Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 17:27 
User

Steve wrote:
"Law abiding" obliviously must mean those who use cloned plates :loco:

Law abiding is a term oft used on here to describe people who exceed the speed limit.

edit: reread safespeedv2's post again and concede that what she meant was some people will get NIPs because somebody else has cloned their plate and they (the "cloneee") will just pay the fine ("accept the injustice"). Sorry!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 20:43 
Site Admin

weepej wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
And I am sure many more will be cloned number plates adding to the stress of law abiding citizens, who become tempted to accept injustice, and the NIP, than even fight a ticket, which is where they want to be - attack the Legal system so people might have to pay for their defense and the prosecution ! Then enforce and enforce until some give in ! What a shocking a awful way to behave. It is a real David and Goliath battle.

Are you asserting that somebody who clones a number plate in an attempt to avoid detection by a camera is law abiding?

Oh dear, oh dear I would have thought that you should know be better that that by now ! Of COURSE I am NOT and NEVER ever would, dream of suggesting that people should !
OK I think you have got it now - yep those that clone a plate will go and attract a ticket, and then the poor Law Abiding person, is possibly faced (if they cannot prove otherwise, which is stressful), with paying up for a ticket, (so hard to defend if not easy to prove) when they were never 'the criminal' in the first place. Apology accepted, Thanks .:)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 20:51 
Site Admin

Ok looking back at the text
Quote:
And I am sure many more will be cloned number plates adding to the stress of law abiding citizens, who

could have been written better as :
And I am sure, many more will clone number plates, adding to the stress of law abiding citizens, who ....
The be added a variant 'of' and was not meant to be there and was wrong. Should have checked it more carefully sorry to cause confusion, never intended to.

It is, adding to the tragic list of ever growing side effects, of having speed cameras, by our roads. A virus that needs stamping out.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 21:45 
User

Here's another one, it's now socially accepted in many circles to come up with ways of obscuring your number plates and brag about it down the pub.

I overheard a conversation in a hotel restaraunt the other night while on an overnight trip due to work, some guy in a suit saying that when he goes out on a long trip he sticks a bin-bag to the front of his car, looking like he's just driven into it and it's lodged there, then if he misses a front facing camera, he's still safe. His mates were all like "nice one" and I noticed a few other smiles from people on neighbouring tables.

5-10 years ago I would've thought that what he was doing was completely wrong, indefensible. Today, while I wouldn't do the same myself, I find I just can't look down on the guy for doing so.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 22:52 
User

Lum wrote:
5-10 years ago I would've thought that what he was doing was completely wrong, indefensible. Today, while I wouldn't do the same myself, I find I just can't look down on the guy for doing so.

Still safe?

Doesn't the camera capture the car and the person driving it?

And why does he want to obscure his reg?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 23:17 
User

Presumably he wants to avoid getting done (again?) if he misses a speed limit change or drifts over the limit. Whether he'll still get done or not isn't my point, my point is that many normal people now consider it socially acceptable to disguise your car's identity in this way, wheras 5-10 years ago anyone doing that would be assumed to be a hardened criminal (by which I mean burglar, drug dealer, gangster etc. etc.). It's the same as how many people would turn a blind eye if they happened to notice someone climbing up a gatso with a tyre and a petrol can.

It's a slippery slope, how long before false or cloned plates are ignored in the same manner by joe public (at least until it's their plate that gets cloned)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 00:28 

The problem is that this government is going out of it's way to make more and more of us "criminals" and I don't just mean motorists, look at the fiasco about not taking your bin in at a prescribed time or having the audacity to leave the lid up 2 inches, etc, etc.....SO as there are more and more of us being made to feel like "criminals", more and more will be tempted to act like "criminals".

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 17:29 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

2 points

1. mobile cameras work perfectly well at night, reduced focal length is all that is required, ambient street lighting provides enough light to obtain vehicle vrm, make and sometimes driver id, i do not know enough about the new breed of camera to comment, but i dont think they would be adopted if the facility for night time use was reduced

2. cloned vehicles

are you saying that individuals purely clone number plates to avoid camera detection, and therefore blat around at what ever speed they want, with the millions of cameras out there catching speeding motorists these vehicles will be flagged pretty quickly :bunker: ,

i can understand your campaign needing a boost but really.

