It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 00:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The camera that lies...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 01:16 
Site Admin

Henley Standard here
Henley Standard wrote:
The camera that lies...
A SPEED camera on the road dubbed the “13 bends of death” has been mysteriously felled.

The yellow box device on the A4074 at Cane End was discovered by the Standard on Saturday lying on the ground near the Palm Tree restaurant, partially uprooted but with the camera still intact.

Leaflets stating “police aware” had been stuck on the metal casing.
The incident comes just weeks before the speed limit at the notorious accident blackspot is lowered from 50mph to 40mph — one of 60 places in Oxfordshire where limits are to be cut by the county council.
The limit on the A4130 at Bix will be reduced from 50mph to 40mph as it will be on part of the A4074 near Benson. The road from south of the new 40mph limit to south of its junction with Benson Lane will be cut from 60mph to 50mph.
The county council consulted parish and town councils as part of a routine review of speed limits and the changes will come into effect from next month. Implementation will cost £240,000.

Councillor Rodney Rose, cabinet member for traffic, said that with towns and villages growing what might have been sensible speed limits five or 10 years ago may no longer be appropriate. He said: “It is common sense to periodically review speed limits.The need for a review in Oxfordshire was given extra impetus when the Government asked all highways authorities to look at speed limits in order to get some countrywide uniformity in line with the national guidelines.

“We listened attentively to comments from parish councils and made changes as a result. We are now very pleased to be in a position to start putting the new limits in place.” Meanwhile, speed cameras in Oxfordshire that were switched off in August are nearer to being reactivated.
County councillor Carol Viney told a meeting of Kidmore End Parish Council: “The police want them. They are going to find ways to make sure the funding is available — it won’t cost the county council anything.”

The 72 fixed and 89 mobile cameras were turned off after the council axed a £600,000 grant to the Thames Valley Safer Roads Partnership, which is responsible for speed enforcement.
There are 17 fixed cameras in the Standard’s circulation area.

A Thames Valley Police spokesman said: “Speed continues to be one of the main risk factors on the roads and safety cameras form an important part of tackling driver behaviour.”
Be nice to know how he calculates it to be a 'main risk factor' ! And a shame that they don't address the causes either - talk about miss the point !

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:58 

I was travelling through an area last night that I don't normally travel. There was one of those boards on the side of the road that lights up with your speed as you approach it. I was quite impressed that as I approached it, still some distance off, it flashed up my speed of 31 (I'm a good boy me!)and thought "that's quite sensitive to pick me up at this distance, (quite late at night and no other traffic about), then it went out and then flashed again at 34 quickly dropping to 31. Now I hadn't changed my speed in that short time so was the 34 reading slippage? I would guess so and obviously, if that was a speed camera I would have over read by 3MPH, enough for a conviction if I had been going 2MPH faster.
Of course our "expert", Greenshed says there is no such thing as slippage..really?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 21:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I suspect the sign would have been radar, measuring the doppler shift of returned signals, and as such I believe not subject to the phenomenon of slippage, which is peculiar to devices which measure the change of distance with time.

Off the top of my head, I think Bix is at the end of a section of NSL dual carriageway. I came that way tonight. If their issue there is that they have measured people exceeding the posted limit, then I do not believe that a lower limit will see increased compliance, or indeed lower speeds.