from 99 previous year (record low)

Very interesting piece here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west ... efault.stm

on right hand side audio & video, it seems that 15-25 year olds are being blamed (maybe rightly) it's not that speed cameras don't work but the authorities "don't know what to do about the problem"!

Upton Sinclair

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 22:09 

Direct link to Road deaths up in West Yorks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... w=bb&mp=wm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 19:13 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

From that clip of Thornton it looks like Paul has a rival in the hippy looks.. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 18:46 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Surrey Stats.

Year Fatal Serious KSI Slight
1990 92 1235 1327
1991 66 1003 1069
1992 71 938 1009
1993 62 933 995
1994 68 858 926 6636
1995 73 899 972 6599
1996 68 858 926 6690
1997 76 831 907 6669
1998 57 866 923 6524
1999 73 708 781 6619
2000 73 606 679 6287
2001 53 658 711 6676
2002 66 629 695 6111
2003 63 493 556 5899
2004 72 576 648 6254
2005 64 520 584 6274
2006 52 531 583 6265

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:14 
Site Admin

Botach posted the following Warwickshire official link to report

After reading it for 15 minutes, I eventually discovered (in table 4.9) that 47 road users died in 2006.

That's up from 40 (by DfT figures) in 2005.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Sorry -Paul - just realised that i posted in wrong place - move if you like .

Edit - same table ,Paul - bus/minibus fatal/serious =0/1, but p8 says bus ksi decreased ( if i read it right ) by 83% :?

Last edited by botach on Mon Apr 23, 2007 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 13:22 

Quote:
Insight - The staff magazine of Northamptonshire County Council, APRIL 2007

News in Brief

Road casualty statistics down

The Northamptonshire casualty reduction partnership has exceeded government targets for reducing the numbers of casualties on the county's roads, a 43 per cent reduction since 1994-98, and a 14 per cent reduction on 2005.

Despite this success, the number of fatal accidents has risen from 42 in 2005 to 74 in 2006. The partnership is now aiming for a 40 per cent reduction in these figures in the next three years.

I don't know how they managed work this out !!!

They have a lot of catching up to do after the huge increase in fatalities last year.

I think Paul has the data, but if not, I can send it.

Last edited by Dr L on Mon Apr 23, 2007 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 13:24 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Warks have been crowing about that and beating their "targets" for decreases in accidents for months - but Paul's found one error in minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 22:50 
Life Member
Life Member

Dr L wrote:
Despite this success, the number of fatal accidents has risen from 42 in 2005 to 74 in 2006. The partnership is now aiming for a 40 per cent reduction in these figures in the next three years.

You couldn't make it up -- deaths have increased in 2006 in what is presumably a blip, and now they're already planning to claim success for the 40% drop that'll be seen next year when it returns to the mean!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 22:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looking at Paul's post ---have Warks been Rumbled -(shush - might mean another SCP site bash at us )

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 21:46 
User

A simple one on this to prove / disprove whether cameras are REALLY EFFECTIVE IN REDUCING accidents fatal or otherwise why don,t the camera partnerships disable countrywide ALL cameras without notifying anyone they have done so and let the police go back to their old system of speed traps etc. like what they used to have years ago? :wink: :wink:

Then in say 6 months ar a year have a revue of figures to see if they really do save lives but that will never happen because the zealots will say we are here to save lives so we can,t do that also because think of the £millions revenue they won,t be getting and also the people @ "Brake" would be up in arms about it considering they want a 20 mph blanket speed limit for ALL residential and built up areas :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

Instead of battering the beleagured cash cow of a motorist why don,t they try educating the pedestrians who choose to walk on the roads with no thought for the motorist (who incidentally pay to be there) and start fining them for using the roads instead of pavements? :roll: :roll: :x :x

"He Who Ain,t Made Mistakes Ain,t Made Anything"

Spannernut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 01:27 

Stormin, you have just got to realise that the Safety Camera Partnerships and those who operate the speed cameras just don’t give a sh1t about road safety and saving lives. To them it is just a secure job that pays the mortgage, puts food on the table and allows them to have good holidays.

They don’t decide, and don’t care, whether what they do contributes one jot to road safety, they just do what they are told by their superiors, who interpret the rules, set for them by the government, in the way that provides the superiors with the greatest opportunity to further their own careers.