cars are cloned to avoid paying insurance, mot and tax duty or to assist in the proceeds of low level crime, filling a tank of petrol on cloned plates is a common occurence in parts, the plates are attached / removed from the car literally a few hundred yards from the filling station, another common trend with cloned plates is shoplifting drive off with stolen goods remove the plates asap to put there hounds off the scent, ihave heard of whole trolley loads off goods being loaded into transit type vans, so no IMO cloned vehicles are not used to avoid speeding tickets

Quote:
Lum

I overheard a conversation in a hotel restaraunt the other night while on an overnight trip due to work, some guy in a suit saying that when he goes out on a long trip he sticks a bin-bag to the front of his car, looking like he's just driven into it and it's lodged there, then if he misses a front facing camera, he's still safe. His mates were all like "nice one" and I noticed a few other smiles from people on neighbouring tables.

out of curiosity how does he manage in the other 95% of the trunk road network not covered by cameras but our good old RPU, its the same as the boy racers who dash mount their front plates to avoid detection, or the small grease coverd plate on a motorbike, this is the type of person who's intention is to avoid camera detection

but do they :bunker:

http://www.teletrafficuk.com/commander.htm

Quote:
Developed from previous requests the Commander video system provides the all round solution to mobile enforcement. Integrated with video images from the Concept DVD laser video capture the resultant four image presentation gives a “360” view of the location.

Recorded to a stand alone DVD the Commander system provides side and rear facing video imaging encompassing the whole enforcement scene and providing video security for the operating vehicle.

Commander- The Comprehensive evidence gathering system.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 18:04 
User

camera operator wrote:
out of curiosity how does he manage in the other 95% of the trunk road network not covered by cameras but our good old RPU, its the same as the boy racers who dash mount their front plates to avoid detection, or the small grease coverd plate on a motorbike, this is the type of person who's intention is to avoid camera detection

I don't know. I didn't speak to the bloke directly and I don't pull the same stunt myself (I know that many people on forums use "I overheard" or "my mate" to mean "I do this, but don't want to admit it" but this genuinely isn't the case here).

I suspect his thoughts are that the police generally leave you alone up to about 85-90, especially late at night on the motorway if your driving is otherwise safe, sensible and legal, but the vans out there will be pinging people at 79mph regardless.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 18:08 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

camera operator wrote:
are you saying that individuals purely clone number plates to avoid camera detection, and therefore blat around at what ever speed they want, with the millions of cameras out there catching speeding motorists these vehicles will be flagged pretty quickly :bunker: ,

I'm sure someone criminal enough to want to use cloned plates will be smart enough to alter obfuscation methods/details on a regular basis; simply remaining with the same clone is asking to be caught. You've even given more methods of circumvention, none of which requires a criminal mastermind to figure out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 00:43 
Site Admin

camera operator wrote:

I beg your pardon ! No I am NOT suggesting honest decent and law abiding people will place cloned numberplates on theirs cars.
Because of the lack of police on the roads, a cloned number plate will avoid detection to those that are dishonest and not law abiding because the poor and true owner of the real vehicle will be sent all the fines. As tickets are 2 weeks 'late' the police will have such an extremely cold trail to follow they won't bother, and it will always lead them back to the true owner of that plate too ! There are already so many cloned plates too, it is already out of control. The ANPR camera's may catch a few cloned cars when the police are present, but that will be very few.
So the poor law abiding and honest car owner with the paper trail, gets the ticket/s s/he then has to try and defend their innocence and then decide to go to Court or not, if they cannot easily prove where they were. With the legal system now trying to ask for payment even if you win, many law abiding people who were never the perpetrator in the first place, may accept the ticket, as it is less stressful and less time consuming.
The dishonest are favoured because of a distinct lack of Police on the roads and because of total over reliance in camera systems being some one stop answer of which they are clearly not.
- of course - I cannot see why this has been mis-understood, but I hope that now clearly clarifies this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 09:49 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
camera operator wrote:

I beg your pardon ! No I am NOT suggesting honest decent and law abiding people will place cloned numberplates on theirs cars.
Because of the lack of police on the roads, a cloned number plate will avoid detection to those that are dishonest and not law abiding because the poor and true owner of the real vehicle will be sent all the fines. As tickets are 2 weeks 'late' the police will have such an extremely cold trail to follow they won't bother, and it will always lead them back to the true owner of that plate too ! There are already so many cloned plates too, it is already out of control. The ANPR camera's may catch a few cloned cars when the police are present, but that will be very few.
So the poor law abiding and honest car owner with the paper trail, gets the ticket/s s/he then has to try and defend their innocence and then decide to go to Court or not, if they cannot easily prove where they were. With the legal system now trying to ask for payment even if you win, many law abiding people who were never the perpetrator in the first place, may accept the ticket, as it is less stressful and less time consuming.
The dishonest are favoured because of a distinct lack of Police on the roads and because of total over reliance in camera systems being some one stop answer of which they are clearly not.
- of course - I cannot see why this has been mis-understood, but I hope that now clearly clarifies this.

