Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 08:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 22:50 
New User
New User

1st post. Hopefully this is in the right forum, if not can someone move it for me.

Right, silly question.

What is the maximum speed for a HGV in the UK?

Me and all the lads I work with argue it's 60MPH, as that's what the highway code says.

Management claim it's 56MPH becuase that's what the current Road Traffic Act says, and this supercedes the Highway code, which we think is a load of rubbish. The Highway code is surely the benchmark, and you cannot have two rules.

We drive new Scania R420's. All with digi tachos etc. and the stupid little flashing thing telling you your average speed is over the limit and the maximum speed.

Naturally I want proper evidence rather than just a link to the highway code to smack management over the head with.

Any help is most appreciated. :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 13:27 
User

The HGV motorway speed limit is 60 Mph, its an EU directive which states that all HGV's be fitted with speed limiters set at 90 Kph and our then Tory government foolishly implemented it. Prior to that speed limiters on new vehicles were set at 60 Mph for a short period under a separate " British initiative ".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 14:10 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

That makes sense Brossen.
Also, there’s no point in setting a limit at a speed that cannot be determined:

“All UK speed limits must be in multiples of 10 mph, as there is no requirement for vehicle speedometers to show increments of less than 10 mph”.
ABD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 15:00 
Magistrate
Magistrate

The information you want is the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, schedule 6

There are several tables in schedule 6 so you will need to check carefully to see which applies to your vehicles

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.as ... size=16599

I am not a lawyer and can't give legal advice. I do have experience of the day to day working of courts and use that knowledge to help where possible. I do not represent any official body and post as an individual.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 21:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

AFIK, the speed limit is 60, but for some weird EU reason limiters are set to 56. :? :?

Just googled this:-

http://www.cybertrucker.co.uk/content.php?menace.php

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 16:52 

fisherman wrote:
The information you want is the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, schedule 6

There are several tables in schedule 6 so you will need to check carefully to see which applies to your vehicles

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.as ... size=16599

Is it me or does that say that tracked vehicles are all legally limited to 20mph (or less)? That would mean all tanks, APCs, etc.?
I'm sure I've seen them going faster, maybe the police aren't brave enough to pull them over... ;)
(Actually it's probably just not profitable enough to bother.)

Oscar wrote:
AFIK, the speed limit is 60, but for some weird EU reason limiters are set to 56. :? :?

That is how I understand it. So if someone is driving an HGV at 60mph on a motorway they aren't violating the RTRA s. 6, but may be violating some other law requiring the use of a speed limiter.
I don't know how these speed limiters have to be calibrated, I've heard that it is advantageous to get them calibrated with the smallest tires you can find, then you can drive the thing faster. (Or just remove the damned things.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 18:19 
User

Oscar wrote:

Just googled this:-

http://www.cybertrucker.co.uk/content.php?menace.php

The reason has already been mentioned. The EU limiter speed is 90KPH, which is.....56MPH.
Moaning seems obligatory.
Doesn't matter, nothing is going to change.
Trucks are 40 on s/c roads, 50 on d/c roads and 60 on m/ways.
There is no intention to change any of those limits.

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 18:32 

jomukuk wrote:

Or, presumably, justify them...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 18:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quote:
The reason has already been mentioned. The EU limiter speed is 90KPH, which is.....56MPH.
Moaning seems obligatory.
Doesn't matter, nothing is going to change.

I know all that. I retired in 2001 after 45 years behind the wheel, from horse and carts through to 44 tonners. They can do whatever they like to the speed of trucks as it won't worry me! :D

The only person the OP has to worry about is his gaffer!! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 18:45 

Oscar wrote:
I know all that. I retired in 2001 after 45 years behind the wheel, from horse and carts through to 44 tonners. They can do whatever they like to the speed of trucks as it won't worry me! :D

Assuming you don't drive and never get stuck behind them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 22:04 
New User
New User

Thanks for all your replies, they are informed and very useful. :drink2:

Hopefully this will do some good.

Like I said, management are claiming the limit is 56, and are having "meetings" with drivers warning them of verbal and written warnings for going over the limit. We have tried to tell them that holding it at 56 going downhill from the 'little house on the prarie' on the M62 into Huddersfield or Rochdale is pretty impossible.

But our annual drivers meeting is cominu up soon, and I'm going to use what you all have given me here as the basis of the arguement.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 22:56 

yatesie wrote:
Like I said, management are claiming the limit is 56, and are having "meetings" with drivers warning them of verbal and written warnings for going over the limit. We have tried to tell them that holding it at 56 going downhill from the 'little house on the prarie' on the M62 into Huddersfield or Rochdale is pretty impossible.

But our annual drivers meeting is cominu up soon, and I'm going to use what you all have given me here as the basis of the arguement.

If a lawfully functioning speed limiter allows the lorry to go above 90km/h then surely there's no problem? If it is functioning as well as the law requires then all you need to do is keep the lorry under 60mph to be legal.
If their speed limiters which they have fitted to their lorries do not limit the speed on a down hill stretch that isn't exactly your fault.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 01:36 
New User
New User

I spoke to the people at VOSA today and they said if they came in and checked digital readouts, they would see people going over 56MPH and use a bit of common sense and not take it any further.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:36 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

yatesie wrote:

Are they similarly concerned with you exceeding 40 mph by 4 mph on NSL single-carriageway roads, then?

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:54 
User

yatesie wrote:
I spoke to the people at VOSA today and they said if they came in and checked digital readouts, they would see people going over 56MPH and use a bit of common sense and not take it any further.

Come in ?
The data from digital tacho's is uploaded direct to VOSA in the majority of cases.
Then they send you a letter warning you of over-time and speed etc....

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 18:34 
User

Right, in answer to the question. The speed limit on motorways is 60mph. Period. You must have a limiter fitted to an HGV. Period. The two have no connection whatsoever in the UK. It's European legislation. As long as the limiter is working you can allow your lorry to go up to 60mph for as long as you like. Period. The fact that a digital tacho bleeps and farts at you when you've gone more than 60 secs. over 56mph is irrelevent. You can't be convicted of going over 56mph on an analog tacho, so why should you on a digital.
Of course, if your firm wants you to stick to 56mph as a matter of policy,well that's another matter, but you're NOT breaking the law.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 19:18 

nrc wrote:
Of course, if your firm wants you to stick to 56mph as a matter of policy,well that's another matter, but you're NOT breaking the law.

Unless in doing so you are getting in someone else's way, or "inconsiderate driving"?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 19:08 
User

Ziltro wrote:
nrc wrote:

Unless in doing so you are getting in someone else's way, or "inconsiderate driving"?

We can only do 56mph on a motorway. How can we be getting in someone else's way or driving inconsiderately? Hmmm?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 19:28 

nrc wrote:
Ziltro wrote:
nrc wrote:

We can only do 56mph on a motorway. How can we be getting in someone else's way or driving inconsiderately? Hmmm?

By not letting people pass if they want to.
If you are causing a queue and not letting it clear then you are driving inconsiderately.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 13:15 
User

Ziltro, most motorways have three lanes, we can only use two of them. Or are you just impatient..?
Tsk, and they thought speed limiters were a good idea...