As Paul very well knows, it is only when sufficient politicians see that it is in their interest to get rid of speed cameras that it will happen. That will only be brought about when enough of the population have finally had enough of these infernal instruments, with the resulting fines and penalties for their perfectly safe driving, when they see speed cameras are not achieving any improvements in road safety, when they sufficiently push the issue up the scale of political priorities, and voters make it quite clear they will not support any political representatives that continue to support speed cameras, then something may finally happen to remove speed cameras.

In the meantime what we can do is to keep supporting Paul Smith, who runs Safe Speed, and others with similar objectives, mostly with funds, to help them keep focusing public attention on the problems with speed cameras, and doing what you personally can in bringing attention to problems caused by speed cameras. Write to your MP and councillors, write comments in response to news paper articles, send Freedom of Information enquiries to Safety Camera Partnerships, do anything you can to reduce their effectiveness, fight any speeding ticket you get, and generally lobby for speed cameras to be removed.

Don’t believe that any officials have any interest in finding out if speed cameras are actually effective, or not.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:58 
User

Dr L I totally agree with what you have said in your reply and as I have said in previous posts the cameras are there purely as a "REVENUE EARNING POTENTIAL" and a free cash account for our cash strapped local police forces! :x :x

As with all ideas brought in by this tinpot government when the proverbial hits the fan they don,t admit to getting it wrong (that would mean accepting responsibility) :x :x they PASS it on to a local authority to get all the flak for the problem created it is commonly known as "passing the buck" or as it is known "it ain,t me guv it,s them" :roll: :roll:

There is no council in this country that "invests" the money from camera partnerships that "actively" uses the money for investing in road safety measures they only look at funding more cameras "a viciuos circle" :x :x to ensure more income. :x :x

Training and driver education saves lives not speed cameras and as for the person who says that "don,t do the crime then you won,t do the time" has this person NEVER exceeded the limit by just a couple of miles an hour ANYWHERE? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

He used to be vain but not any longer as he is now perfect! :roll: :roll:

It is called "human error" or is he perfect ALL THE TIME I think not we are all human and make mistakes and unfortunately some result in accidents I don,t think anyone sets out to deliberately have an accident and cause injury or death that is why they are called accidents and for all the c*** about speed cameras saving lives one must assume that in the 50 yards or so range of the cameras there are no accidents but there are ones maybe a few hundred yards further on! :x :x :roll: :roll:

"He Who Ain,t Made Mistakes Ain,t Made Anything"

Spannernut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 17:34 
Life Member
Life Member

any idea/data on the types of road the increase took place on?

was it the build up areas where most accidents traditionally take place, or the faster low-accident roads that they proliferate with cameras?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 21:53 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looking for other info around Warks , stumbled on this little bit of info - looks like a list of accidents etc at various sites- for those better able to sieve through it.

[urlhttp://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corporate/pages.nsf/Links/6EEF0E91C84606DB80256E2E00428AD8/$file/Clusters2007.pdf]more warks info here[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 23:41 

botach wrote:
Looking for other info around Warks , stumbled on this little bit of info - looks like a list of accidents etc at various sites- for those better able to sieve through it.

more warks info here (link repaired)

Last edited by Dr L on Sat Jun 23, 2007 23:43, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:48 

I've not seen any spin from surrey's scam mob, probably because they are targetted on KSI and one less KSI is hardly anything to get excited about.

I predect 2007 will be low too a bad summer always does the fatality stats good. Fewer biker fatalities and people staying in doors more. not going to the pub for a drink after work

Post subject: Re: 2006 fatality stats
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 21:57 
User

Have you all noticed the periodic fluctuations as I have reading all the data in this thread so far? The over view I have is that death toll problem is not being solved or even reduced effectively and thats from the figures in this thread. It is a view Ive had for many years. So perhaps its about time another way of addressing it is (and for my money always has been) needed! :bunker:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 20:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just realised that my post on Warks stats for2006was made in 2007

Like some other SCP , haven't seen anything for 2007.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 01:15 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Herbie J wrote:
Have you all noticed the periodic fluctuations as I have reading all the data in this thread so far? The over view I have is that death toll problem is not being solved or even reduced effectively and thats from the figures in this thread. It is a view Ive had for many years. So perhaps its about time another way of addressing it is (and for my money always has been) needed! :bunker:
:yesyes: Safespeeed IS that other way.