If a vehicle keeper indicates a cloned plate further investigations may be made to investigate this. If it shows as being cloned, most show they are not, it will be flagged to ANPR.
The flagging to ANPR turns the heat up considerably.
A registered keeper idly claiming a cloned plate is likely to come to grief.
You really should seek advice before you try to clear something up you know little of.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:37 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

GreenShed wrote:
If a vehicle keeper indicates a cloned plate further investigations may be made to investigate this. If it shows as being cloned, most show they are not, it will be flagged to ANPR.
You really should seek advice before you try to clear something up you know little of.

I believe I've already addressed this just a few posts ago.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:41 
User

According to constable Lucy Palfreyman at Sussex police, they had 300 pairs of plates stolen from vehicles in 2006, and so they introduced a security screw which she was giving away to motorists who applied.

She put camera enforcement as the principle driving force behind the thefts.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:44 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Ernest Marsh wrote:
According to constable Lucy Palfreyman at Sussex police, they had 300 pairs of plates stolen from vehicles in 2006, and so they introduced a security screw which she was giving away to motorists who applied.

She put camera enforcement as the principle driving force behind the thefts.

... and that's just stolen, as opposed to copied (or other forms of obfuscation).
Stolen plates would be the minority of those groups simply because the owner would report it very quickly; they won’t report a clone until they’ve received the NIP, and even then they may not report it (which I think was Claire's point from the start) partly because of the tactics of groups like RSS who pressure 'offenders' into not questioning the validity of the offence.
This part of the problem would just disappear if the SCPs simply automatically gave a copy of their evidence with the NIP, how difficult can doing that be? I guess victims are easier to target than criminals, unless the SCPs are hiding something else :scratchchin:

Greensheed,

It seems you're in denial about this rather obvious clone problem; I can't help but wonder why. Are you associated with RSS in any way?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:39 
Site Admin

GreenShed wrote:

What is so hard to understand ?
Criminals and those that wish to 'lie' (since you now wish to introduce this possibility) and any and all other possibilities, who wish to potentially travel 'scot free', sometimes use cloned number plates.
The law abiding person who's number plate has been cloned, has to defend or pay up and many *will* 'just' pay up for an easier life.
Flagging up on ANPR was never denied it's just no matter how much it is flagged up, unless you have a police unit in attendance (and I appreciate that sometimes you do) no amount of yelling or screaming at the innocent original owner of the number plate can help you track down those that have 'cloned'. I never suggested for a minute that Police won't look into it - I am quite sure they end up wasting many man hours doing this frustrating work.
Since most Police forces are part of the CP's then they do rather have themselves to blame having (as has already been pointed out to you), introduced cameras and a need to enforce (or over-enforce) by relying on those number plates.
What 'advice' might I 'seek'? It bothers me more that this was not thoroughly researched prior to using such devices.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 19:22 
User

Most people who drive around on "wrong" plates do not do so all the time. if you're going into London and wish to avoid the cc you just change plates on the way....that way the risk of anpr detection is considerably lessened. It's easier to just plaster it with mud.....

56 years after it was decided it was needed, the Bedford Bypass is nearing completion. The last single carriageway length of it.We have the most photogenic mayor though, always being photographed doing nothing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 17:24 

Quote:
They added that cameras, which could pick up other driving offences such as dangerous overtaking and motorists using a mobile phone while driving, are also being investigated.

So how would a static camera pick up mobile phone use or dangerous overtakes?

It would seem to me that someone maybe less than honest with the truth here. I can spot the above were I being driven in a car or set up an OP with night vision gear, but how does a camera recognise a driver using a mobile ???

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 19:04 
User

Safety Engineer wrote:
It would seem to me that someone maybe less than honest with the truth here. I can spot the above were I being driven in a car or set up an OP with night vision gear, but how does a camera recognise a driver using a mobile ???

The camera they are refering to is more commonly known as a talivan. They have human beings operating them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 19:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Lum wrote:
Safety Engineer wrote:

The camera they are refering to is more commonly known as a talivan. They have human beings operating them.

They can't see inside vehicles during the night.